No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: trapping in the snow [Re: ] #6375190
11/16/18 03:28 PM
11/16/18 03:28 PM
Tanana, Alaska
S
Stan Z Offline
trapper
Stan Z  Offline
trapper
S

Tanana, Alaska
Wylee - For what I call my protected marten pole sets the bait is the marten bait directly above the big trap about 3'. My line is basically a protected pole set every 10 marten traps and some special snares and traps with scents for the smart ones here and there. If it's a baited wolf/wolverine set for non shy animals the bait is often visible and wired to some bushes or tree with the trap out front. In open country I sometimes put the bait directly under the trap and they get caught digging down. If a visible bait is not used cause I'm targeting a smart/shy animal I usually bury the blood or bait say 3' away maybe 6" under snow and have 2 -3 big traps around. All those special sets are harder to maintain and blowing snow can constantly mess them up. I trap with dogs so harder to set way off trail and be sneaky. Hard to hide a team of dogs presence at the set areas and often don't worry about it.

Nefru - Put bait under just enough snow they have to dig it out some, Traps are set/bedded much like Ryan's pictures and snow is cold enough up here it don't freeze as hard maybe but trap cover is small enough it doesn't restrict jaws coming up much - I might like 1/8" of my placed snow on cover and let fresh fallen snow get a couple/3 inches deep before I reset cause of too much snow on pan.

Re: trapping in the snow [Re: Nefru] #6375574
11/17/18 12:07 AM
11/17/18 12:07 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Nefru, here are a couple of pics of one of my walk through cubbies. I couldn't find any of the posts where I showed and went in detail about them. I will look for more pics.

I try to make them roughly 3' tall and at least 2' wide and various lengths. I like to turn the natural area into the walk through cubby. In the pics below I have 2 trees (scrub oak on the right and a juniper on the left) these act as side and roof supports. I then add branches to increase the size of the sides and the roof. I have other pics where a boulder is one side and a tree on the other, expand the size add a roof done.

I place a trap at both entrances (just under the roof) with bait in the middle of the floor (can be centered or to the left or right) with a splash of urine (once in awhile), lure is usually placed on the roof so the wind carries the smell. I usually hang a few strands of Christmas tinsel on the inside of the roof for added appeal. For the cubby pictured below I used cable extensions tied to the tree as the ground is impossible to use an anchor. This particular cubby can be seen from higher ground and stands out in the snow. This cubby usually produces several gray's every year I set it. I've also taken at least 1 coyote from it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is a distant view of my cubby which had a gray in it.
[Linked Image]

End of a season and had someone setting off my traps hence the reason they are sloppy. Worked with wardens to set a sting up but the season ended before we nabbed him.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rock walk through cubby with a cat in it
[Linked Image]

Last edited by adam m; 11/17/18 01:20 AM. Reason: added pics
Re: trapping in the snow [Re: Nefru] #6375587
11/17/18 12:31 AM
11/17/18 12:31 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
When I used to use footholds in the snow,I liked the #3 double longsprings.First I would tramp the snow down about in a 3 foot circle on one side of a spruce tree,then I would dig a bed in the packed snow near the base of the tree,,line it with spruce branches,then take several spruce branches and shove them thru the springs to keep the trap from wabbling.I would use small spruce tips between the jaws,then brush a bit of snow over all.The trap would never freeze down when laid on the spruce branches.I always made this set at the base of a tree and took a lot of foxes using just bladder urine.
I can set 8 snares at a jackpot in the time it takes to make one of those sets.

Last edited by Boco; 11/17/18 12:37 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: trapping in the snow [Re: Nefru] #6375598
11/17/18 01:22 AM
11/17/18 01:22 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
They are time consuming for sure Boco.

Re: trapping in the snow [Re: ] #6375619
11/17/18 03:16 AM
11/17/18 03:16 AM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Originally Posted by Wylee
Ryan did you put anything over the trap before covering with snow? Thanks for the pictures, explains a lot. I tend to over think things...i need to keep it simple. I dont even want to mention my snaring debacle of last year.

A split two ply paper towel and use a single ply. Just enough snow to cover the edges and make the trap disappear.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: trapping in the snow [Re: Nefru] #6376214
11/17/18 11:26 PM
11/17/18 11:26 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Here in Wy it depends on the snow and temperatures but most time snow is not a good bedding material here it goes from powder dry to wet then freezes try hay, pine duff or sifted animal manure which has salt in it and works well. If all else fails go to waxed soil or salted.

Re: trapping in the snow [Re: Nefru] #6402736
12/19/18 02:27 AM
12/19/18 02:27 AM
Tanana, Alaska
S
Stan Z Offline
trapper
Stan Z  Offline
trapper
S

Tanana, Alaska
Just put this video on my YouTube channel. https://youtu.be/N6GaLdKCnRk
Could have easily been titled trapping in snow. Might be interesting to those who trap in wet snow or dirt. Often the snow that falls on say Nov 1st will be soft (although denser) come April. Lots of dog team talk so beware if not a dog fan. Stan
Day on the Trapline With the Dogs and Stan - Stan Zuray

Last edited by Stan Z; 12/19/18 02:28 AM. Reason: clarity
Re: trapping in the snow [Re: Nefru] #6402749
12/19/18 05:59 AM
12/19/18 05:59 AM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
Loved the video Stan!
Wylee, Nefru there is some pretty good threads in the archives on hay sets. Everyone has different techniques and purposes. I live in south central AK and we get varying temps through the season, anywhere from +40 to -20 and that changes weekly smile Then there is the snow, anywhere from none to a few feet. I get alot of that wet sticky crap, up in the interior for the most part due to colder temps they get the dry snow. Don't get me wrong, when I say dry it is powder but you disturb it it becomes hard as a rock.
I use snow holes, same as a dirt hole set, if the temps stay +20 or below. Wax paper under the trap in the bed and wax paper over the trap under the loose jaw. and a real thin layer of snow over the top. You can do that with a paddle, a frying pan utensil, or use a sifter held up high. Less is best smile Witht those sets I won't touch them again until we get 6+ inches of snow or we get a thaw.
For the hay sets, just picture a dirt hole made out of hay in the snow, bed the trap on top of hay, and put a vary fine layer of hay over the trap just enough to conceal it, Alot of time I will take a sifter and sift snow over the top to blend it in a little. And again I won't touch it again until we have +6 inches of snow or get a serious thaw.
The best thing I can tell you is to read and go try different things out and find what works on your line. There are a ton of different methods out there, finding what works for you is the challenge smile

Re: trapping in the snow [Re: Nefru] #6403000
12/19/18 12:35 PM
12/19/18 12:35 PM
Hayden, Idaho
B
BlueDuck Offline
trapper
BlueDuck  Offline
trapper
B

Hayden, Idaho
Great video Stan. Love the dog work.

Re: trapping in the snow [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6403018
12/19/18 01:00 PM
12/19/18 01:00 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Jonnytrapper
I don't think they truly hibernate but coon sure do get scarce once the bad weather hits.

They'll come out during a thaw. I saw a dead one that got ironed out on the road a week or so back.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread