Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Skunk Quill #6373441
11/14/18 12:36 PM
11/14/18 12:36 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline OP
trapper
wkimble1  Offline OP
trapper
W

West Virginia
I may not get an answer here but here goes. Are there any secrets anyone is willing to share on how to keep skunk quill strong in lures?

Re: Skunk Quill [Re: wkimble1] #6373513
11/14/18 02:53 PM
11/14/18 02:53 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
JR and Sons has a product called Laurel oil they claim makes a good holder for skunk, I've never used it so can't say personally. I got a jar full of full skunk pods from a friend that had been aging for at least two and half yrs. I ground them up and so far I like working with them better than straight essence. I'm new to this game but the odor seems to hold better in the manner and easier to work with though the odor is slightly different than straight essence.

Re: Skunk Quill [Re: wkimble1] #6374118
11/15/18 10:24 AM
11/15/18 10:24 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
When you figure that one out let us all know. smile

Skunk essence vapor is extremely difficult to contain if not impossible to keep from bleeding from the existing containers and closures we currently have available. For consumer use of a product consider the frequent use of the container for regular use removing and replacing the cap and you can see how this is a difficult scenario to control.

Spiking some product is a good practice at times during the season if the need is there in your opinion however I don't find that to be the case when I trap. Spending more time in determining better location selection is time and effort better spent in my experience.

I have lures that have no skunk odor in a formula that produce better then some that do many times. Skunk essence has its place in trapping but many trappers over rate its value and feel the more stink the better. An experienced trapper knows when it has purpose and value to use. A hint of skunk is very often more attractive then a nose burner type product.

The function of essence is to take advantage of its characteristics of its volatility. Once you start to try to hold it too much you retard the vapor release and at times significantly so depending upon the material used in an attempt to hold and control its function.

Once certain materials have encapsulated and coated much of the raw essence material it can sharply reduce and deaden its original potential. At times this odor softening is a desired result in some formulas.

Re: Skunk Quill [Re: wkimble1] #6374121
11/15/18 10:29 AM
11/15/18 10:29 AM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline OP
trapper
wkimble1  Offline OP
trapper
W

West Virginia
Thanks for the reply Bob. I buy all of my lure making products from you and was hoping maybe you'd chime in. I've messed with a lot of different formulations using quill and it seems that it always dissipates quite a bit after a week or so. Ill keep trying. Maybe ill figure out the secret and get rich, lol.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91