No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: w side rd 151] #6374591
11/15/18 09:25 PM
11/15/18 09:25 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
The advent of who shot the highest scoring antlered deer has changed the way and the why people hunt them. People get a few pictures of a truly large buck on their trail camera and they think that is their deer .. Most hunters hunt their whole lifetime and never see a buck that would score 150 . And many including myself would not be able to begin to estimate what a 150 scoring buck looks like while in the woods . Add in the fact that unless you own or control access to a very large chunk of land .You can not manage that land to protect certain deer . A whitetail can cover a lot of territory in a short amount of time . Several years ago I watched a herd of doe cross through 6 different properties in about 25 minutes . I understand in the Midwest it might not be like that But if a deer gets on it's feet and decides to go elsewhere that could be quite far from where it had been . Adding car collisions coyotes and poachers to the mix and no one it certain to kill a certain buck .Yes some people do it but it is a very small number . And some people become angry with those that are either very very good or just get lucky . All any of us can control is our own actions . So If you did nothing to provoke his complaints toward you just need to keep doing what you have in the past . He is not going to have a change of his attitude towards every other hunter but himself.

Good advice and an insightful post.
I think it would be beneficial for a lot of deer hunters to go north and shoot a moose. You might wonder whatever possessed you to want to shoot a tiny deer !

Mean As Nails
Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374614
11/15/18 09:48 PM
11/15/18 09:48 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Sounds like a typical snowflake

Next deer you gut , be sure to leave a bloody hand print on his precious no trespass sign

Last edited by AntiGov; 11/15/18 09:49 PM.

Report a post club - Non member

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374628
11/15/18 10:01 PM
11/15/18 10:01 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
As for the a-hole title ,If the person is really sincere in calling me that I like too tell them they are incorrect in that assumption .I tell them I have spent my whole lifetime working on being One and I am a professional a-hole and they need to get their facts right .

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: w side rd 151] #6374650
11/15/18 10:27 PM
11/15/18 10:27 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
As for the a-hole title ,If the person is really sincere in calling me that I like too tell them they are incorrect in that assumption .I tell them I have spent my whole lifetime working on being One and I am a professional a-hole and they need to get their facts right .

x2. Lol

I get told I'm one all the time... Whatever. I sleep well.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374652
11/15/18 10:30 PM
11/15/18 10:30 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Your mistake was to call in the first place. You gave him exactly what he wanted. You don't go over there so who cares about the signs?

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Mike in A-town] #6374709
11/15/18 11:46 PM
11/15/18 11:46 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

x2. Lol

I get told I'm one all the time... Whatever. I sleep well.

Mike

I'm a retired one but like to stay in practice. Keep sharp .

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374712
11/15/18 11:54 PM
11/15/18 11:54 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Deer season is "hate your neighbor week"

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374719
11/16/18 12:06 AM
11/16/18 12:06 AM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
I am an expert on A-holes. I am a professional A-hole. You are not even close to being one. Now that guy, he has a PH D in A-hole.

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374722
11/16/18 12:11 AM
11/16/18 12:11 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Every day I get down on my knees and thank GOD I left your world.

Who is John Galt?
Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: pass-thru] #6374799
11/16/18 06:11 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted by pass-thru
Your mistake was to call in the first place. You gave him exactly what he wanted. You don't go over there so who cares about the signs?

Yea but I called because I thought someone must be accessing his property via the piece I hunt on Was trying to be neighborly and address any issues with trespassers

I'm still shaking my head about him, as if I'm suppose to stop hunting from my stand because it's by where the deer go to his property from the area I've been hunting for ten years. So I must be doing something right if after ten years the deer are still going by my stand

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374800
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Make sure you understand the relationship between your neighbor and the landowner that gave you permission. I've seen a lot of situations like this where the owner tries to keep peace in the area by asking you not to hunt there anymore or your neighbor tries to lease the land or etc. If your on solid ground with the landowner that gave you permission- I wouldn't let it bother you at all- you haven't done anything wrong.

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374810
11/16/18 06:46 AM
11/16/18 06:46 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Yea the land owner asked me ten years ago to come and hunt his property. He's not a hunter and wanted deer removed. Said a couple of guys had been hunting it for several years and had only killed one deer. I told him I had a good deer hunting locations but would help him out

So this is what happen the first two times I hunted it ten years ago

Bow hunting exact same stand I was in yesterday morning, prim time evening hunt a buck and a doe are walking edge of field headed my way. About 80'yards away. Suddenly they spook and run off. Over the hill comes some guy in street close. He turns and leaves to the "other neighbor who doesn't like me" property. Five minutes later another guy come walking same route So now I'm ticked off. I yell at him from my stand "what are you doing". He says looking for a deer I get down have a "discussion" with the guy (it's the other neighbor that doesn't like me". And I tell him you wecome to retrieve shot deer over here but not during prime hunting, come after dark and have a blood trail (he had none and was "just looking for blood "

So I don't return until a couple of days in to firearms season for my second hunt (same stand). While walking to my stand I killed 3 deer 2 doe and a small buck, I killed one more doe while sitting in my stand Then passed on more as I knew 4 deer where going to take a while to field dress and drag out (at this time we could by unlimited doe permits as the deer population was out of control in the area). So I go to the land owners house and let him know how the hunt went and that I would be a while out getting the deer retrieved Hes super excited and wants to join me in the retrieval as he has never hunted

After getting the deer out he says. "You seem to know how to kill deer, so you are in charge of the property now" ok thanks
He says "I mean it. Nobody hunts unless you let them"

So the following spring I ask for permission to turkey hunt ". He says I told you that you are in charge of hunting here. Do what ever you want "

Since that time I've brought youngsters out there to to get there first deer and helped his wife's boss get his first shot at a deer (he missed). I have a great relationship with him and they even call me when they are on vāctions to check on the house for them

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 11/16/18 06:52 AM.

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374812
11/16/18 06:47 AM
11/16/18 06:47 AM
Idaville, Indiana
M
MB750 Offline
trapper
MB750  Offline
trapper
M

Idaville, Indiana
I like the ones who say "I have nowhere to hunt". Most of the time it is because they never stop & ask for permission. My neighbor called me a couple days ago & asked ME to kill deer on him. It happens every year.

For years I have been tomstrap, now I must change because of the whims of the cyber world. NRA Life, ISTA Life, FTA Life, NTA Life
Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374824
11/16/18 07:03 AM
11/16/18 07:03 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
You're in a great position then-

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374833
11/16/18 07:20 AM
11/16/18 07:20 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Originally Posted by Michigan Trappin
Yea the land owner asked me ten years ago to come and hunt his property. He's not a hunter and wanted deer removed. Said a couple of guys had been hunting it for several years and had only killed one deer. I told him I had a good deer hunting locations but would help him out

So this is what happen the first two times I hunted it ten years ago

Bow hunting exact same stand I was in yesterday morning, prim time evening hunt a buck and a doe are walking edge of field headed my way. About 80'yards away. Suddenly they spook and run off. Over the hill comes some guy in street close. He turns and leaves to the "other neighbor who doesn't like me" property. Five minutes later another guy come walking same route So now I'm ticked off. I yell at him from my stand "what are you doing". He says looking for a deer I get down have a "discussion" with the guy (it's the other neighbor that doesn't like me". And I tell him you wecome to retrieve shot deer over here but not during prime hunting, come after dark and have a blood trail (he had none and was "just looking for blood "

So I don't return until a couple of days in to firearms season for my second hunt (same stand). While walking to my stand I killed 3 deer 2 doe and a small buck, I killed one more doe while sitting in my stand Then passed on more as I knew 4 deer where going to take a while to field dress and drag out (at this time we could by unlimited doe permits as the deer population was out of control in the area). So I go to the land owners house and let him know how the hunt went and that I would be a while out getting the deer retrieved Hes super excited and wants to join me in the retrieval as he has never hunted

After getting the deer out he says. "You seem to know how to kill deer, so you are in charge of the property now" ok thanks
He says "I mean it. Nobody hunts unless you let them"

So the following spring I ask for permission to turkey hunt ". He says I told you that you are in charge of hunting here. Do what ever you want "

Since that time I've brought youngsters out there to to get there first deer and helped his wife's boss get his first shot at a deer (he missed). I have a great relationship with him and they even call me when they are on vāctions to check on the house for them

Nice!

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Mark K] #6374836
11/16/18 07:22 AM
11/16/18 07:22 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Originally Posted by Mark K
I am an expert on A-holes. I am a professional A-hole.

Don't even have to try to be an a-hole, it just comes naturally......
laugh

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374839
11/16/18 07:24 AM
11/16/18 07:24 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
heck,i think it was David Allan Coe wrote our own song. whistle

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374864
11/16/18 08:19 AM
11/16/18 08:19 AM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
Glad there is just about no private land here..

laugh

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374922
11/16/18 09:37 AM
11/16/18 09:37 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
There are always those who think the success earned by others is due to them also even though they have not put in the work. This is just another form of whining about "income inequality." So long as there is inequality in talent and work ethic, there will be inequality in results. There is little to be gained by trying to change their minds. Your time is better spent maintaining your relationship with those who appreciate what you achieve.

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6374934
11/16/18 09:50 AM
11/16/18 09:50 AM
Mississippi
Mississippi Offline
trapper
Mississippi  Offline
trapper

Mississippi
I think you handled it very well, you never know what issues someone else may be dealing with and he decided to take it out on you.

Spending time with kids outdoors will built memories that last a lifetime.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread