Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Coyote dirthole set back #6376331
11/18/18 08:28 AM
11/18/18 08:28 AM
Downeast Maine
scalloper Offline OP
trapper
scalloper  Offline OP
trapper

Downeast Maine
I have read many times that the set back on a dirt hole should be about 9" or so. It happened again yesterday. We have about 4" of snow so I could see just what took place. Another coyote (this makes 6 in three weeks) dug out my dirt hole and put the dirt on the pan without touching the trap. I could see where its back feet were and again they dug out my hole because I was set bact to far IMO. About 10 years ago a good friend that trapped across the nation told me to jam the trap just like I would for a fox.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
Re: Coyote dirthole set back [Re: scalloper] #6376335
11/18/18 08:39 AM
11/18/18 08:39 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
You can change the angle of your hole, too. Straight down, they have to move up a little to work it. Low angle moves em back a little. Two holes and they shift from one to other more over your trap bed.
I use my outstretched hand as my guide, pinky to thumb, from edge of attractors to edge of pan. Others have different methods. Find what works for you and your coyotes. Make some sets closer, some farther back. I don't believe there is a correct way in every situation. I set post sets farther back than I do dirtholes, for example. No real science to it was just what worked for me and what I'm confident in.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Coyote dirthole set back [Re: scalloper] #6377377
11/19/18 07:18 PM
11/19/18 07:18 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Put the trap where it put its feet. There is not a hard and fast rule for this. Like jabNE says. You'll get a feel for it.
You can put some guides in the dirt too. I like small sticks sticking out of the dirt where I don't want them to step like left and right of the spring levers.
Make your hole real deep - did you ever look at how long a coyotes front leg is- make it a couple inches longer than his front leg. Then he can't dig it out and he will have to step around more to get it out.
Another way is to slope your entry to your dirthole and put the trap on the slope in a trench going down into the hole.
The two hole set work great too. I make my two holes about 20'' apart and then i put the trap out about 12'' from each hole centered. Use a stake and make each hole about 1'' around and 10'' deep and put a different lure in each one.
hope these ideas help

Just passin through
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91