No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Muskrat Question #6377682
11/19/18 11:32 PM
11/19/18 11:32 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline OP
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline OP
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
I only really started trapping last spring and watched a lot of youtube videos on water trapping (mostly 330_Maniac videos) and kind of got set on 110's and 120s for rats. But I didn't really have much luck on them. So a couple days ago I set a 220 in a bank den run and BAM, next day had a rat in it. Easy as that. Kind of got me thinking... maybe the smaller body grip traps aren't all they're cracked up to be for rats. Like they aren't comfortable going through such a small opening. I set the 220 there, because there were otter tracks in the mud going along the bank and I figured the otter might be using the run. I reset the 220 and added another 220 further down in the same run, as well as a 150 in what appears to be an old or less traveled run to a different bank den. We will see tomorrow when I check. But should I not bother with the 110s and 120s for rats? I really never had any luck on them.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Muskrat Question [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6377689
11/19/18 11:38 PM
11/19/18 11:38 PM
Kentucky
C
cadyshac Offline
trapper
cadyshac  Offline
trapper
C

Kentucky
110 works just fine for rats and mink, if you think an otter might happen along then 220 is fine. If it's a well used run put a colony trap (if legal) in there and get them all in a couple nights. If it's a wide run you need to "fence" it down with some sticks to guide the rat into the trap. If your allowed to trap bank dens then put the trap tight to the entrance. It's a whole lot easier to pack around a bunch of 110's for rats, 220 has it's place but is usually overkill for 'rats.

Re: Muskrat Question [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6377691
11/19/18 11:40 PM
11/19/18 11:40 PM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
110 size traps have caught a mountain of rats, but there are better traps out there. I prefer single spring 160s.

Re: Muskrat Question [Re: cadyshac] #6377701
11/19/18 11:58 PM
11/19/18 11:58 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline OP
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline OP
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted by cadyshac
110 works just fine for rats and mink, if you think an otter might happen along then 220 is fine. If it's a well used run put a colony trap (if legal) in there and get them all in a couple nights. If it's a wide run you need to "fence" it down with some sticks to guide the rat into the trap. If your allowed to trap bank dens then put the trap tight to the entrance. It's a whole lot easier to pack around a bunch of 110's for rats, 220 has it's place but is usually overkill for 'rats.

Yeah I have been blocking the sides of the runs where I used 110s and 120s for rats, but perhaps the runs were old ones and no longer active? I have thought about putting a trap right against the entrance, but wouldn't that block additional rats from getting in or out? Thank you for the advice.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread