No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Most Memorable Outdoor Experience #6379005
11/21/18 08:25 PM
11/21/18 08:25 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline OP
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline OP
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
After reading the thread about when did you start trapping and enjoying it immensely thought I would start another "memory lane " discussion. What is your most memorable outdoor experience ever. A memory involving trapping would be great , but let's open it to include any outdoor experience. Hunting , trapping, fishing, etc. I'll have to think on this one for awhile as I have many that comes to mind instantly. But to pick just one....... mmmmnnnnnnn!

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379008
11/21/18 08:27 PM
11/21/18 08:27 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Witnessing firsthand, the eruption of Mount St. Helens, May of 1980.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379013
11/21/18 08:34 PM
11/21/18 08:34 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
WOW that is impressive!!!!!!!

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: waggler] #6379014
11/21/18 08:37 PM
11/21/18 08:37 PM
western pa
G
goldnut Offline
trapper
goldnut  Offline
trapper
G

western pa
Originally Posted by waggler
Witnessing firsthand, the eruption of Mount St. Helens, May of 1980.

Come on man! No one can follow that!!
laugh :

Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379023
11/21/18 08:47 PM
11/21/18 08:47 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline OP
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline OP
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
Wow waggler, that will be a hard one to follow. Maybe I should change the 1 most memorable to several in you want. Then I wouldn't have to choose!!

Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379033
11/21/18 08:56 PM
11/21/18 08:56 PM
Nebraska
Mocular Offline
trapper
Mocular  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
While in the Navy our thermal camera picked up a very hot explosion on the surface several miles away. When we investigated we found a newly formed volcanic island rising out of the sea. It had just broken the surface that week and was still in the process of being named.

2023-24 Beaver I, Mink I
Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379044
11/21/18 09:04 PM
11/21/18 09:04 PM
western pa
G
goldnut Offline
trapper
goldnut  Offline
trapper
G

western pa
I guess my most memorable moment is a recent one. Last March I went to Wyoming to visit my daughter and son in law. Unknown to me she had plans, we got on a plane the next day and flew to Anchorage spent a few days there then drove up to Fairbanks. We stayed in a cabin there for a week. One night we headed out to look for the Northern lights. We got a great show that night! It made for quite a memory. Cant get back there soon enough. We were also there for the start of the Iditarod. That was very cool too!

Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379047
11/21/18 09:09 PM
11/21/18 09:09 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
I was hunting elk in Utah, It was late evening, could barely see. Was on a very narrow trail returning to camp, when a panicked bull elk rushed past me within a couple of feet.

Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379071
11/21/18 09:45 PM
11/21/18 09:45 PM
Central California
R
Rimrock1 Offline
trapper
Rimrock1  Offline
trapper
R

Central California
Walking across a dam in a rain storm. I watched a streak of lightening run off my boot into the ground. No permanent damage. (at least physically, lol) Just a numb feeling on my whole left side.

Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379105
11/21/18 10:14 PM
11/21/18 10:14 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
On road up Denali, I got within 20 yards of a hugh grizzly. Fortunately, I was in a bus.

Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379115
11/21/18 10:18 PM
11/21/18 10:18 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Wow ! Some good ones here !

When my daughter was about five, I had picked her up from school and ran a few errands.

Last thing we had to do was pick up about a dozen Canada goose floaters i had out on a pond as I was going to be hunting a different hole the next morning.

Since daylight was quickly fading and shooting hours were behind us , I didn't even bother to bring a gun . Just parked the truck , put on my waders , and her and I walked down to the pond . She was prattling on like five year old girls do , probably giving me her birthday and Christmas wish list.

Once we got down to the pond , I gave her instructions on where she could play while I went into the pond . I was able to watch her while I was hauling in decoys .

Soon as I had waded into my decoys , I heard that unmistakable ' honking ' coming from the north between a slight depression between hills . I looked up to see a group of about eight Greaters approaching with commitment . I bent at the waist and leaned forward until my torso was right at the surface , trying to hide amongst my decoys . I glanced over at Aeryn to see that she had found herself a hole to lay low in as she was watching , too. Pink Hello Kitty jacket and all.

I couldn't see the geese anymore . I could feel them . I could feel the air around me vibrating and could hear that barely discernable 'hum' that geese make as they're getting ready to sit down.

At the last possible second , I glanced up , and saw a grayish belly not two feet over me. I reached my hand up and stroked that massive bird's belly as it and the rest of the flock beat their wings to gain altitude.

I heard screams and "whoops" coming from Aeryn as she had watched the whole thing and didn't have the words
for her excitement , especially since they'd been within 10 yards of her, too.

I think about that every time I put on waders and hear a distant flock. Best day ever.

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: charles] #6379118
11/21/18 10:22 PM
11/21/18 10:22 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Online content

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Online Content

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by charles
On road up Denali, I got within 20 yards of a hugh grizzly. Fortunately, I was in a bus.

Is Hugh Grizzly related to Hugh Glass ?

Mean As Nails
Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379122
11/21/18 10:24 PM
11/21/18 10:24 PM
minnesota
M
mnsota Offline
trapper
mnsota  Offline
trapper
M

minnesota
Most memorable hunting escapade would be when the Minnesota highway patrol helicopter was called to rescue a friend of mine mired in mud when
out duck hunting tracking a wounded duck in an inch of water and feet of muck on bog shoes. Being disabled with the use of only one arm and attempting
a turn around he fell victim to the muck. Chest deep and sinking,his refusal to relinquish his shot gun to instructions per chopper request gained him status
in duck camp,..he refused to enter chopper with out his Browning!:
[Linked Image]

Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379126
11/21/18 10:25 PM
11/21/18 10:25 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Online content
trapper
white marlin  Online Content
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
1/2 dozen or so that I'll carry to my grave....won't mean much to others, but to me...priceless!

Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379136
11/21/18 10:42 PM
11/21/18 10:42 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Hunting with my Dad (his last hunt), my brother and my nephew. And I got to see my brother harvest his first deer. Sarge

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379151
11/21/18 10:55 PM
11/21/18 10:55 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline OP
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline OP
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
Here is one that ranks pretty high on my list. We were in Wyoming for a rifle elk hunt. We were just SE of Yellowstone in the Bridger Teton National forest. Somewhere SW of Togwotee pass. We could see Grand Teton Peak west of us. We knew we were in Grizzly bear country and took the needed precautions. We made base camp .... our wall tent away from the cook shack and no food at all where we slept. But after the first day, 4 of us hiked in pushing a cart up a logging road with enough gear for a spike camp several miles in and higher. We had 3 small tents. Mine was large enough where I kept my rifle , 44 mag pistol and bear spray inside with me. My buddies had small tents so they had their gear outside leaning up a the against a tree. In the middle of the nite one of the other guys woke up hearing a bear pretty close to our tents, he started hollering for me if I had a lite or my spray or a gun. I hollered back "Where's yours"? He told me up against a tree..... heard him mumbling ... stupid, stupid, stupid. I grabbed a cheap led lite and got out of my tent. The bear was about 20 to 30 yards away and was kinda agitated. We could see his eyes and the form of his body but that was it. He left after we hollered. The next nite ... same thing only this time we were ready. And had brighter lites. This time the bear was way closer. Snapping his jaws and huffing. We easily could see he was a grizzly. We hollered and blew whistles and clapped. He would not retreat. For a long time it was a stand off. Finally he left. At first lite we broke camp and headed for base camp. We did not hunt so deep after that. The rangers said we did the right thing. Pretty scary!!

Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379159
11/21/18 11:07 PM
11/21/18 11:07 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
I was there when my wife, daughter and son shot their first deer. I was way more excited then I ever was when I shot something, I had a terrible time staying composed enough to keep them calm. The next best was walking up to my first bobcat, I am still waiting for a wolf.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379193
11/21/18 11:46 PM
11/21/18 11:46 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
One would be a few years back working at Badlands National Park,we were getting ready for the Bison roundup in October and had worked late getting the corral ready.Keep in mind at that time I had never seen a buffalo in my life,tamed or otherwise.We were driving out of the Sage Creek Wilderness Area,where the buffalo were located and I happened to look over to the right down into a valley.There were hundreds of buffalo scattered in small groups,some were loners,through out that whole valley.It was a scene out of the 18th-early 19th century.I remember staring at the sight.Later a local showed me a buffalo shoulder blade with a stone arrowhead embedded in it,his aunt found it in the same area about 70-80 years ago.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: NebrCatMan] #6379202
11/21/18 11:52 PM
11/21/18 11:52 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Scouting for whitetails not far from a shopping mall when I stumbled upon the empty package which once contained a device intended for aiding things marital. The picture on the package indicated that the apparatus included a Strap for the purpose of keeping it On.
Being instantly alarmed by the disturbing find, I carefully scanned my immediate proximity, especially my six o'clock.
Soon enough, I found the contents of said package affixed to a tree at slightly lower than belt high.
I could not get out of that piece of woods quick enough! I would have crawled on my belly through a room full of rattlesnakes, tarantulas, and red-haired women to get away from that spot!
What is wrong with people???

Re: Most Memorable Outdoor Experience [Re: 52Carl] #6379204
11/21/18 11:55 PM
11/21/18 11:55 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Scouting for whitetails not far from a shopping mall when I stumbled upon the empty package which once contained a device intended for aiding things marital. The picture on the package indicated that the apparatus included a Strap for the purpose of keeping it On.
Being instantly alarmed by the disturbing find, I carefully scanned my immediate proximity, especially my six o'clock.
Soon enough, I found the contents of said package affixed to a tree at slightly lower than belt high.
I could not get out of that piece of woods quick enough! I would have crawled on my belly through a room full of rattlesnakes, tarantulas, and red-haired women to get away from that spot!
What is wrong with people???

You didn't hear banjo's playing did you? Sarge

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread