Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Plastic storage bottles #6379600
11/22/18 01:32 PM
11/22/18 01:32 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline OP
trapper
Teacher  Offline OP
trapper

Rochester, MN
First, I’m not a chemist. However, it was my minor in college. What I’ve observed and learned lately is that some of the compounds in lures for the most part and baits, to a lesser degree, interact with plastic containers. I’m retired from the field of public health and Food Safety class teaching. Today I do grocery store product demos. In fact, I may be the only male demo person in southern Minnesota. This sets the stage for my plastics observation.

The product being promoted at the demos is a citric acid based fruit and vegetable cleaner. The basic component is acetate. I’ve been told it is not vinegar. The problem we’re experiencing is called paneling. This is where the plastic bottles (HPLC based plastic) appear to have had the air sucked out of them. But when you open them up you realize the plastic has been affected and mis-shapened by the chemicals within them, not a loss of air. So far we’ve been able to correct this by going to PET based plastic bottles.

It takes months, stored at temperatures above about 65 degrees for this (paneling) to occur. Our bottle sizes are 8, 16, and 64-ounces. Tests have shown the concentrated product has not been affected. Nor has its efficacy been diminished. But what about plastic lure bottles that are 1-4 ounces? I’ve received 1-4 ounce plastic bottles from dealers that were pretty dented due to paneling. It makes me wonder how long those bottles have been in storage? Am I getting newer stock or 3 year old stock? Is the testing of these new but paneled bottles on my shoulders or has it been done by the manufacturer? And by the end of the season, if I have a couple of ounces left, will there be more interaction between the lures and the plastic, which MIGHT reduce its strength more or not? I tend to buy my lures in glass and clean the threads at the end of the season. As of late, I also wrap the bottle tops with electrical tape just in case volatilization could take place.

Testing via use: all of the paneled, plastic bottles of lure worked as marketed. Coon have enough of a nose to check them out and a bunch actually got caught. My baits did pull canines as expected. Even though some of those jars of bait were years older. But my bottles of choice for liquid baits and lures is glass because reactions between the bottles and the product don’t seem to be taking place and there is a better chance it will have enough strength to make it through a second season.

Your thoughts are always welcome, especially if you’re a lure manufacturer.

Never too old to learn
Re: Plastic storage bottles [Re: Teacher] #6387453
12/01/18 07:01 PM
12/01/18 07:01 PM
MN
S
SkyeDancer Offline
trapper
SkyeDancer  Offline
trapper
S

MN
I buy my containers from trapper supply dealers and have observed this issue even after a year.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91