No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rattling Bucks #6385523
11/29/18 03:40 PM
11/29/18 03:40 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
Has anyone done much rattling for deer and what are your experiences and are you a believer in rattling? Does rattling work this time of year?

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385535
11/29/18 03:57 PM
11/29/18 03:57 PM
Oklahoma
M
Matt28 Offline
trapper
Matt28  Offline
trapper
M

Oklahoma
I truly believe it workes when it's the right time. I know that's a dumb thing to say but I can't explain it any better. I have rattled over and over with no luck then one day I get great responses and that may go on for a day or a week. Some years October here is when it works some years late November. I think it all goes in to if a buck hears you that dont have a doe with him and hasn't been whooped up on real bad by another deer he will put on a good show for you. I haven't had great luck with just rattling and no grunts always seems to work best with some grunts thrown in.

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: Matt28] #6385562
11/29/18 04:21 PM
11/29/18 04:21 PM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
Originally Posted by Matt28
I truly believe it workes when it's the right time. I know that's a dumb thing to say but I can't explain it any better. I have rattled over and over with no luck then one day I get great responses and that may go on for a day or a week. Some years October here is when it works some years late November. I think it all goes in to if a buck hears you that dont have a doe with him and hasn't been whooped up on real bad by another deer he will put on a good show for you. I haven't had great luck with just rattling and no grunts always seems to work best with some grunts thrown in.

This and adding scent to add to the mix. 2 different buck pees and doe in estoris.(spelling).
And add the ground noise to seal the deal.
But pressured deer are hard to call anytime.

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385563
11/29/18 04:22 PM
11/29/18 04:22 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
That makes a lot of sense. I also think your grunt call is something you need also just from reading and seeing it on tv people use them.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385567
11/29/18 04:27 PM
11/29/18 04:27 PM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
Use a grunt tube that is adjustable.
Then you can sound like both buck,with a move of the finger
And a doe can
Not all calls are created equal

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385573
11/29/18 04:32 PM
11/29/18 04:32 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
worked the first time I tried it in '73...3 bucks from 3 directions!
the trick is to start low volume and build up
ALSO, works when the rut is NOT in, but not so aggressive, since bucks spar at times
On the ground enables you to make leaf raking (pawing) and hoof stomping noises.
I usually set up a quick blind of fabric or netting to cover movement...leaning against a large tree
I've had them come ripping in and also sneaking in silently.

Does NOT work every time, just whenever they want to check it out.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385576
11/29/18 04:35 PM
11/29/18 04:35 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
all good advice above. just know that when you do rattle - the animal is expecting to find what he's hearing. be ready to act fast.

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385579
11/29/18 04:38 PM
11/29/18 04:38 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
Great advice. Will does respond and come check out the rattling sounds? I have heard they will at time also.

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385582
11/29/18 04:43 PM
11/29/18 04:43 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I've had my best luck rattling earlier in the season just as the bucks are starting to ramp-up on the testosterone. Light sparring to mimicking full blown fights. Having said that, I've called in ten deer with a grunt tube for every buck I've had respond to the antlers. I started calling deer twenty-five years ago and I've called in a bunch. Big ones, little ones and everything in between.

Keep in mind when calling that you become the hunted and mature deer tend to go downwind of the noise they're hearing. They want to know what they're walking into. I'm a firm believer there are a lot of guys who call in deer that have no idea a deer responded to their calling. They go downwind and stop, look and listen...and then there's their nose. Every once in a great while you'll meet a buck with a really nasty attitude that makes no effort to hide his presence. Those aren't the norm, not in my experience.

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385588
11/29/18 04:49 PM
11/29/18 04:49 PM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
My favorite call sequence is to imitate a short chase with the breeding sounds and ground sound.
As said you never see them all. I figure for everyone I see, 8-10 I don't see. For to many reason to list.
Remember, each animal is an individual not the same mind set as everyone else
Just like on here.lol

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385594
11/29/18 04:56 PM
11/29/18 04:56 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
I've rattled and grunted bucks (story to follow). BUT I've spooked bucks doing both. Run like they are on fire, spooked. I now leave the grunt tube and antlers in the garage.

Buy a doe bleat can. I've called far more bucks with the can and have NEVER spooked a single one. I don't hunt deer without one anymore.

Story: When I was young I rattled in a buck. First shot with the bow was a complete miss. Rattled again and back he comes. I shoot again and he runs out about 20 yards and stops. I figured I'd missed so I rattled him back in, fighting mad, and shoot again. He runs out and tips over. After looking at the blood trails in the snow, I realized the first shot did in fact miss. Second shot went clean through his heart. 3 rd arrow through the liver.
Younger than that I went through all 5 arrows, crawled down, belly crawled to my arrows, retrieved a couple and climbed back up on the tree and shot more. Bad day of shooting but still put one in the freezer and wounded none. Sometimes it doesn't go as planned and you need all your arrows.

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385596
11/29/18 04:57 PM
11/29/18 04:57 PM
Central IL
mrcobaltblue Offline
trapper
mrcobaltblue  Offline
trapper

Central IL
Over the last 15 years have rattled in many, many bucks (and a few does who were curious). When it comes to rattling, I've had deer respond in about every way you can imagine. Walking in, running in, sneaking in, coming in aggressive, circling around, standing off a distance and watching, etc. I have called in more than one deer on many occasions. I think the most I have ever called in at one time was four - three bucks and a doe.

I really started having success when I began using real antlers (as opposed to the plastic ones). The last two years I have used the Knight and Hale Pack Rack (the smaller one) and have really been pleased with it. I was skeptical because it's made of plastic and all but it has really produced for me. I also use the grunt call when I rattle. That seems to help. In fact I have rattled in deer that have hung up out of range but then gave them some grunts without the rattle and that lured them in. So my answer is - Yes. I believe in rattling and I would never be in the woods deer hunting with out the rattling antlers or the pack rack. Hope this helps - Mark

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385608
11/29/18 05:04 PM
11/29/18 05:04 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Good stuff. I'm a deer calling junkie. Sometimes I'll just give a single toot on my grunt tube every half hour or so, other times I'll mix in doe bleats with the grunt tube. You're trying to paint as enticing a picture as you can for the buck you're hoping to call.

One year when my mojo was strong, I was calling in deer every other day I went out with three mature bucks responding to one sequence. One came waltzing in like he owned the place and the other two circled downwind of me and I had no idea they were there until it was too late.

Give them time to respond and keep the faith.

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385618
11/29/18 05:17 PM
11/29/18 05:17 PM
UP of Michigan
B
billy Offline
trapper
billy  Offline
trapper
B

UP of Michigan
snowy, I have had the best luck rattling when there is a good number of older deer (bucks) in your area,they know when two bucks are fightin there is a doe or two around..like posco says you have to be able too see what is comeing into your rattling.depends on your area how to set up,want wind in your face and if you can some kind of a natural backing like a river,or ridge.like was said they will at times try to circle you. start out slow,just a little rattling and grunt too if you want every 15 to 20 min do it again,after third time I let it all go and I mean you gotta make it sound like two bucks are tryin to kill each other,stamp the ground break brush grunt for about 5 min then wait ,keep your eyes working.yes you will call in does also plus coyotes wolfs and hopefully your buck.and by the way cut the brow tines off your rattling horns they hurt ya.
good luck

Billy
Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: Posco] #6385620
11/29/18 05:25 PM
11/29/18 05:25 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by Posco
I've had my best luck rattling earlier in the season just as the bucks are starting to ramp-up on the testosterone. Light sparring to mimicking full blown fights. Having said that, I've called in ten deer with a grunt tube for every buck I've had respond to the antlers. I started calling deer twenty-five years ago and I've called in a bunch. Big ones, little ones and everything in between.

Keep in mind when calling that you become the hunted and mature deer tend to go downwind of the noise they're hearing. They want to know what they're walking into. I'm a firm believer there are a lot of guys who call in deer that have no idea a deer responded to their calling. They go downwind and stop, look and listen...and then there's their nose. Every once in a great while you'll meet a buck with a really nasty attitude that makes no effort to hide his presence. Those aren't the norm, not in my experience.

Agreed. You will not see a lot of the deer responding to your calling unless you are VERY STILL and VERY PATIENT.

-Goofy-
Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385840
11/29/18 09:37 PM
11/29/18 09:37 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
Interesting thanks for the guidance. It was another one of those years trying t get arrow a whitetail. They just out smart me time and again. We did very good on mule bucks this year but those whitetail are something else to hunt. lol

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385893
11/29/18 10:07 PM
11/29/18 10:07 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Online content
trapper
Jurassic Park  Online Content
trapper
J

MB
I’ve been rattling for about 5 years. Never rattled in a buck yet. Very frustrated with it. I use Knight and Hales rattle pack.
I need to find a set of antlers to rattle with.

Cold as ice!
Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385920
11/29/18 10:29 PM
11/29/18 10:29 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Some of my rattling devices. The one hooked to the tree is my favorite. A guy named Norm French invented it. It has a spring loaded clapper that makes contact with the paddles inside the trap. Yank on the string and it rattles coming toward you, release the string and the spring draws the clapper back through the paddles making a rattling noise as it passes back through the paddles. It sounds amazingly realistic and I've called deer with it. The idea is to set it up fifty to a hundred yards upwind so when the deer respond, you're downwind of them as they come in. I use heavy monofilament line. I usually dangle it from my stand and yank the cord. Same deal, rattles on its way up and on its way down.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: snowy] #6385973
11/29/18 11:15 PM
11/29/18 11:15 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
It works when it works.
Tried MANY times and had dismall response the vast majority.
What people see on t.v. is not what most of us have. That is a decent concentration of older age class buck that are in a controlled ( somewhat) environment.
The best luck I've had has been late Oct- early Nov.
Few places have the age structure and unmolested deer where rattling will work a decent percent of the time.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Rattling Bucks [Re: bucksnbears] #6386014
11/30/18 12:06 AM
11/30/18 12:06 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
^ thanks bucks. I get totally frustrated hunting whitetail my son has done good with them. In my life time I have only taken one whitetail bow hunting, I did kill one 30 plus years ago gun hunting. LOL Maybe next year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread