No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: NonPCfed] #6372939
11/13/18 07:05 PM
11/13/18 07:05 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by NonPCfed
You have the touch!! Did you filter some of your pixs? The sky is so interesting in a couple of them!! Enjoy your 10 days of running wild and best wishes for finishing your school degree.

Yep little touch up on the phone makes the skies look a little more interesting. The farmer can’t believe the coyotes run out in the middle of nowhere. I’m trying to get a couple good ones to blow up for him. He let me on an awfully large stretch of ground this season.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6379737
11/22/18 05:45 PM
11/22/18 05:45 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Well it's been a grind of a week. I pulled two extra shifts at the prison I work at in the beginning of the week. I've been making sure everything is ready for this next week's adventures. I snapped off the few traps I had out last week as things were getting pretty busy. I have two finals left to take this semester I wish I could hammer them out right now, but they don't open until next Monday. It looks as though Matt and I are going to get a little rain then 1-3 inches of snow with high's in the 30s for our first week. Could be better but it definitely could be worse. Either way I'll be out doing what I love for 10 days straight.

I got out and pre-dug dirtholes and trap beds prior to the freeze up that's coming. I figured I may as well get some sets in the ground ready. I have all but 20 traps out now just waiting to be baited and set. I've got three locations that have really trumped me in the past regarding travel routes. Last year prime locations went dead for the entire vacation, and I am really not sure why. I'm hoping with the snow on the ground I'll be able to get right on top of them or if they aren't there use those traps at different properties. One thing that's really stuck in my mind from talking with the guys that hammer those coyotes is the fact you can't catch them if they aren't there. The other two locations I didn't pre-dig are new to me, and have some real potential but once again I'm going to let the snow show me where the coyotes are going.

Here's a shot the other morning I went out and hit them in as fast as I could racing the sun and the freeze. As soon as it came across the horizon things got pretty slick out there mud wise. It'll likely be something we'll have to battle the entire time. I had 40 sets in generally two traps per square mile by about 1030 am.

[Linked Image]

The plan is to get all 60 sets running which is all I really want to keep running on the first day. It's pretty much going to be a grind, but traps in the back of my truck don't catch coyotes. I've got four 12 hour night shifts ahead of me left starting tonight, and Monday I'll be running with 0 sleep like a zombie but I'm going to get them in the ground. You can always sleep when you're dead right? My plan is to get all 60 foot holds in the first day, and the second day drop snares on travel routes I've found in the snow. I'll be letting loose on cats on the 1st so I'll add those traps on drags when the time comes. Matt will fill in the holes I miss as always and hopefully we can get a good run on them.

Here's a shot of another badger I caught the morning before I popped the few sets off I had out. These things are absolutely everywhere this year. Holes in almost every field. Matt's excited he calls them the silver gorillas. To someone that doesn't have them they're pretty cool. To me they are a pain but do have their place in bringing the yotes my direction. Sun was just hitting the horizon made for a nice picture.

[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6380027
11/23/18 08:58 AM
11/23/18 08:58 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Wade,
Always enjoy your posts. Great pictures. Always nice to get the family to come along.
If it ain't too noisy, what are you going back to school on? It takes a lot of hard work and determination to work, go to college and trap some. I know.
Keep up the good work and keep the pictures and posts coming.
mac

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: Mac] #6380380
11/23/18 09:01 PM
11/23/18 09:01 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Mac
Wade,
Always enjoy your posts. Great pictures. Always nice to get the family to come along.
If it ain't too noisy, what are you going back to school on? It takes a lot of hard work and determination to work, go to college and trap some. I know.
Keep up the good work and keep the pictures and posts coming.
mac

Hey Mac,
I work full time in the emergency room which I have for almost 10 years, and I work part time in medical in a prison for nursing. I'll have my nurse practitioner degree in a little over a year. The schooling isn't so bad as most of it is online, but I do have around 120 hours of clinical per semester (over 16 weeks) on top of working full time, and generally 12 hours a week at the prison. I've averaged around 48 hours a week over the last 7 years total. So I just really wasn't able to ever really get much going besides a few traps to keep me happy. That'll change Monday but the weather just gets rougher and rougher. We're looking at rain, snow, and then down in the teens followed by a half of inch of rain turning to freezing rain late next week. I hope the weathermen are wrong as always. Either way we are going to be out in it giving it our best. Matt's coming over 8 hours to trap so there's no saying no. I still have two finals to take for courses, but those are going to have to wait for a slow day on the line. I plan to set from the time I get off at 7 am on Monday until dark.

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6380385
11/23/18 09:09 PM
11/23/18 09:09 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
go get 'em wade!
I'm starting next Thursday and am watching weather like a hawk this weekend and rest of next week.
I'm ready, got everything sorted and ready to lock and load the night before. Been on horn with all of the landowners and got a green light on all across the board, even picked up 3 new farms I haven't seen before. neighbors of existing landowner relationships, got to love word of mouth!
starting to wonder if I put up enough waxed dirt now. Next year I bet I double down on what I did this year for sure.
Going to be some short nights each week for sure. by our family schedules I can't go some nights until well after 8:00PM, or get up at 3:00AM and run them before school and work, but hey season only comes once a year.
keep us posted!
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6380386
11/23/18 09:10 PM
11/23/18 09:10 PM
texas
L
la4wd54 Offline
trapper
la4wd54  Offline
trapper
L

texas
Son that's the work ethnic that built this country. Go get um!!! Wish more of your generation had it.

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: la4wd54] #6382225
11/25/18 10:58 PM
11/25/18 10:58 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by la4wd54
Son that's the work ethnic that built this country. Go get um!!! Wish more of your generation had it.

Just how I was raised I guess...problem with my generation starts with their parents in my opinion. As usual Matt brought a pretty good string of weather with him to Nebraska. Matt made it in tonight finally after quite some time on the road. Guy drove thru a blizzard to come kill coyotes so I guess I don't have any room to complain. Once I get off at 7 we're going to go see what the country has to offer us. We got about an inch of slush, 6-8 inches of snow, and from what I've heard from people in the country I've got 5-6 foot drifts to dig through in the morning. Don't know how fast we'll get em out but we're going to get something out.

Here's a picture Matt sent before his departure, I bet his truck looks amazing now.
[Linked Image]

Here's a shot out the back door of the ambulance bay tonight. Picture doesn't do it a whole lot of justice, but I'll snap some in the morning. There were trucks getting stuck in the parking lot this morning in the drifts from what I've been told. One thing about Matt and I out trapping even a horrible day trapping is better than one in the office.
[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6384448
11/28/18 02:29 PM
11/28/18 02:29 PM
MO-IL
greggsinthehouse Offline
trapper
greggsinthehouse  Offline
trapper

MO-IL
Good Luck Wade!

Originally Posted By: Hupurest
She should stay home and do more cooking like Babe Winkelmans wife did, and let her husband have some peace and quiet.
Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6384653
11/28/18 07:17 PM
11/28/18 07:17 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Have a little down time so I thought I'd fill you guys in on our little adventure. First of all I've realized I shouldn't have present around 40 traps. I still have 15 or so that are under 5-6 foot snow drifts, and there's no recovering them at this point. That being said Matt and I are having a ball and giving those critters everything we have. We pretty much have all of the line set out now that we are able to access. I've got about 8 locations that we just can't even get in the fields due to snow drifts, and we have rain coming soon. Maybe it'll knock some of it down for us. One good thing about snow is we've been able to set right on top of the coyotes, and there seems to be plenty. We will be dropping in cat sets in a couple days as our season opens the 1st. Until then it's sit back and let them work.

Here's a shot of Matt on the first day snow drifts or not he's a happy camper.
[Linked Image]

Here is the man out getting a set in to catch us a dog. He looks pretty lonesome out there with all that white stuff.
[Linked Image]

This is what happens when you let an Indiana guy at the wheel for a while. Just kidding in his defense I told him to follow my old tracks. That was before the storm, and neither of us were paying much attention. We had snow up to the door, and that's a hill we're going down. I was standing and walking on the drift. That's the only time we've been stuck, but I had to call in a favor. We dug the tires out enough to get pulled out backwards, but never touched the ground. I'd say it's at least 6 feet at the lowest point about where I am.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6384660
11/28/18 07:21 PM
11/28/18 07:21 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Anyways enough snow right? We've dug out twice, and pulled out once over the last couple days. The good news is I let a couple farms go on fox last year, and boy did they fill up. I know it's hard to see but you're looking at multiple sets of tracks on snow drifts at least 10 sets or so.

[Linked Image]

Here's a couple of what our sets are turning into. It's down right work, but I'm loving it. Hopefully the coyotes don't mind the small bombs that have went off all over the place.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6384665
11/28/18 07:25 PM
11/28/18 07:25 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
We aren't breaking records but we're on location and the animals are starting to show up. We've got most of them on fresh tracks following the snow so we might have to wait for them to come back through. We did set some areas blind on location which we hope start to connect.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6386575
11/30/18 06:23 PM
11/30/18 06:23 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
We've continued to battle the elements, and had a couple good days. Unfortunately just as the snow drifts were beginning to melt down it has now just began to down pour. We're expecting an inch or more tonight, and then continued rain changing to snow for the next three days. Highs following the rain will be 27 starting Sunday. Will sure find out just how well we have our sets freeze proofed. With the snow melting and the extra rain I'm not sure much is going to save us we might have a long day of remakes coming Sunday. Even our waxed dirt will likely be completely under water in some places by Sunday morning. It isn't going to freeze tonight so we'll be checking for mud covered dogs in the morning. On a good note cat season opens on the 1st and nothing makes us happier than chasing bobcats. Anyways here's a few shots of us out and about.

Matt caught the pair on the first fox of the year for our vacation line. She came back the next night.
[Linked Image]

We were beginning to wonder if we were just fox trappers. I had this guy on camera along with a number of coyotes, but he showed up first. We had a coyote move through that night luckily he didn't want the fox. Little warmer by afternoon here he was a mess.
[Linked Image]

With the warm weather came the bandits and grinners. Stopped to snap a quick one of Matt with one of his coons.
[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6386577
11/30/18 06:26 PM
11/30/18 06:26 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
It's really too bad coons aren't worth much the muddy prints bouncing all over the snow drifts are amazing right now with the warm up. We could easily blind set them or snare about as many as we'd like to handle in a day.

[Linked Image]

Finally we aren't fox trappers anymore.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6386615
11/30/18 06:59 PM
11/30/18 06:59 PM
Indiana Linton-Greene County
Matt(rat killer) Offline
trapper
Matt(rat killer)  Offline
trapper

Indiana Linton-Greene County
It’s been a adventure this year no doubt...

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6386644
11/30/18 07:33 PM
11/30/18 07:33 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
Nice.

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6386979
12/01/18 01:47 AM
12/01/18 01:47 AM
Livingston, Texas
S
Sheepdog1 Offline
trapper
Sheepdog1  Offline
trapper
S

Livingston, Texas
thanks for posting the pics and telling about your catches. Keep on hammering them but finish up your education.

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6387076
12/01/18 08:13 AM
12/01/18 08:13 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Good job wade!
I snuck out and got a few sets in, picked up a lone coyote and a possum.
It started raining late yesterday afternoon and has not stopped for last 14 hours. Supposed to keep raining today then change over to all snow tonight and through Monday. Not as much snow here but north central part of state could see 15" and with wind that will be serious.
Stay after them wade!
Jim
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bridger 1.75 and dirthole set with Carmen's bushwacker bait and dobbins Backbreaker lure

Last edited by jabNE; 12/01/18 08:15 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6387201
12/01/18 11:27 AM
12/01/18 11:27 AM
KY
ksp107 Offline
trapper
ksp107  Offline
trapper

KY
Really love following this thread!!!!!! I'm standing in line waiting in the wings if Matt decides he can't make it one year!!!!!! LOL!!

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6388898
12/03/18 08:13 AM
12/03/18 08:13 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Wade these are some very tough conditions! We had two inches of rain then nonstop snow and wind all weekend.
Every creek is flooded, the fields are a sloppy mess, have to walk every inch of our line.
Noah and I managed another coyote and a pair of muddy DP coon, plus possums.
Good luck everyone and stay safe.
Will be repacking a lot of traps this week after I get the mudballs chipped out of the ground first.
Jim
Coyote in #2 Montana round jaw, dirthole with hiawatha valley.
[Linked Image]

Coon in DP with homemade bait
[Linked Image]

Another muddy coon in DP with homemade bait
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jabNE; 12/04/18 08:36 AM.

Re: Nebraska Line 2018 [Re: WadeRyan] #6389474
12/03/18 10:28 PM
12/03/18 10:28 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Jim I hear you I like a challenge but this weather has been really giving it to us. I've dropped 12 pounds so far. I'm working overnight tonight, and we'll do it all over again in the morning. Probably be 36 or so hours of no sleep. Did take my last final today just before my night shift and for those worried about me finishing school I passed all courses for the semester above 94% so now I can go crazy trapping until January. That's a pretty big relief.

I haven't taken any pictures of the coons as we've went this week, but they have been out in full force. This is the first time I can honestly say I've seen coon drown/succumb to water on supposed to be dryland sets overnight. We have a 24 hour check here, and even then we are finding them done by the time we arrive and some have even been hit by birds of prey. Today was the first day we were able to get back around with the truck which was a nice change. Don't realize how much you miss that heater until you're riding around on those UTV's with snow slapping you in the face. It doesn't appear we will get above freezing the remainder of the time Matt is here which is also a relief. No freeze thaw to fight.

This is one of the better maintained roads we have been on. Once we got the 2 inches of rain, and the drifts began to melt. Water appeared where water generally never is. Here's a melting snow pack which came over the road, and this was happening almost everywhere. All the creeks are at their peak or over the top.
[Linked Image]

We've been getting a little snow off and on most of the time since the big one. The good news is we are setting right on top of cat tracks. The bad news is we don't have any control whether they will return while we are out. We have four checks left. Most of my typical cat locations are looking promising for sign, and even after Matt leaves I'll probably continue on with the cats. These make us happy.
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread