No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lets talk bear baits [Re: Hutchy] #6390902
12/05/18 03:34 PM
12/05/18 03:34 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Looking like I started too late. I will start in august next year.

I will also go for one in the spring. Question, what do people find they are more into in the spring. Sweet stuff,...grease, meat..?

Re: Lets talk bear baits [Re: Hutchy] #6390905
12/05/18 03:47 PM
12/05/18 03:47 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
We can’t spring bait. I do see most bears here in the bush in clear cuts most often in the spring eating the early spring geeens of many varieties. They hit these and rotten stumps for bugs, and skunk cabbage until the berries start coming in.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Lets talk bear baits [Re: Hutchy] #6390915
12/05/18 04:01 PM
12/05/18 04:01 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Hutchy
Looking like I started too late. I will start in august next year.

I will also go for one in the spring. Question, what do people find they are more into in the spring. Sweet stuff,...grease, meat..?

Granola and trail mix work great in the spring. Grains also, such as corn and oats sweetened with molasses. You can definitely over-sugar the bears in the spring. More natural type stuff is good in the spring where high-carb stuff is better in the fall.

Re: Lets talk bear baits [Re: Hutchy] #6390920
12/05/18 04:13 PM
12/05/18 04:13 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
I'm relegated to whole, unprocessed foods and no animal parts which boils down to unblanched/unsalted peanuts, apples, pumpkins, grain & oats. It's horrendous. The bears, that we are shooting mind you, are required to be organic smile
Back home - beaver carcass & anything sweet we could get our hands on would do the trick. Castor glands in the trees to get it started. Sounds like you got your answer above though. Good luck!

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: Lets talk bear baits [Re: Hutchy] #6390926
12/05/18 04:18 PM
12/05/18 04:18 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Cool. SOunds good. I often put a punch of super cheap dogfood in the mix, but ideally I would like to bait for free of next to it.

I know the popcorn trick is a good one. I can get popcorn for very cheap, beaver carcasses obviously, all the pastries, bread and fryer grease I could ever want. Thats about the extent of my options.

I will just give them a mixture and see what they prefer I guess. Pastries and popcorn for bulk.

I recall hearing about someone who fills a 45 gallon drum with expired supermarket meat, puts the lid on for it for a month, then takes it out on a trailer, and takes the bung out as he drives to the bait site. .

A long distance call if there ever was one. Maybe Ill try that with a couple five gallon pails

Re: Lets talk bear baits [Re: Hutchy] #6390945
12/05/18 04:55 PM
12/05/18 04:55 PM
Saskatchewan, Canada
S
Sask hunter Offline
trapper
Sask hunter  Offline
trapper
S

Saskatchewan, Canada
Bread/pastries grease beaver carcasses and oats. Works good all spring. Soon as the ice comes off catch about 20-30 beavers and you’ll be good for a couple baits all spring

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread