No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Finster] #6392387
12/07/18 08:03 AM
12/07/18 08:03 AM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
I too am like BucksNBears, I can take a small buck many times over every year. I don't wish to go out once or twice and fill my buck tag and my season is over, it is literally that easy. If I want meat (which I always do) I fill
3-5 doe tags between my son and I. For bucks I will never fill my tag with a 1 1/2 year old again in my lifetime, I prefer he grows and get no thrill from it. If someone else wants to shoot every 1 1/2 year old I pass then go for it.
I had a 160" buck I was after last year, the last day of muzzle I passed on 2 140"ers waiting for him, I didn't fill my buck tag last year. My sons buddy got him in archery at 182" this year. There are roughly 30 B&C Ohio bucks taken a year and he got one of them at
age 22, buck of a lifetime and much bigger high than a 6 point basket.Guys that don't like a trophy hunter could care less about the guys that don't like scrub buck hunters, two way street.

Last edited by bass10; 12/07/18 08:05 AM.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Finster] #6392392
12/07/18 08:08 AM
12/07/18 08:08 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
The most P&Y I ever seen killed by ONE man that only hunts ONE state is a guy here in London Ky . Won't give his name . He has 34 P&Y with 4 of the top ten bow kills here in Ky . HE HUNTS ONLY KY. He is 64 years young. 3 years ago Cabelas tried to buy his collection but wanted to pay 60% cash and 40 % merchandise. He told me he would be long dead before he could spend the cabelas bucks !!
At one time you could kill you could kill 2 bucks with a bow. Now its one regardless of size or method.

Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: bass10] #6392395
12/07/18 08:16 AM
12/07/18 08:16 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by bass10
I too am like BucksNBears, I can take a small buck many times over every year. I don't wish to go out once or twice and fill my buck tag and my season is over, it is literally that easy. If I want meat (which I always do) I fill
3-5 doe tags between my son and I. For bucks I will never fill my tag with a 1 1/2 year old again in my lifetime, I prefer he grows and get no thrill from it. If someone else wants to shoot every 1 1/2 year old I pass then go for it.
I had a 160" buck I was after last year, the last day of muzzle I passed on 2 140"ers waiting for him, I didn't fill my buck tag last year. My sons buddy got him in archery at 182" this year. There are roughly 30 B&C Ohio bucks taken a year and he got one of them at
age 22, buck of a lifetime and much bigger high than a 6 point basket.Guys that don't like a trophy hunter could care less about the guys that don't like scrub buck hunters, two way street.

Don't think anyone of the meat hunters said they didn't like trophy hunters. THEY DON"T LIKE being told they can't shoot the smaller bucks. If they are happy and pay the same as you do for their tags they want the option of killing and go to the house. Some people may have ailments that won't allow them to sit in a tree for 15, 20 ,30 days a year waiting to "see" a trophy deer. Some people take for granted their health and or physical condition. My dad has arthritis and is 80 years old . A "TROPHY" hunt to him is sitting in a blind beside his barn and killing the "basket " rack 6 point that he has watched all summer.

More to it sometimes than what you or anyone "WANTS" !!!!!

Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: snowy] #6392433
12/07/18 09:13 AM
12/07/18 09:13 AM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Originally Posted by snowy
jbyrd63 >>>> Ya, exactly LOL. It sounded pretty interest so I thought I would ask a few questions on all his success but NO go. LOL And being a trophy hunter only, he has to have a lot of P&Y and B&C head gear.

I'll just let you fellas stew on it smile
Don't lose any sleep over it though wink

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: bucksnbears] #6392439
12/07/18 09:24 AM
12/07/18 09:24 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Originally Posted by snowy
jbyrd63 >>>> Ya, exactly LOL. It sounded pretty interest so I thought I would ask a few questions on all his success but NO go. LOL And being a trophy hunter only, he has to have a lot of P&Y and B&C head gear.

I'll just let you fellas stew on it smile
Don't lose any sleep over it though wink

I'm not calling you a liar. I would like to see pictures of the trophy wall though. I would find it awesome.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: TurkeyTime] #6392458
12/07/18 10:03 AM
12/07/18 10:03 AM
SW MISSOURI
R
Rockfarmer Offline
trapper
Rockfarmer  Offline
trapper
R

SW MISSOURI
Thanks Turkey Time. I lived and hunted in Northwest Missouri for over 30 years. It really dropped the deer numbers up there. Used to be Ray, Clinton, Chariton, Calloway, Carroll counties were full of deer. Not to mention all the northern tier counties. And there were plenty of big bucks for the guys who wanted to hunt them. Now the numbers are way down. And I think its hilarious they also want to blame it on SALT / MINERAL BLOCKS! I mean really? The big ones get big because they are smart. Let natural selection do its work.

www.nationwidecartparts.com
3rd Infantry Division
1st Infantry Division
U.S. ARMY
Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: TurkeyTime] #6392464
12/07/18 10:09 AM
12/07/18 10:09 AM
SW MISSOURI
R
Rockfarmer Offline
trapper
Rockfarmer  Offline
trapper
R

SW MISSOURI
Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
Well now that it is about antler point restriction in general....... I only go after big bucks but I could care less what someone else wants to/does shoot. I teach and when we talk in class I tell the kids that anything is a trophy and it doesn't even matter if you even see a deer. I absolutely hate hearing kids/people say: It was only a small 8. All I saw was small bucks. I only got a doe. etc. I was not alive but there was a time around here when my grandparents were amazed to see a deer track. How about: I saw a cool skunk. A squirrel almost touched me. I got my first deer. I saw a buck chasing a doe. etc.

I agree with you 100% on the outdoor experiences - not just shooting a deer. And I have done the same with my kids and others kids - Archery or Rifle - any deer you get is a trophy - be proud.

www.nationwidecartparts.com
3rd Infantry Division
1st Infantry Division
U.S. ARMY
Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Finster] #6392583
12/07/18 01:07 PM
12/07/18 01:07 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
As far as PA goes, sometimes I wonder if we have less of an effect on the deer population than we like to think. Few years ago, some regs, lot less deer. What changes? IDK, maybe more does having twins and triplets, more food, natural cycles and so on. Butchers says a ton of small deer this year, which just means a lot of deer overall, just like if you're getting a lot of medium and kit beaver, you have lots of beaver there. Things run in cycles in the natural world and sometimes I wonder if we know all the reasons why.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: TurkeyTime] #6392600
12/07/18 01:49 PM
12/07/18 01:49 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
Well now that it is about antler point restriction in general....... I only go after big bucks but I could care less what someone else wants to/does shoot. I teach and when we talk in class I tell the kids that anything is a trophy and it doesn't even matter if you even see a deer. I absolutely hate hearing kids/people say: It was only a small 8. All I saw was small bucks. I only got a doe. etc. I was not alive but there was a time around here when my grandparents were amazed to see a deer track. How about: I saw a cool skunk. A squirrel almost touched me. I got my first deer. I saw a buck chasing a doe. etc.

Agree 100%, my son in law wants to get into hunting more. So since my son and I are fanatics I am welcoming him. The first thing I tell him or anybody is "you have to absolutely love
being in the woods and outdoors"! If its boring or not much fun then I say find another hobbie. I can sit outside hours on end because theres no place I'd rather be. When its zero out I have
to go to the woods on occasion just to get my fix. Shooting animals and catching them are a bonus.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Finster] #6392618
12/07/18 02:15 PM
12/07/18 02:15 PM
watertown wisconsin
C
coon69 Offline
trapper
coon69  Offline
trapper
C

watertown wisconsin
wish we had it here....our deer get 1-1/2 yrs old and dead. to many hunters ....wish we had 4pts to a side restrictions.. I might be able to see some monsters in 5 yrs. evey one shoots everything here .....want a doe . pick one up on the road here ....there everywhere dead here .... we have so many rules on fishing ...who needs a 50 musky or a 30 in walleye ...lets make every thing trophy .....

Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Finster] #6392628
12/07/18 02:47 PM
12/07/18 02:47 PM
Southern WV
A
Anglinscreek Offline
trapper
Anglinscreek  Offline
trapper
A

Southern WV
Gary Alt put the Apr in place because Pennsylvania had the highest deer hunting pressure in America and it was a way for.more bucks to survive past 1.5. Not being able to count antler points while the deer is bounding away is one of the ways an Apr works.

Sorry, if you want to kill any antlered buck you see in the woods, its just not the best.management practice. Imagine harvesting bobcat kittens because all Bobcats are trophies. While they are, the sporting thing to do is let the small ones go.

And its hilarious how someone equates deer hunting regulations with liberal vs conservative political ideologies.

Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Finster] #6392657
12/07/18 03:49 PM
12/07/18 03:49 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Worst thing that ever happened here Anglinscreek. Your hoping for something that will drop your harvest rate and hunters rate big-time.

All you'll have is 21/2 year old deer getting shot, and no more of them than before. Our camp went from shooting a dozen deer a year to a 3 deer average. All those the last ten years have been basket rack 21/2 y.o. When we were shooting a dozen a year, guess what? There was always 3-4 at least, basket rack deer. The biggest 5 racks ever shot at our camp were shot before A.R. went into place, including mine.

All we got from that is less hunters shooting bucks and more posted ground...PERIOD.

Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: wetdog] #6392660
12/07/18 03:59 PM
12/07/18 03:59 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by wetdog
All you meat hunters think on this.
A 11/2 year old yields about 45 pounds of meat
A 41/2 year old yields about 100 pounds of meat
No w for the love of God tell me you don't see why they should be shot for meat at such a tender age.
It would only take 2 years to turn this state around
To many think, if I don't shot it the next guy will
Besides, doe taste much much better at this time of year.
The buck are worn out from the breed, no fat, and smelly
This is a subject that I will never back away from
I have changed a lot of minds in the last 30 years or so.

How many 41/2 yo bucks have you shot the last 10 years, on your lightly pressured private ground? I'll guess it's closer 0 than 5.

Now, think how many a guy who hunts pressured ground has shot.

Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Anglinscreek] #6392677
12/07/18 04:32 PM
12/07/18 04:32 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Originally Posted by Anglinscreek
Gary Alt put the Apr in place because Pennsylvania had the highest deer hunting pressure in America and it was a way for.more bucks to survive past 1.5. Not being able to count antler points while the deer is bounding away is one of the ways an Apr works.

Sorry, if you want to kill any antlered buck you see in the woods, its just not the best.management practice. Imagine harvesting bobcat kittens because all Bobcats are trophies. While they are, the sporting thing to do is let the small ones go.

And its hilarious how someone equates deer hunting regulations with liberal vs conservative political ideologies.
That's hilarious?Almost as bad as somebody comparing harvesting bobcat kittens to shooting antlered adult deer for management purposes.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Anglinscreek] #6392696
12/07/18 05:13 PM
12/07/18 05:13 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by Anglinscreek

You are wrong on this one . Ok you are setting in the stand a doe and 2 yearlings come thru . Give you one guess which one to shoot if you want to HURT your deer herd. The doe!!! She already knows how to raise her young and not let them be killed by predators. The young ones may survive with out MOMMA but odds go down quiet a bit. So shoot momma and good chance the coyotes / BIG bobcats will get at least one of the youngsters ....
So if you shoot bobcat kittens you won't hurt the population the next year except by one.......

Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Finster] #6392697
12/07/18 05:18 PM
12/07/18 05:18 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
What some of you guys a failing to see about this subject is little Johnny kills a 6 pt . He is done. Joe Blow gets a spike he is done.If Sammy Snotnose has tagged out on a 4 pt he is done home watching football They are not sitting out there to kill the 5 year old 140 in ten. More hunters in the woods longer =more mature deer killed. Thus you are seeing less mature deer. Yes you have to have seed to grow but if you only have so many deer to shoot but more people soon all the bucks that meet the restrictions are gone. Think on that logic for awhile..................

Last edited by jbyrd63; 12/07/18 05:22 PM.
Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Finster] #6392718
12/07/18 06:06 PM
12/07/18 06:06 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
discuss or cuss all you want we had AR restrictions for years did it matter not as much as the mild winters did now one tag of the combo license is 4 point or better on 1 side we also have the Gov. helping out type in usda deer sharpshooters your state has them too

olden tyred
Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Finster] #6392724
12/07/18 06:16 PM
12/07/18 06:16 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
When Alt was given the task of reducing deer numbers in the state, it was mainlyy because the PGC was under tremendous pressure from the timber industry and (less so) from farming interests in the state. At one of the first public meetings held around the state to present the herd reduction plans to hunters, he asked the attendees, How many of you would like to see antler resistrctions put in place for PA hunters?, most of the croud applauded.
He next said that those who hoped for ARs would be disappointed because his sole assignment was to reduce deer numbers state wide, and the killing of bucks had no role in controling deer numbers to the degree needed.

The game commision, upon seeing the opposition to the great increase in the antlerless harvest, saw ARs as a tool for gaining support from hunting groups around the state.

ARs have lead to a great increase in the number of posted properties and lands that used to be open for everyone is now leased by groups who try to copy the management plans they fill their heads with by watching the trophy-above-all-else hunting shows.

Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Finster] #6392734
12/07/18 06:37 PM
12/07/18 06:37 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
5 to a side statewide is whats needed.

Re: PA, Antler restrictions [Re: Finster] #6392745
12/07/18 06:52 PM
12/07/18 06:52 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
1.5 to 2.5 year old bucks are dumb, they run around everywhere at all hours of the day looking for does,public land,private land,dusk,dark,noon it does not matter to a forky looking for a doe. The 3.5+ year old bucks are no longer stupid, they generally hide out on private land and if they venture off it is typically after dark. Antler restrictions force public land hunters to pass young deer so they can grow bigger and wiser and hole up on private land and leases. Antler restrictions sacrifice the enjoyment of the public land hunter killing a deer so that private owners can shoot bigger ones. Selfish.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread