Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
cage trapping questions #6393283
12/08/18 01:08 PM
12/08/18 01:08 PM
Mid Atlantic USA
S
Schrecken13 Offline OP
trapper
Schrecken13  Offline OP
trapper
S

Mid Atlantic USA
I have been cage trapping for the last couple of years on my 3 acre wooded property (which is bordered by more woods and farms) targeting raccoon and fox. Last year I didn't catch any foxes (though there are at least a few that show up on my game cameras so I know they are there) but I caught 6 or 7 raccoons, even though I started late in the season. This year, however, things are different. I've been setting up since the start of the season (fox and coon start at the same time here) and all I've caught are opossums and a couple non-target critters.
I know there are at least three raccoons running around in the woods but my trap remains empty (I only have one cage trap large enough to catch coon) now that I've caught most all of the opossums in the area.
I am using the same baits I used last year (when I had great success) like various food scraps, including fish skins, chicken skins, tuna can juice and other smelly stuff. I also add Kishel's Coon Cream for good measure. I have the 2nd largest Havahart model which is 12"H X 10"W X 38" long with a double door (though I only set it with one door open).
I've seen a coon wandering around (on my camera) the trap but always when something else was already caught in it and once when some vultures had overturned and sprung it (I have since staked the trap down to prevent turn-overs). I don't know if any coons have by-passed the open trap as my camera had a malfunction recently and I've not been able to get any pics off of it.
Any ideas on what I might be able to do to actually catch some of these coons? I've been considering DP coon traps to increase my odds.

Also, what's the deal with cage trapping red fox? I am thinking my trap is simply too small and the fox won't enter it because of that. I am very leery of using foot holds because of proximity issues on one side of the property and presence of non-target animals. I even tried a K-9 bait last year (+ raw meat of various types) and still no success. There is one size up in cage traps that I've seen that is 15"X 15" X 48" or there abouts. I don't want to spend the $$$ on it if it won't work with foxes. Any ideas on catching fox?

Last edited by Schrecken13; 12/08/18 01:10 PM.
Re: cage trapping questions [Re: Schrecken13] #6393305
12/08/18 01:41 PM
12/08/18 01:41 PM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
Check your PM box.