No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Southeast New Mexico Trip #6389744
12/04/18 10:24 AM
12/04/18 10:24 AM
Central Texas
C
Centex Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Centex Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
C

Central Texas
I’m planning my first out-of-state trapping trip in January alone to Southeastern New Mexico. No specific area yet. Doing research now. Any tips on New Mexico trapping would be appreciated.

I’d like to trap, skin and sell my furs locally if possible. I don’t have any fur processing stuff. I trap my own ranch for control work and I’m just getting into fur trapping. I have never put up and sold a pelt. I have few bobcats I skinned and put in the freezer so far this fall. I hope to find someone here in Central Texas to help me put up these and other pelts for sale this coming spring.

Any tips and hints on this would be great.

My plan is to skin each animal and put it in a ziplock in a cooler with ice. Then sell it as-is asap locally. Is there a fur buyer in southeast New Mexico I could do this with? I’m hoping this will be a fun and relaxing way to spend a week camping, trapping and hunting. If I can pay for some gas along the way... all the better.

I read I need to tag bobcats. I’m not sure how all that works. I read I have to take them somewhere to get tagged. I’ll be somewhere near Carlsbad, NM. What would be closest. I’m not set on a location yet. And it just me. I can go anywhere.

I have three dozen footholds (2 doz. MB 650s OL offset and 1 doz. K9 Extremes offset) So, it is not like I’ll be long lining. I plan to trap but also predator call.

My plan is to camp and use my truck for transportation. I’m hoping to camp and trap BLM land other public lands. I’ll be trapping as far away from people as possible. Is there paperwork I need to get to do this, or does my license cover it?

I’m going to get a hunting license, trapping license and mountain lion tag (just in case). I also ordered trap tags. We don’t need them here in Texas on private land. I know not to use animal parts as attractants, etc. I have read the trapping rules and they seem ok. I just don’t want to do anything stupid or illegal that I missed. Plus, anything that save me some time would be great. I want to get away and find some solitude. I want to spend as little time in town as possible.

My gear list so far.

Truck with two full spares.
Gas Cans
Small air compressor
Tire plug kit

Tent, Tarp and Camping gear
Coolers, water, food, etc.

Trapping gear, traps, stakes, anchors, cable etc.
Bait, lure etc. and .22 rifle

Predator calling stuff and .223 rifle

Is there anything that you have learned that is important for this type of trapping trip? Any special gear, tips and tricks?

Thanks!

Bridges Predator Control
Serving Central Texas
Re: Southeast New Mexico Trip [Re: Centex Trapper] #6389754
12/04/18 10:33 AM
12/04/18 10:33 AM
NE
M
Marty B Offline
"arbitrary noob"
Marty B  Offline
"arbitrary noob"
M

NE
Petska Fur & Antler buys in Northern NM, and north West TX, but we don't get close enough to s.e. NM to be practical for your adventures.

Call the Game+Fish they will have info on any buyers in that area.

If there is a buyer down there he/she should be able to tag your cats for you.

Take pics and come back and share them.

Re: Southeast New Mexico Trip [Re: Centex Trapper] #6389762
12/04/18 10:41 AM
12/04/18 10:41 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
You're habitat management & habitat access and management tags give you permission to hunt, trap or fish BLM NF or other public lands. Also go with the fishing upgrade in case you decide to fish in that area.

Remember you can't trap lions except on state trust lands or private lands with written permission and you need to pass a free mandatory lion identification course on the department's website. Very easy to do.

The only bobcat tags you need is the CITES tags which you get either at a game and fish office or a fur buyer before end of season or before you either sell trade or transport out of state. Office locations can be found at
http://wildlife.state.nm.us

Not sure of fur buyers in that area.

Wish I was closer.

Do you have tire chains?

Good luck have fun and be safe

Last edited by adam m; 12/04/18 10:45 AM. Reason: Added text
Re: Southeast New Mexico Trip [Re: adam m] #6390022
12/04/18 04:22 PM
12/04/18 04:22 PM
Central Texas
C
trapper
trapper
C

Central Texas
Thanks for the info so far. I have a 4X4 truck, and I’ll make sure to pack my chains along too.

So I can hunt lions, but not trap them with a lion tag. Seems strange, but oh well. That is the sort of thing I need to know. Thanks!

Keep em coming.

Bridges Predator Control
Serving Central Texas
Re: Southeast New Mexico Trip [Re: Centex Trapper] #6390076
12/04/18 05:29 PM
12/04/18 05:29 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
You're welcome. More than likely you won't need the chains but with our states weather it's better to be safe than sorry.

You can trap lions but only on state trust lands or private lands. Looks like there's plenty of state trust lands around Carlsbad. You need both the lion tag and furbearer tag to trap them. Yeah it's strange but we get to trap them.

Last edited by adam m; 12/04/18 05:30 PM. Reason: Added text
Re: Southeast New Mexico Trip [Re: Centex Trapper] #6393627
12/08/18 11:15 PM
12/08/18 11:15 PM
Central Texas
C
trapper
trapper
C

Central Texas
Thanks for the lion info. I’m excited! I’d be super excited if I happened to trap a lion.

Bridges Predator Control
Serving Central Texas
Re: Southeast New Mexico Trip [Re: Centex Trapper] #6393647
12/08/18 11:51 PM
12/08/18 11:51 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
You're welcome. I bet you are. I hope you do fill both lion tags. Good luck have fun and be safe

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread