No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Fisher v Deep snow Experts #6394027
12/09/18 02:14 PM
12/09/18 02:14 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline OP
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline OP
trapper
E

Just thinking about juvenile survival. My area of northern Maine had about 40" of snow in November. This morning the temperature was below 0 F. The early November juveniles had little to no fat. by the middle of the month they did have a little fat. The two adults I killed did have fat neck to tail. So my question what percentage of the juveniles will not make it through the winter? What about marten?

Last edited by ebsurveyor; 12/09/18 02:18 PM.
Re: Fisher v Deep snow Experts [Re: ebsurveyor] #6394038
12/09/18 02:31 PM
12/09/18 02:31 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
I have no experience with fisher but on marten .....the conditions you describe would be nothing. With 40 " of snow, most of them will tunnel underneath where it is a bit warmer and let the voles come to them rather than expending energy hunting on the surface. Our marten usually hunt on top until it gets -25 or colder.

As far as no fat is concerned,....marten will metabolize all their body fat in 24 hours in a stressful situation. So, while it would be better to see some fat on the critter, it is pretty normal to NOT see it. What about internal fat ? Have you opened one up?? Oftentimes, marten that show little to no external fat will have a lot of fat on the omentum layer ( lacy fat ) all over the inside of the cavity. Nevertheless,that too can be metabolized in short order if they are not getting enough to eat or are stressed by other factors

Mean As Nails
Re: Fisher v Deep snow Experts [Re: white17] #6394047
12/09/18 02:49 PM
12/09/18 02:49 PM
E
ebsurveyor Offline OP
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline OP
trapper
E

Originally Posted by white17
I have no experience with fisher but on marten .....the conditions you describe would be nothing. With 40 " of snow, most of them will tunnel underneath where it is a bit warmer and let the voles come to them rather than expending energy hunting on the surface. Our marten usually hunt on top until it gets -25 or colder.

As far as no fat is concerned,....marten will metabolize all their body fat in 24 hours in a stressful situation. So, while it would be better to see some fat on the critter, it is pretty normal to NOT see it. What about internal fat ? Have you opened one up?? Oftentimes, marten that show little to no external fat will have a lot of fat on the omentum layer ( lacy fat ) all over the inside of the cavity. Nevertheless,that too can be metabolized in short order if they are not getting enough to eat or are stressed by other factors

Thanks for the info.

Re: Fisher v Deep snow Experts [Re: ebsurveyor] #6394048
12/09/18 02:53 PM
12/09/18 02:53 PM
Port Jervis, NY
B
beachcomber13 Offline
trapper
beachcomber13  Offline
trapper
B

Port Jervis, NY
I believe its more the semi-hibernators that need the fat storage for surviving the winter. Fisher can hunt squirrels in the trees all winter long so don't really need reserves.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread