No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
First night trapping, first targetted double. #6397647
12/13/18 01:52 PM
12/13/18 01:52 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
KeithC  Offline OP
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Last night was my first night setting any traps this year. With fur prices in the toilet and most of what I typically catch not being worth the time to skin, it seemed pointless to do much trapping, even though I love doing it. A friend of mine teaches biology at a local college and when we were last at her house for supper, I met a friend of hers, who is also a biology professor, who is doing a study on the parasites in opossums. He previously did a similar study on bobcats. He was having a hard time getting many opossums for the study, so I volunteered to help.

So for the the first time ever, I find myself targeting opossums. I have an egg dump for eggs that don't hatch during incubation, that draws plenty of opossums, plus fox, coyotes, skunks and raccoons. Yesterday I set my 7 remaining box traps, because our farm cats eat the eggs too, just off of the trails leading to the dump. The dump was still covered with a few hundred, scattered quail eggs, that did not hatch in last weeks hatch, so I figured I might not catch much, even with the night time temperature finally staying above freezing. Today there were no remaining eggs on the pile. The first 4 traps, which were closest to the pile, were empty. The 5th trap had all the bait missing and the trap door was lowered to the latch, which usually results from a large raccoon holding the door open with it's back, eating and then backing out. The last two each held opossums.

[Linked Image]

If anyone else in Ohio is interested in donating opossums to the study, please pm me and I'll give you the contact information for the biologist.

Keith

Re: First night trapping, first targetted double. [Re: KeithC] #6400729
12/16/18 06:19 PM
12/16/18 06:19 PM
iowa
U
unclej Offline
trapper
unclej  Offline
trapper
U

iowa