Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
First time bait making attempt #6367807
11/07/18 08:56 PM
11/07/18 08:56 PM
Indiana
D
Donrob Offline OP
trapper
Donrob  Offline OP
trapper
D

Indiana
We raise some chickens here on the farm for meat. I had a few odds and ends that got a couple years old and my wife was throwing it away. I thought wait! I can use that. so I ground every thing up along with a couple of lovers and hearts. I ordered some dobins bait formula. My question is, what else should I add. Thinking this will be for coon, fox, coyote? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Donrob] #6367934
11/07/18 11:07 PM
11/07/18 11:07 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
I wouldn't add anything. It's made to do exactly what your doing. If it is going to be freezing you could add 1 pint of glycerine to gallon of bait.

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Donrob] #6368064
11/08/18 07:20 AM
11/08/18 07:20 AM
Indiana
D
Donrob Offline OP
trapper
Donrob  Offline OP
trapper
D

Indiana
Perfect. Thank you

Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Donrob] #6368776
11/08/18 09:20 PM
11/08/18 09:20 PM
Indiana
D
Donrob Offline OP
trapper
Donrob  Offline OP
trapper
D

Indiana
Got my dobins bait formula. I made two batches, one with the extra stuff and one with only the preservative. If the yotes act anything like my dog, I have a winner! We about had a battle as I was mixing it up!

Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Donrob] #6368801
11/08/18 09:37 PM
11/08/18 09:37 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
Make sure to keep the lids loose so the gasses can excape.

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Donrob] #6369809
11/09/18 09:43 PM
11/09/18 09:43 PM
Indiana
D
Donrob Offline OP
trapper
Donrob  Offline OP
trapper
D

Indiana
Roger that. Thx

Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Donrob] #6397261
12/13/18 02:26 AM
12/13/18 02:26 AM
Texas
T
tradtrapper Offline
trapper
tradtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Texas
Here's a little tid bit I've found making bait. Say you got 4 gal of said bait in a 5 gal bucket. Get you about a 2 foot section of flexible 1/4 inside diameter rubber hose. Next get a cleaned out bottle i.e. wine bottle but same size plastic works too. Drill a hole in your lid same size as the hose and insert it about 5 or so inches into the bucket without it contacting the bait. Then duct tape the bottle on outside of bucket and fill bottle half full of water then insert other hose end into the bottle. Completely submerge the end of the hose. Then seal around the hose going into bucket with hot glue. This way you can keep the lid tight on your bait and gases will go out into the water and the flies cant get to the bait. Maggots will destroy your bait!!! Have fun

Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Donrob] #6397300
12/13/18 06:57 AM
12/13/18 06:57 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
An aeration stone for fish tank does same thing and when the water spills in your bottle or evaporates out the flies get in.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: strike2x] #6397569
12/13/18 12:30 PM
12/13/18 12:30 PM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline
trapper
yukonal  Offline
trapper
Y

MN
Originally Posted by strike2x
An aeration stone for fish tank does same thing and when the water spills in your bottle or evaporates out the flies get in.

You run the hose thru a lid on the water bottle, too. No spilling, and no evaporating. No flies. This is still the best way I have found, so far.

And the added benefit is...after you fix the bait, you absolutely know when it is done gassing off. The bubbles will stop appearing in the water. Done. No guessing.

Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Donrob] #6398352
12/14/18 09:14 AM
12/14/18 09:14 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted by Donrob
Thinking this will be for coon, fox, coyote? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If this is what you really want, you need to test in stages with a cam(s) and build from there. You may already have all you need, no need to spend all types of money on things you're unsure of. You can get most of the same reactions from animals with 2 ingredients as you can with several. jmo

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Donrob] #6400335
12/16/18 11:23 AM
12/16/18 11:23 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Or you could release periodically and give the bait a stirring to get surface contact through out the bait. Making bait in cooler temps, no need to worry about flies, and you'll get a better result, depending on what odor you desire. Smell your top layer and then smell your bottom layer, much different. jmo

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Donrob] #6400432
12/16/18 01:08 PM
12/16/18 01:08 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
We have always made bait and lure indoors in a controlled environment. It doesn't smell very nice as one can imagine due to all the odor released from the venting buckets.

Flies can still be a problem indoors as they line up at the exterior door due to the odor seeping outdoors ever so slightly so every time you open to enter the facility in potential active fly conditions a couple get in. So you still have to be diligent with insect control. We always spray the bucket lid rims with a professional fly bait spray. Kills them in a few seconds of sponging the material.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have posted this photo before using tire valve stems to vent and protect our bait, base and aging lure containers. I use to damage hundreds of buckets by drilling holes in the lids to vent years ago. Never again. This method does a good job and keeps your lids in good shape.

We can stack 5 buckets high enabling us to inventory 150 plus active working containers without much space loss. You must keep your materials well labeled and dated to keep track of what you are doing and when it needs to be handled in processing like aging or stopping a specific material when matured to your standards.

Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Bob Jameson] #6402023
12/18/18 09:26 AM
12/18/18 09:26 AM
AR
T
TurkeyWrangler Offline
trapper
TurkeyWrangler  Offline
trapper
T

AR
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
We have always made bait and lure indoors in a controlled environment. It doesn't smell very nice as one can imagine due to all the odor released from the venting buckets.

Flies can still be a problem indoors as they line up at the exterior door due to the odor seeping outdoors ever so slightly so every time you open to enter the facility in potential active fly conditions a couple get in. So you still have to be diligent with insect control. We always spray the bucket lid rims with a professional fly bait spray. Kills them in a few seconds of sponging the material.

[Linked Image] b

[Linked Image]

I have posted this photo before using tire valve stems to vent and protect our bait, base and aging lure containers. I use to damage hundreds of buckets by drilling holes in the lids to vent years ago. Never again. This method does a good job and keeps your lids in good shape.

We can stack 5 buckets high enabling us to inventory 150 plus active working containers without much space loss. You must keep your materials well labeled and dated to keep track of what you are doing and when it needs to be handled in processing like aging or stopping a specific material when matured to your standards.

That reminded me of the Breaking Bad episode where a fly got in their lab.

Poor people have poor ways.
Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: strike2x] #6402576
12/18/18 10:08 PM
12/18/18 10:08 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by strike2x

here's my airstone epoxied in place...so I can stack buckets.

the lids are Gamma Lids that screw on and off for easy daily stirring access, and they work great around the farm too.

[Linked Image]

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: First time bait making attempt [Re: Donrob] #6402813
12/19/18 08:23 AM
12/19/18 08:23 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass

Originally Posted by Donrob
Got my dobins bait formula. I made two batches, one with the extra stuff and one with only the preservative. If the yotes act anything like my dog, I have a winner! We about had a battle as I was mixing it up!

If both have a preservative and this is for "now" as in using in these cold temps. The short time it's going to sit in a bucket/gallon jar, I wouldn't sweat any long term aging precautions. Could easily manually crack the lid, give a stir and move. JMO you will be fine with a rag or placing it in a bag for use this season. If that's your only batch, once your preservative kicks in and its done which by your post date should be soon, depending on volume and base material if it isn't already. Once that happens and the product is in use, you do not need that system unless you plan on a long term taint/ageing process. Good luck

Smile, you're an expert!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91