No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: PAlltheway] #6397958
12/13/18 08:43 PM
12/13/18 08:43 PM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline OP
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline OP
trapper

Lugnut, your camp is in a very special, quiet corner of the world. Member here PCR is up there too, I think. A real good place to live, or to retire when you can. Not too many other places I would want to be. Maybe Alaska. PA still has a high freedom index (guns, trapping, hunting, etc.), which is why I strongly support the PGC; that one agency is one of the very few left in the nation that will send a uniformed officer with a badge and gun to stand in front of a class of young students and, among other related things, explain how they have second amendment rights. Gotta hold on to PGC

[/quote]
I couldn't agree with you more about everything you've said.

PCR's place isn't very far from my camp and I do have plans to retire up there, or at least spend much more time up there in the next few years.

Yes, we can't let the state legislature continue to financially strangle the PGC and turn almost 1.5 million acres of SGL's into bike trails for spandex wearing yuppies![/quote]

Amen, Lugnut, well said. Exactly

Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: PAlltheway] #6398142
12/14/18 12:02 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Cool photos and story, I'm glad it worked out.

Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: PAlltheway] #6398143
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
Somebody ought to invent a device with some sharp cutting teeth on it that would make it easier to cut that tree down.

Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: CoonsBane] #6398533
12/14/18 12:38 PM
12/14/18 12:38 PM
PAlltheway Offline OP
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by CoonsBane
Somebody ought to invent a device with some sharp cutting teeth on it that would make it easier to cut that tree down.

Not too many beavers around here, though a pet beaver would be neat. "Sic that tree, Beav!"
I chose not to use a chainsaw for several reasons that seemed self evident, and the warden concurred. I can explain them, if anyone wants to know

Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: PAlltheway] #6398550
12/14/18 01:04 PM
12/14/18 01:04 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
had several cats do that over the years on drags or cable extensions. Had a buddy show me how he was going to handle one of these cat situations a few years back in Kansas.

I fell down laughing so hard. I got a couple of photos before it got interesting. He snared it with a pole all right then the tug of war began. That cat didn't want to come down. All of a sudden I see this stream of yellow come down all in my buddy's face and shoulders from this big cat.

Oh my gosh that was priceless, you just had to have been there to see it all unfold. LOL Needless to say his lunch tasted funny that day.

Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: PAlltheway] #6398571
12/14/18 01:38 PM
12/14/18 01:38 PM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
I agree about the chainsaw. I would have thought the Warden or you would have had a small hand saw. Would have kept the cat calmer than pounding on it with an axe. I keep a folding Gerber along with me. Comes in handy for cutting poles or guide sticks and whatnot.

Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: Bob Jameson] #6398579
12/14/18 01:46 PM
12/14/18 01:46 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
had several cats do that over the years on drags or cable extensions. Had a buddy show me how he was going to handle one of these cat situations a few years back in Kansas.

I fell down laughing so hard. I got a couple of photos before it got interesting. He snared it with a pole all right then the tug of war began. That cat didn't want to come down. All of a sudden I see this stream of yellow come down all in my buddy's face and shoulders from this big cat.

Oh my gosh that was priceless, you just had to have been there to see it all unfold. LOL Needless to say his lunch tasted funny that day.

Bob, I'll have to ask Mick about that! grin

Wish I was closer, I would have tackled that job just for fun! Three thingsm you have to. watch out for, teeth, claws, and pee! lol

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: CoonsBane] #6398596
12/14/18 02:09 PM
12/14/18 02:09 PM
PAlltheway Offline OP
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by CoonsBane
I agree about the chainsaw. I would have thought the Warden or you would have had a small hand saw. Would have kept the cat calmer than pounding on it with an axe. I keep a folding Gerber along with me. Comes in handy for cutting poles or guide sticks and whatnot.

We thought about that, too, believe me, and the axe gave us a lot of advantages for moving the cat, lopping branches where the chain got hung up, lifting and pulling things that a saw could not do. Just two guys with four hands, so we had to improvise and make choices with trade offs. One thing mentioned above is the animal going potty during this event. Let me tell you, it is stinky stuff and staying as far away from it as possible is a real pleasure. I have only previously encountered dry or mostly dry bobcat doody, but this was the real fresh stuff, and it stank horribly, and got everywhere, as well as the urine. So the axe was a good tool to have on hand for a bunch of things, and it did not seem to bother the cat much. I'd like to see how the next guy handles his cat up a tree. Surely there are different ways too skin that cat. For us, it all worked out right. The critter was uninjured and the humans maintained their dignity.

Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: PAlltheway] #6398687
12/14/18 04:09 PM
12/14/18 04:09 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
22 will get him outta that tree

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: PAlltheway] #6398698
12/14/18 04:20 PM
12/14/18 04:20 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
I knew that tree wasn't big enough to climb, but it was only half as big as I thought. Good job, with both the cat and the pictures. Like Lee said I wished I was closer, I might not have tackled it just for fun but I sure would have made a good spectator. The fire department might have a boom truck for getting kittens out of trees, need to check that out before this happens again.

Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: PAlltheway] #6399711
12/15/18 06:25 PM
12/15/18 06:25 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Is that scrubbrush what you call a tree in Gods country,lol.You could whack that down with a Sandvik.

Last edited by Boco; 12/15/18 06:26 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: PAlltheway] #6399731
12/15/18 06:56 PM
12/15/18 06:56 PM
East Pensyltucky
Beaglador Offline
trapper
Beaglador  Offline
trapper

East Pensyltucky
So did you remake the set?

Re: Real time help needed: Cat up a tree [Re: Beaglador] #6399886
12/15/18 09:35 PM
12/15/18 09:35 PM
PAlltheway Offline OP
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by Beaglador
So did you remake the set?

Heck yeah! Nothin in it yet since then, daggonit. That trap had been there about twelve hours when the cat hit it. That spot has produced coyotes and now one cat, so it should produce again. But come Monday I am moving to a new spot, and it is raining raining raining, so it is tough to imagine much happening until I come back in January.

Boco: "Is that scrubbrush what you call a tree in Gods country,lol.You could whack that down with a Sandvik." It is a tree nevertheless, and a tough one at that, a thorny honey locust. Only about five inches in diameter and twenty feet high, but tough as iron and no fun to handle. They grow to about twelve inches in diameter and make lifetime fence post material. Right up the hill from this spot we clearcut twelve acres eight years ago and the trees were 185 to 195 years old, most in the 48" to 56" diameter range. Oaks and poplars. Those definitely qualify as trees, and a bobcat up in one of those is just gonna have to stay there.

Ryan: "22 will get him outta that tree," is factually true, but because the bobcat season started today and not two days ago, getting him out of the tree with a .22 would have earned me some time away from hunting and trapping and a lighter wallet. I told the warden that had it been Friday, I would have just left it up there and gotten it at midnight. But two days up in that tree would have been too long. And not legal by any measure.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread