Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
One tough December in the books... #6405723
12/22/18 08:51 AM
12/22/18 08:51 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline OP
trapper
jabNE  Offline OP
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Wow that was just plain work! This has been one interesting December for our trapline for sure.
First weekend of December, 4" of rain over two days, then 5" of snow, then hard freeze the entire next week. Temps never got above freezing for the entire first week of the season.
Unfortunately, I had set out our entire line JUST TWO DAYS PRIOR to that drenching rain, snow, then hard freeze. Spent the rest of the next couple days with a hammer and small crowbar chipping traps back out of their beds and rebedding everything in fresh, dry stuff. Once I got things firing again, we had another week and a half of daytime temps in 40s and overnight lows in 20s, freeze-thaw, freeze-thaw, freeze-thaw, repeat...repeat...etc. etc.
Then this last week or so, it never got down to freezing and we had daytime temps pushing 50s. All of that rain and melted snow thawed out. Makes your boots grow in weight with every step. Had to be super carefully pulling off the road so as not to get stuck, too. Just sort of ease over and then crawl back out when you are finished. Hope someone can still get around you without hitting you when they come over the hill, too. The nice thing about mud, it literally stopped all of the idiots that like to drive fields and draws "hunting" as they call it. If you could hike in, you had the spots literally all by yourself. Now, mind you, I purposefully set at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile off the road and always over a hill or behind some cover. It's the only way around here to hide catches and avoid most problems from those around here that think the world is their playground and that any coyote standing in a field should be a dead coyote. ugh.
We lost one to some yahoos...the fresh set of truck tracks up the ditch and into the field toward our sets over the hill, the catch circle, the covered up snapped trap, pool of blood in catch circle, fresh muddy boot tracks bigger than mine. I'm no forensic scientist...but how much more obvious could they have made this? At least they didn't steal the trap, but hope they threw their backs out trying. Grrrr. We relayed the story to the landowner, and I noticed at next check there were fresh t-posts pounded in where they drove up into the field to stop that from happening again.
all traps were crossed staked with rebar (lot of weight to carry into locations, i.e. traps, rebar, hammer, bait, lure, jugs of dry bedding material), except we only single staked the coon DPs.
Anyway, we managed a nice haul of coyotes and coon this month, despite everything. Had to walk everything, which I like doing anyway. I have a garmin watch I use for marathon training, I averaged 24,505 steps daily this entire month. Five farms, 30-35 sets, park and walk. Awesome exercise program! Some mornings I had to run sets at 3:30AM to be back in time to get kids up for school and get myself to work. Some days we were able to run sets after work and school. Weekends always a treat to sleep in and check in daylight. I don't own an ATV or UTV. Trapping season only comes once a year and you just have to push through. I went through 40 gallons of dirt, peat moss, cover hulls, whatever else I could find. My boys are my partners.
We did toss two coyotes (not shown below) that were very mangy. Yuck factor high on both. Caught a ton of coon when it warmed up, we quit taking pics they were coming nice and steady every check. Can't beat Christmas coon!

Some pics of some of the haul...

muddy fencrow coyote
[Linked Image]

dirty Nebraska red in 1.75 bridger
[Linked Image]

mud ball coon in DP
[Linked Image]

snow coon in DP
[Linked Image]

setting a mowed hayfield and powerline right of way. using #2 montanas here. There is a post set in back ground just to left of that downed cedar. this field was the easiest walking we had out of all five farms.
[Linked Image]

coyote in the #2 montana
[Linked Image]

badger from that post set, also in #2 montana. Ground frozen hard and it is crazy how much dirt these things can pile up in just one night. I could barely chip it with my hammer, this thing piled up dirt knee high and dug a hole back under it.
[Linked Image]

coyote at pipe set, muddy bean field and #3 bridger. pipe is bamboo section, fireblackened in our fire pit this summer. (they were painted red)
[Linked Image]

snowy night coyote, Noah along that night. snow and wind were almost blinding and we got turned around trying to follow corn rows back out to the truck. can't see very far ahead in a flashlight in high wind snow storm.
[Linked Image]

another #3 bridger coyote. #3s have nice big target area but man to they bite hard. Liking #2 size traps more this year.
[Linked Image]

Here is a backfoot coon (nice coon too) in #3 bridger. I'm going back to #2s next year. Just too much trap for our critters here.
[Linked Image]

some more DP coon...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

another coyote and a coon almost as big. You cannot beat December coon here for quality. we call them Christmas coon. Deteriorate fast after the holidays, and not as nice in November, but December coon are top in my book here.
[Linked Image]

a frosty dog
[Linked Image]

Pipe set coon. pipe was section of bamboo decoration we were throwing out. I blacked them a little in the firepit this summer. This coon shined it right down to the original red paint.
[Linked Image]

and well, when you are pulling traps and literally have nothing off the first four farms pulled, you should hope for something off of the last farm, right?
here is my only catch in a mink box, last trap I pulled, last farm. a fat little "silver mink" (ha ha) in a #110. I was pretty fortunate not to catch very many of these all month, and didn't get a single skunk either. seemed fitting for me to get a grinner in last trap of the year.
[Linked Image]

later all!
Jim grin

Last edited by jabNE; 12/22/18 09:30 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6405740
12/22/18 09:22 AM
12/22/18 09:22 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
nice,and don't feel alone.

Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6405753
12/22/18 09:38 AM
12/22/18 09:38 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Great read and December! Congrats on the hardworked success!

Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6405755
12/22/18 09:39 AM
12/22/18 09:39 AM
N.C MO
TONY.F Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday TONY.F  Offline
trapper

N.C MO
sounds like missouris season wrapped up in a nut shell! Except mother nature is still putting it on us17 degrees rite now and high of 60 today then rain 4 out of 5 days

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6405791
12/22/18 09:58 AM
12/22/18 09:58 AM
ID
B
bob1454 Offline
trapper
bob1454  Offline
trapper
B

ID
Great read and pics Jim. Glad those Montana's are working for you.

SGT USMC 72-75
Member DAV,MTA,ITA,NRA
Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: bob1454] #6405818
12/22/18 10:33 AM
12/22/18 10:33 AM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
You just described PA just about every season for weather, at least the rain anyhow.....

Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6405827
12/22/18 10:40 AM
12/22/18 10:40 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline OP
trapper
jabNE  Offline OP
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Bob1454, they rock, and I'll be looking for more this year for sure. Really stout springs, size is just right, and they hold like a pit bull but with rounded teeth! grin
I did swap the stock pans out for the pit pans. Man, four coiled these are stout and fun to set while holding a flashlight in your teeth and gloves on!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jabNE; 12/22/18 12:53 PM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6407575
12/24/18 09:56 AM
12/24/18 09:56 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline OP
trapper
jabNE  Offline OP
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Merry Christmas t-man community.
Jim

Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6407587
12/24/18 10:09 AM
12/24/18 10:09 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
same to you and you're family.

Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6407603
12/24/18 10:38 AM
12/24/18 10:38 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Jim Merry Christmas to you and family
Good read and pictures thanks

Kenneth schoening
Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6408868
12/25/18 10:03 PM
12/25/18 10:03 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Won't stop raining here. Pure mud !

Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6408930
12/25/18 11:23 PM
12/25/18 11:23 PM
KY
ksp107 Offline
trapper
ksp107  Offline
trapper

KY
Yep, same here pretty much! Ice storm, cold, then warm up, then freeze, rain, more rain, then more rain.... Cant seem to go more than a few days without being dumped on. Have thunderstorms coming on Thursday with 60 degree temps... Good thing I have a bunch of dry dirt and peat! I should have taken my mower out today and cut up some dry grass to make a bunch of Zaggers pipe sets, may be the only thing to keep working.

Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6409032
12/26/18 07:02 AM
12/26/18 07:02 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by jabNE
Bob1454, they rock, and I'll be looking for more this year for sure. Really stout springs, size is just right, and they hold like a pit bull but with rounded teeth! grin
I did swap the stock pans out for the pit pans. Man, four coiled these are stout and fun to set while holding a flashlight in your teeth and gloves on!
[Linked Image]

I just got the Predator Pro's in the mail on the 24th, and I am liking how they look right now. They are the exact size of the MB550 which I really enjoy for bedding. I'm with you Jim I tried various #3's and they were just too much for what Nebraska has to offer. The #2 is just a better fit for our predators with how many incidental coons we have. Might not be worth $20 on the carcass anymore, but they still pay the gas. Sure was a rough December for sure, but you can only do what you can do. Great pics.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: One tough December in the books... [Re: jabNE] #6409147
12/26/18 10:26 AM
12/26/18 10:26 AM
Alberta
H
H380 Offline
trapper
H380  Offline
trapper
H

Alberta
Congrats on some good lookin fur sounds like they are well earned , hope the price is good . , Great write up as well

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91