No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Meat tenderization [Re: brianmall] #6408163
12/24/18 09:58 PM
12/24/18 09:58 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
I hang my meat before butchering it if temps are to warm I age it in a refrigerator.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Meat tenderization [Re: brianmall] #6408178
12/24/18 10:14 PM
12/24/18 10:14 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
X2

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Meat tenderization [Re: brianmall] #6408189
12/24/18 10:31 PM
12/24/18 10:31 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by brianmall
Baking soda?

I soak mine in baking soda. Then braised, slow cook or make a gravy.

Re: Meat tenderization [Re: brianmall] #6408201
12/24/18 10:48 PM
12/24/18 10:48 PM
NW Wisconsin
M
Muskrat Love Offline
trapper
Muskrat Love  Offline
trapper
M

NW Wisconsin
Brian,

Just made a chuck roast tonight, which is a pretty tough piece of meat. What I alway do with these is to brown it in a little olive oil, in a pan with a cover. After browning, pour a bottle of beer in with the roast, some rosemary, thyme and caraway seed and cover. Place in a 325 degree oven for 2 hours. After two hours, add 3-4 whole onions, carrots, parsnips, and cook covered for another hour. Braising is the way to cook any tough piece of meat. Liquid, and a long, slow cook.

I regards to the ducks.... If these are tame ducks they should have a lot if fat on them.... This is a good thing! The problem with cooking duck is, if you roast it until the logs are tender, the breast will be like a sole of a shoe. The legs and thighs are cooked separately. I cut off the legs, leaving the thighs attached to them, and cook them in a covered casserole, adding an inch off water in the bottom. You can pack as many legs in as you can ft. Cook them covered for 3 hours in a 325 degree oven. When you open the casserole up, they will be swimming in fat and the meat will fall off the bone. Carefully remove them, place in a frying pan and cook in a hot oven, 425 degrees, until the skin is crisp. This is a messy procedure and it may be better to cook out on a grill, as there's lots of spattering. This is called duck confit! You can see some great recipes on YouTube.

The breast are cooked, breast down, in a hot frying pan, to brown, and then turned over and placed in the hot, 425 degree oven. You want to cook the breasts only until they're medium rare. They will be tough and taste like liver if you over cook them. About 8-10 minutes in the hot oven should do it. Filet the breast off the bone and add a little jelly of your choice to the juices in the pan and pour over the sliced duck breast. Make sure you let the breast rest after taking them out of the oven, as the juices will all run out of the meat if you cut them right away. Resting gives the juices a chance to get reabsorbed back into the meat. This goes for any piece of meat you roast.

With either one of these recipes, make sure you don't splash any of them up on you forehead.... As your tongue will slap your brains out trying to get to it!

Check out YouTube.. Lots of duck breast and duck confit cooking info in there.

I've got a Masters in Education, but a P.H.D. in YouTube!

Muskrat Love

"I'm an old dog, and these are all new tricks!"
Re: Meat tenderization [Re: brianmall] #6408204
12/24/18 10:55 PM
12/24/18 10:55 PM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
Yup

I'll look at them.

I think I got the duck and chicken breast and legs down. Now I'm working on a wing recipe? I think we have the goat down now as well. My biggest problem right now being is that we are butchering older animals right now. Because we are learning as we go. I think most if the tenderization issues will be a nonissue once we get the process of raising to butcher down.

But I was reading where baking soda is what a lot of people use in an over night rub and/or cooking to tenderize?

I have a set of wings in the fridge right now for tmrw. Half with baking soda the not.

Last edited by brianmall; 12/24/18 11:56 PM.
Re: Meat tenderization [Re: brianmall] #6408223
12/24/18 11:33 PM
12/24/18 11:33 PM
Ky
W
WHSKR Offline
trapper
WHSKR  Offline
trapper
W

Ky
Take the shoulders or hams put in a cake pan pour apple cider vinegar in pan about an inch deep. Salt and pepper generously, cut up a large onion cover with tin foil. Turn on oven and slow bake all night 8-10 hours.
Cool to touch and pull off the bone. Pour out the cider vinegar and put the pulled meat back in the pan. Salt and pepper to taste and put on a cheap BBQ sauce “Kraft hickory” broil the meat in oven until the top dries to have several crispy edges. Best goat/deer BBQ ever. I promise

Re: Meat tenderization [Re: brianmall] #6408299
12/25/18 02:41 AM
12/25/18 02:41 AM

W
Wylee
Unregistered
Wylee
Unregistered
W

Brine it!

Re: Meat tenderization [Re: brianmall] #6408324
12/25/18 06:29 AM
12/25/18 06:29 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
take all wings an legs put in pressure cooker, 10 pounds for 45 min. then take out debone put what ever seasoning on you like, an can it then you will have meals ready anytime you need a quick meal ,just make rice an heat and pour duck over it

Re: Meat tenderization [Re: ] #6408429
12/25/18 09:12 AM
12/25/18 09:12 AM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline OP
trapper
brianmall  Offline OP
trapper
B

Indiana
Originally Posted by Wylee
Brine it!

I think that what the baking soda rub thing is?

A standard brine for 1.5 lbs of meat calls for ¼ cup of salt dissolved in 1 quart of water. If using baking soda, make a solution of ¼ teaspoon of baking soda and a pint of water for 12 ounces of ground beef. 12 ounces of sliced meat, such as chicken and pork, take a teaspoon of baking soda in their solution.

Your using salt?

Re: Meat tenderization [Re: brianmall] #6414395
12/31/18 02:40 PM
12/31/18 02:40 PM

W
Wylee
Unregistered
Wylee
Unregistered
W

I always use kosher salt. Never heard of using baking soda.. I'll have to look into it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread