No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6409833
12/26/18 11:34 PM
12/26/18 11:34 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Sorry, I meant to link this article instead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf

"Hybridization with other Canis
Main article: Canid hybrid

F1 wolf-dog hybrids from Wildlife Park Kadzidlowo, Poland. The first is the product of a male wolf and a female spaniel, while the latter comes from a female wolf and a male West Siberian Laika
It was once thought that dogs and gray wolves did not voluntarily interbreed in the wild, though they can produce fertile wolf-dog offspring.[40] In 2010, a study of 74 Italian wolf male lineages found that 5 of them originated from dog ancestry, indicating that female wolves will breed with stray male dogs in the wild.[41] In North America, black colored wolves acquired their coloration from wolf-dog hybridization, which occurred 10,000–15,000 years ago.[42] Like pure wolves, hybrids breed once annually, though their mating season occurs three months earlier, with pups mostly being born in the winter period, thus lessening their chances of survival.[40] However, one genetic study undertaken in the Caucasus Mountains showed that as many as 10% of dogs in the area, including livestock guardian dogs, are first generation hybrids.[43] The captive breeding of wolf-dog hybrids has proliferated in the United States, where there is an estimated population of 300,000.[44]

The gray wolf does not readily interbreed with coyotes.[15] Nevertheless, In 2018, a study looked at the genomic structure and admixture of North American wolves, coyotes, and other wolf-like canids using specimens from across their entire range that mapped the largest dataset of nuclear genome sequences and compared these against the wolf reference genome. The study supports the findings of previous studies that North American gray wolves and other wolf-like canids were the result of complex gray wolf and coyote mixing. A polar wolf from Greenland and a coyote from Mexico represented the purest specimens. The coyotes from Alaska, California, Alabama, and Quebec show almost no wolf ancestry. Coyotes from Missouri, Illinois, and Florida exhibit 5–10% wolf ancestry. There was 40%:60% wolf to coyote ancestry in red wolves, 60%:40% in eastern wolves from Ontario, and 75%:25% in wolves in the Great Lakes region. There was 10% coyote ancestry in Mexican wolves, 5% in Pacific Coast and Yellowstone wolves, and less than 3% in Canadian archipelago wolves.[45] The study indicates that the genomic ancestry of red, eastern and Great Lakes wolves were the result of admixture between modern gray wolves and modern coyotes. This was then followed by development into local populations. Individuals within each group showed consistent levels of coyote to wolf inheritance, indicating that this was the result of relatively ancient admixture. The eastern wolf (Angonquin Provincial Park) is genetically closely related to the Great Lakes wolf (Minnisota, Isle Royale National Park). If a third canid had been involved in the admixture of the North American wolf-like canids then its genetic signature would have been found in coyotes and wolves, which it has not.[45]

Additionally, coyote genetic markers have been found in some wild isolated gray wolf populations in the southern United States. Gray wolf Y-chromosomes have also been found in Texan coyote haplotypes.[46] In tests performed on a Texan canid of ambiguous species, mtDNA analysis showed that it was a coyote, though subsequent tests revealed that it was a coyote–gray wolf hybrid sired by a male Mexican gray wolf.[47] In 2013, a captive breeding experiment in Utah between gray wolves and western coyotes produced six hybrids through artificial insemination, making this the first hybridization case between pure coyotes and northwestern wolves. At six months of age, the hybrids were closely monitored and were shown to display both physical and behavioral characteristics from both species.[12]

Although hybridization between wolves and golden jackals has never been observed, evidence of such occurrences was discovered through mtDNA analysis on jackals in Bulgaria.[14] Although there is no genetic evidence of gray wolf-jackal hybridization in the Caucasus Mountains, there have been cases where otherwise genetically pure golden jackals have displayed remarkably gray wolf-like phenotypes, to the point of being mistaken for wolves by trained biologists.[43]"

Keith

Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: white17] #6409850
12/26/18 11:54 PM
12/26/18 11:54 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Originally Posted by white17
With all due respect. That's nonsense !! That is just BS contrived by those who want to see all the wolves eliminated.

I'm no expert but we DO have experts on this forum and they will tell you the same thing. A Gray wolf is a gray wolf. is a gray wolf.

I'm not trying to start an argument but gray vs. Timber is like mule deer vs black tail deer. Same species different sub class. And to say otherwise is the bs they used to force an invasive species down out throats.

Last edited by nvwrangler; 12/26/18 11:55 PM.
Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6409868
12/27/18 12:06 AM
12/27/18 12:06 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Nope not trying to start an argument either but you're just biologically wrong about the invasive species view.

Hopefully we can get Gulo to weigh in on this, Or Beaver Thumper or Cohunt . We have any number of qualified biologists on here who can provide us with accurate information

Mean As Nails
Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6409872
12/27/18 12:12 AM
12/27/18 12:12 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Yes , to know Gulo and his extensive work with wolves from the world he has traveled , is to have one's eyes opened in clear education.

When I attended his classes, I was astounded at the sheer immense life experiences he shared , along with the technical aspects .

And I will never forget the phrase, " a wolf is a wolf, is a wolf. " No difference.

Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Sharon] #6409881
12/27/18 12:20 AM
12/27/18 12:20 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Originally Posted by Sharon
Yes , to know Gulo and his extensive work with wolves from the world he has traveled , is to have one's eyes opened in clear education.

When I attended his classes, I was astounded at the sheer immense life experiences he shared , along with the technical aspects .

And I will never forget the phrase, " a wolf is a wolf, is a wolf. " No difference.

I hope he chimes in as I am open to learning but that's an awful broad statement. I mean just look at the different types of white tailed deer. Funny how when biologists want something out on the endangered list its because they are a separate sup species .

Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6409887
12/27/18 12:24 AM
12/27/18 12:24 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
I guarantee you ........Gulo is a master bio who believes in harvesting a wildlife resource when the numbers justify it. No ESA crap . He's a trapper as well as a world renowned biologist. He's been sued by the AR whackos several times .

Mean As Nails
Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6409893
12/27/18 12:29 AM
12/27/18 12:29 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
I look forward to learning and gaining knowledge. My point is why would wolves be different from any other animal that it only has one species and never evolved into different sub species? I look forward to learning and hearing what anyone has to say.

Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: nvwrangler] #6409894
12/27/18 12:30 AM
12/27/18 12:30 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by nvwrangler

I hope he chimes in as I am open to learning but that's an awful broad statement. I mean just look at the different types of white tailed deer. Funny how when biologists want something out on the endangered list its because they are a separate sup species .

Here's something to consider.

We know that wolf populations that evolve with their prey species, will attain a size and stature that allows them to take down their prey. So consider the wolves of the 19th century on the great palins preying on bison that can weigh up to 2000 pounds. On the other hand we have wolves in Canada and Alaska that prey on moose that might weigh 1000-1200 pounds.

It is not a stretch of the imagination to believe that wolves preying on bison COULD have been bigger than the wolves in the Rocky Mountain West today.

Mean As Nails
Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: nvwrangler] #6409901
12/27/18 12:35 AM
12/27/18 12:35 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by nvwrangler

That is a good point, that Gulo has explained in depth , there being multi leveled reasons of qualified and UN qualified RE-search "findings". smile

It is a fascinating subject in and of itself.

Gulo , if he chooses, will pick just what he cares to explain . His knowledge gathered in decades of hands on studies from around the world, just on the one subject of wolves, blows the mind in appreciation. Not to mention the plethora of reptiles,insects, many other large animals, like bears, etc...and the world of parasites , staggers the imagination.

I have not even mentioned the half of his accomplishments and talent.

I could sit for days on end trying to learn and absorb , listening to him speak.

Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6409908
12/27/18 12:48 AM
12/27/18 12:48 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
White , I could see that or maybe smaller as bison aren't built for speed or endurance. What kind of size difference is there if any between those the follow caribou herds vs those that target mainly moose? I'm asking because I don't know.
I'd like to see fossil records and DNA studies. It's been a while but that last bunch of studies I read one could pick and choose what met ones agenda. I'll admit I'm biased as this was forced on us and the EIA is no longer being used for intended purposes, but as a political tool.

Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6409911
12/27/18 12:55 AM
12/27/18 12:55 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Oh there really isn't any difference ............that I can quantify..............between wolves that target moose and those that target caribou. They are the same packs that target the same animals that present targets of opportunity.

Mean As Nails
Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6409942
12/27/18 02:55 AM
12/27/18 02:55 AM
OBX N.C.
Leary Sink Offline
trapper
Leary Sink  Offline
trapper

OBX N.C.
“for some reason coyotes in the west seem to show no inclination to crossbreed with domestic dogs.”

Waggler I agree with you here in coastal NC they aint trying to make love to em, they are tryin to eat em!
Our feral cats are like tweekers with the jones on now they are so skiddish.

Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: white17] #6409966
12/27/18 06:12 AM
12/27/18 06:12 AM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
With all due respect. That's nonsense !! That is just BS contrived by those who want to see all the wolves eliminated.

I'm no expert but we DO have experts on this forum and they will tell you the same thing. A Gray wolf is a gray wolf. is a gray wolf.

But what if its black? Just kidding.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6410012
12/27/18 06:58 AM
12/27/18 06:58 AM
South Dakota
N
Nativetrapper10 Offline
trapper
Nativetrapper10  Offline
trapper
N

South Dakota
biologist here, got my masters from sdsu. western coyotes do hybridize with dogs, you see it fairly often on the reservations where there are large amounts of feral dogs. that being said those are isolated. most of our coyotes would be mostly "pure". and the wolves. all wolves are canis lupus. timber wolf, and gray wolf, are one in the same. not even different subspecies, they are the same. that being said there are subspecies recognized, like the mexican wolf, the eurasian wolf, and probably a couple others i cant think of off the top of my head. as to the claim that biologists create subspecies so we can list them, be quiet your ignorance is showing.

Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6410019
12/27/18 07:05 AM
12/27/18 07:05 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I'm no biologist but I have trapped western coyotes some. I have yet to see a wolf anyplace outside a zoo though I have seen tracks on multiple occasions.

I got them all correct by simply calling anything that didn't look like a coyote a wolf.

Everyplace I ever trapped coyotes they hate dogs and vice versa. In the east I think pen escapees bred with dogs as coyotes are first and foremost very adaptable survivors. There wasn't anything else to breed with. Will be hard to convince me the coyote expansion east of the Mississippi wasn't the result of pens buying all these KS and WY coyotes illegally for several decades.

I have only seen one litter of coydogs here. About 20 years ago. When the cowboy asked me to kill them I thought he had feral dogs. I caught 4 and I believe it was the whole litter. Odd looking things. Showed the pelts to the game warden when he came over to tag cats. He was kinda surprised too but agreed they were likely coydogs. IMO its very rare on this side of the river.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6410305
12/27/18 01:05 PM
12/27/18 01:05 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
It is always fascinating to me to see how a thread often morphs into inspiring SUBjects , smile and when accompanied with further education in mind, that is a good thing.

There is indeed amazing knowledge in the Tman Tribe to appreciate and learn from .

Biologists here , as well as those who are very much the same of education , in their own right, without following that career exclusively , sharing their wisdom is likewise , very powerful . Much thanks and appreciation to those contributors, such as Sir Ken included, your affiliation of interest in biology in common, along with such close friendship with career bios and others, contributes immensely to the wealth of knowledge .

This all serves to strengthen and shore up unified insight, that is a progressive protection to shield against the onslaught of contrived mis- information from sources who are bent on ceasing the best use of natural resources , such as fur bearers , and the trapping lifestyles held so dear . Many thanks to all here who contribute to such a firewall of protection.

Gulo has a very informative article in the upcoming January issue of FFG on wolves , a compact version touching on highlights of his life experience. I say touching in highlights, because it is the tip of the iceburg of years in the gathering , one article not even sufficient to give the summit its total. A book written would be more like it .

Learning for me is so enjoyable and fascinating ...and trying to remember as much as possible.

I cant wait to see such an article also shared in the same magazine from himself, on wolverine ....

cool

Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: white17] #6410349
12/27/18 01:45 PM
12/27/18 01:45 PM
Northern Virginia
J
Jarhead620 Offline
trapper
Jarhead620  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Virginia

That's right. Too many get carried away with unsupportable subspeciation.

Jarhead

"Just as the deer herd lives in mortal fear of its wolves, so does a mountain live in mortal fear of its deer." Aldo Leopold
Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6410381
12/27/18 02:16 PM
12/27/18 02:16 PM
nw wi
I
iron rob Offline
trapper
iron rob  Offline
trapper
I

nw wi
Nailed it 100%

Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6410483
12/27/18 04:26 PM
12/27/18 04:26 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Thanks for weighing in Nativetrapper10.....and Jarhead620. I had forgotten that you too are a wildlife bio.

Mean As Nails
Re: Coyote or Wolf quiz. [Re: Trap Setter] #6410527
12/27/18 05:08 PM
12/27/18 05:08 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
The remarks above about wolves growing to match their prey are interesting. Some wolves in Yellowstone are primarily eating buffalo, or so i read. Are th y getting bigger or maybe the excessive terrain keeps them thinner/smaller? How about those that were on the big island in Lake Superior and only had moose to eat, were they bigger?

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread