No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
grayhounds #6410543
12/27/18 05:17 PM
12/27/18 05:17 PM
Fl
C
chains Offline OP
trapper
chains  Offline OP
trapper
C

Fl
Do they Bark? When running >

Re: grayhounds [Re: chains] #6410549
12/27/18 05:21 PM
12/27/18 05:21 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Nope. Notta peep. Not real vocal period.

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: grayhounds [Re: chains] #6410554
12/27/18 05:27 PM
12/27/18 05:27 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
What about greyhounds...

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: grayhounds [Re: Gary Benson] #6410595
12/27/18 06:04 PM
12/27/18 06:04 PM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
What about greyhounds...

if ya bet on him guaranteed to stop and take a dump!

The only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap !
Re: grayhounds [Re: chains] #6410639
12/27/18 06:47 PM
12/27/18 06:47 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
My friend Pete is big into race dogs. It's supposed to technically be a race to tree a coon, but the dogs are almost 100% greyhound and don't use their noses. Dogs get points for stepping into the ring around the coon tree and touching the tree. The dogs are almost entirely quiet while running. They are incredibly fast. The bigger ones would make good coyote dogs. They are pretty gritty.

Keith

Re: grayhounds [Re: chains] #6410682
12/27/18 07:27 PM
12/27/18 07:27 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
If they get loose they are hard to get back.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: grayhounds [Re: KeithC] #6410710
12/27/18 07:51 PM
12/27/18 07:51 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by KeithC
My friend Pete is big into race dogs. It's supposed to technically be a race to tree a coon, but the dogs are almost 100% greyhound and don't use their noses. Dogs get points for stepping into the ring around the coon tree and touching the tree. The dogs are almost entirely quiet while running. They are incredibly fast. The bigger ones would make good coyote dogs. They are pretty gritty.

Keith

None of that makes sense as coons are hunted by scent and no sight hound breed possesses treeing ability. Curs and feists have both scent and sight hound in their make up plus a shot or two of terrier grit and bird or shepherd dog sense. Hence curs and feists can often be silent on track, extremely fast and the head full of sense to use their eyes when trailing and treeing.

[Linked Image]
Re: grayhounds [Re: warrior] #6410796
12/27/18 09:03 PM
12/27/18 09:03 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by warrior

Keith

None of that makes sense as coons are hunted by scent and no sight hound breed possesses treeing ability. Curs and feists have both scent and sight hound in their make up plus a shot or two of terrier grit and bird or shepherd dog sense. Hence curs and feists can often be silent on track, extremely fast and the head full of sense to use their eyes when trailing and treeing.

They used to hold coon dog races at Kenton, Ohio that lasted for days. Many thousands of people would go for the races, swap meet and night time debauchery. They had water courses and dry land courses for coon dogs. Lots and lots of betting was involved. Since the dogs all ran together, people started crossing faster breeds of dogs on the coonhounds. Eventually all the dogs used were mostly greyhound. They went to using fenced in tracks. A coon is hung in a tree at the end of the track. They spray paint a circle around the tree on the ground. The first two dogs to enter the circle and the first two dogs to touch the tree get points. The dogs sight hunt only. The dogs have to be muzzled. They are extremely aggressive hunters.

The water "coon" dogs ended up being mostly labrador and Chesapeake Bay retriever blooded. They run and swim in a long fenced off area, with a series of shallow ponds with small strips of land in between, with a coon in the tree at the end.

The Kenton races are no longer held. There are still lots of other dog races in Ohio and Indiana. They pay out lots of money.

Keith

Re: grayhounds [Re: chains] #6410989
12/28/18 12:10 AM
12/28/18 12:10 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I've heard of Kenton, before my time, but didn't know all the details. Always assumed it was hounds not crossbreds.

As much as I miss the hounds I don't miss the nite hunts and drama.

[Linked Image]
Re: grayhounds [Re: chains] #6411011
12/28/18 01:07 AM
12/28/18 01:07 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Max's Water Dog Races, by Lima, Ohio, sort of took the place of Kenton. I don't think it is quite as big, but it's definitely not a small event.

http://maxstraderdays.com

Kenton used to have more traps for sale at it then I have ever seen anywhere else in my entire life. I wish I had bought all the decent bear traps I saw for sale there. They seemed high to me back in the day, but their value has increased so much I could have made a small fortune reselling them now. There were tons of old teethed traps at it. There were incredible amounts of hunting dogs for sale at Kenton on huge coffle chains. It was really wild at night there.

On Max's website you can see pictures of the "coondogs". Most of the race dogs are nearly pure greyhounds.

The first time I was at Kenton, I was looking for the coon dog racers' camp. I got directions to the area and all I kept seeing were greyhounds. Finally I asked a guy, who was watering dogs, where the coonhounds were and he told me I was looking at them. I said "aren't these greyhounds?" and he said "there's a percent or two of coonhound blood in them." Another guy chimed in, "well maybe not that much." The first guy laughed and said "well maybe their grandmothers saw a picture of a coonhound sometime." They had a good laugh over it.

The dogs are impressive athletes. If I had places to hunt, that were flat with no cover, it would be fun to have a brace of them.

Keith

Re: grayhounds [Re: chains] #6411756
12/28/18 08:43 PM
12/28/18 08:43 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
We use them pretty regularly for coyotes , but mine did double duty as coon dogs. Used to love setting up a caller to 'coon fight' and then turn the fast dogs loose when customers started showing up.

Last edited by Aaron Proffitt; 12/28/18 08:43 PM.

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: grayhounds [Re: KeithC] #6411884
12/28/18 10:44 PM
12/28/18 10:44 PM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
Heard many a story about Kenton. I never made it to one, but wish I would have. If I am not mistaken the Kenton deal ended sometime in the mid or late 90's did it not?
Max's Water Dog Races, by Lima, Ohio, sort of took the place of Kenton. I don't think it is quite as big, but it's definitely not a small event.

http://maxstraderdays.com

Kenton used to have more traps for sale at it then I have ever seen anywhere else in my entire life. I wish I had bought all the decent bear traps I saw for sale there. They seemed high to me back in the day, but their value has increased so much I could have made a small fortune reselling them now. There were tons of old teethed traps at it. There were incredible amounts of hunting dogs for sale at Kenton on huge coffle chains. It was really wild at night there.

On Max's website you can see pictures of the "coondogs". Most of the race dogs are nearly pure greyhounds.

The first time I was at Kenton, I was looking for the coon dog racers' camp. I got directions to the area and all I kept seeing were greyhounds. Finally I asked a guy, who was watering dogs, where the coonhounds were and he told me I was looking at them. I said "aren't these greyhounds?" and he said "there's a percent or two of coonhound blood in them." Another guy chimed in, "well maybe not that much." The first guy laughed and said "well maybe their grandmothers saw a picture of a coonhound sometime." They had a good laugh over it.

The dogs are impressive athletes. If I had places to hunt, that were flat with no cover, it would be fun to have a brace of them.

Keith

Heard many a story about Kenton. I never made it to one, but wish I would have. If I am not mistaken the Kenton deal ended sometime in the mid or late 90's did it not?

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: grayhounds [Re: chains] #6414547
12/31/18 05:26 PM
12/31/18 05:26 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
The last Kenton Coon Dog Trial was in 2008. The trials ran for 54 years. The insurance costs of running a huge event with guns, gambling, camping and loads of booze made it to expensive to keep having.

Keith

Re: grayhounds [Re: chains] #6414618
12/31/18 06:30 PM
12/31/18 06:30 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
They are an amazing animal to watch chase coyotes. They make up ground you wouldn’t believe. A lot of times the ones I’ve been around will whine when they see the coyotes. Rarely bark. Throw three greyhounds out and an Irish wolfhound out for a throat dog they become a machine.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: grayhounds [Re: KeithC] #6414747
12/31/18 08:06 PM
12/31/18 08:06 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
The insurance costs of running a huge event with guns, gambling, camping and loads of booze made it to expensive to keep having.

Keith

The tragic collateral of our litigious society created by James’ profession. Fundraiser carnivals, local festivals, a lot of fairs, etc. All killed by insurance required due to the risk of litigation.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: grayhounds [Re: KenaiKid] #6414762
12/31/18 08:14 PM
12/31/18 08:14 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by KenaiKid
The insurance costs of running a huge event with guns, gambling, camping and loads of booze made it to expensive to keep having.

Keith

The tragic collateral of our litigious society created by James’ profession. Fundraiser carnivals, local festivals, a lot of fairs, etc. All killed by insurance required due to the risk of litigation.

A guy I know, John, was part of a group, who made a 4 story, plywood and card board maze every Halloween, for many years. It took them weeks to put together. They did not charge anyone to go through it and did not even ask for donations. Somebody from the city finally showed up and told them they needed a permit and insurance to operate it. Insurance was going to be several thousand dollars, so they stopped building it.

Keith

Re: grayhounds [Re: chains] #6414788
12/31/18 08:32 PM
12/31/18 08:32 PM

B
bleeohio
Unregistered
bleeohio
Unregistered
B

I sure miss Kenton , was like a family reunion, only drunkerer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread