Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! #6415670
01/01/19 05:52 PM
01/01/19 05:52 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
Wolverine Hunter Offline OP
trapper
Wolverine Hunter  Offline OP
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Hi fellow trappers! This will be my first post on here. I am sort of a "do-it-yourselfer". I learn well by trial and error - but I also learn a lot by reading forums, watching you tube videos, and I love having a mentor to teach me, and shorten the learning curve. I'm looking for advice based on all of your experience, because I am stepping into a whole new realm.

My trapping thus far has all been down in Minnesota - where I started out as a young kid trapping muskrats, mink and beaver. College and family life, and work responsibilities came along, and I sort of lost my way when it comes to trapping. But a few years ago, I arranged my life so that I could get back at it. Here in Minnesota, I have been trapping coyotes, red and grey fox, beaver, coon, and as of late, bobcat with a little effort at fisher and marten. Fisher and marten are more rare where I live, and we only get six days to have at it. Not much for opportunity.

Anyway, to get to the point. I married a lady from Alaska. I bounce back and forth between the two states. I am always up there for summer. This will be my first winter. I am in Minnesota currently, but arrive in AK, Homer area, on Jan 12. I am most excited to see my wife. After that, all I can think about is trapping. I have zero gear up there - so I will be throwing myself into getting gear, tools, a snowmobile (ok snow machine), a freight sled, and so on. That, and learning a territory. How to gain access to it. Finding critters and learning how they behave. Safety. Etc.

Seriously, I sit at night and read through these guys' journals that are 40 or 50 pages long. Beat the heck out of TV! For those of you who take the time to write these - I thank you. Sure do enjoy them...

I wish I could say that I have a trapline. That I have a territory. But I don't. I would really like to know how all of that works?

Here is what I do know. There is a very limited road system on the Kenai Peninsula. I assume, and the local wildlife guy has informed me, that there are already trappers out there working those areas. Is there a way of really knowing "who is operating where" - short of hopping in the truck, riding the snowmobile, and hiking in snowshoes? I don't want to crowd anyone, but I really don't want to just assume it is taken either. I don't have a ton of options.

I want to trap the stuff we can't get in MN. I want a wolf. And I want a wolverine. Hence the moniker "Wolverine Hunter." I will be looking for my first... so any advice I can get would be great.

I am told Lynx is not open for trapping in this area yet, but I can hunt them by calling them in and I can shoot two. Love any advice on this. I have a good fox pro with lots of rabbit sounds, and a good .17 WMR that should do the trick.

I'm not trapping for a fur check. I collect them. And I give them to friends who enjoy them. It's more about being outdoors, exercise, learning, and the challenge.

I will be looking for a snow machine pronto. I like what I have seen about Skidoo Tundra and Skandic. But I am open to advice. We don't have utility sleds down here in MN :-)

I need traps and tools! You think I can find a really good supplier online in AK? Nope! So what are you guys doing? I don't really want to bring all my MN stuff up there. Don't really want to ship as it's crazy expensive. Right now, I'm bringing some stuff on the plane with me - snares, footholds, and #330's. That stuff is more important than clothes haha.

Well - that's enough for now, I think. I'm sure conversation will spark more. And if I am beating a dead horse with conversation that you veterans have seen over and over, then by all means direct me to the right place.

Thanks in advance...

15338728_1354272831273325_5822085302687233094_n.jpg
Last edited by Wolverine Hunter; 01/01/19 06:10 PM.
Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6415746
01/01/19 07:41 PM
01/01/19 07:41 PM
wasilla ak
A
AK TRAPR Offline
trapper
AK TRAPR  Offline
trapper
A

wasilla ak
Join the Alaska trappers association and go to their meetings

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6415754
01/01/19 07:53 PM
01/01/19 07:53 PM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

AK
There's a 2015 skidoo tundra with 259 miles on it for sale in Homer on Anchorage Craigslist. Heck of a deal. I have a Tundra and like it. You'll just have to get out and explore a little to figure out where you can trap.

Psalm 34:6
Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6415757
01/01/19 07:55 PM
01/01/19 07:55 PM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

AK
You'll hear many times, wherever you go, that most of the good places are already trapped. I've always been able to find a place and have never stepped on anyone's toes or had them step on mine. So ignore the naysayers that say there is no room for newcomers.

Psalm 34:6
Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6415776
01/01/19 08:15 PM
01/01/19 08:15 PM
AK
bfisch Offline
trapper
bfisch  Offline
trapper

AK
Welcome! I am originally from Grand Rapids, MN. Not to discourage you it can definitely take time to find a line for yourself. If you find an unoccupied territory then you will need time to cut trail and figure out how you want to run it. During that time you hopefully can figure out what is in the are and maybe start figure out some of the critters habits. Their sign will tell you what to set and where which it sounds like you have plenty of experience in that area from trapping other furbearers.
I have a Skandic 600 Ace and it has been plenty for me although some prefer the 900. I use my for hauling wood, breaking trail, etc. I use my Polaris 550 LXT if the trail is good. It is a funner more comfortable ride.
I don't know much about the country down that way but as far as traps or supplies or a snow machine you may check the local craigslist if you have not already.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: AK TRAPR] #6415814
01/01/19 08:45 PM
01/01/19 08:45 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Thanks. Have been on their website. I'm a member in MN. And a national member. Probably will be an AK member too. Didn't see where they listed the local meetings - but I have asked about Homer, Soldotna/Kenai.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: FL cracker in AK] #6415816
01/01/19 08:46 PM
01/01/19 08:46 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
I saw that sled several times. It's tempting...

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: bfisch] #6415820
01/01/19 08:48 PM
01/01/19 08:48 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
I was just up near Grand Rapids yesterday - looking for grouse. They are super scarce this year. I think turkeys are part of the problem. We say 28 turkeys and 1 grouse. Sound backwards?

And deep snow! 18 inches in the past 5 days or so...

See what you're missing???

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6415858
01/01/19 09:15 PM
01/01/19 09:15 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
First off, you must be really good at typing. Your intro was very long, and typing skills are un-neccessary here.
Second off, Minnesota blood complicates things. Other than myself, few succeed. There are no walleye, for starters. Perch, either. That said, there are a handful of fishing opportunities, if you know who to ask.
As far as trapping goes, Alaska is much smaller than it appears on a map, or even Google Earth, for that matter.
I say, either go all-in, buy the machine with the proceeds from your "down south" traps, join the ATA, get free, local knowledge from said group, and enjoy! Or, well, don't, and hate it for the rest of your life.
Whew!!! That took ME, a sourdough, nearly 45 minutes and 2 thumbs to type.
Good luck!

Last edited by alaska viking; 01/01/19 09:17 PM.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: alaska viking] #6415877
01/01/19 09:26 PM
01/01/19 09:26 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Alaska Viking - I'm a dang good typer. I better be - I do it for a living. That intro I typed took me four minutes! Don't need help fishing. Been slaying the fish in AK for 6 years now. Figured that out on my own. I'm a private tour guide in the summer up there. I'm a pretty tenacious Sum B. If you are the first Minnesotan to succeed in AK, I congratulate you! I'm gonna be the second! With or without help! That said, I agree. I been pouring over maps. Alaska's road system is SMALL. In Minnesota, I can get anywhere in my truck. I go on ATV, and on foot from there. Airplane and snow machine, I am working on for AK. Knowing what is out there, and trying to figure out how to get to it without spending my entire retirement - is a little crazy-making.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6415882
01/01/19 09:30 PM
01/01/19 09:30 PM
Ely, MN
Z
zymguy Offline
trapper
zymguy  Offline
trapper
Z

Ely, MN
Originally Posted by Wolverine Hunter
I was just up near Grand Rapids yesterday - looking for grouse. They are super scarce this year. I think turkeys are part of the problem. We say 28 turkeys and 1 grouse. Sound backwards?

And deep snow! 18 inches in the past 5 days or so...

See what you're missing???

you saw turkeys in Grand Rapids ?

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6415890
01/01/19 09:32 PM
01/01/19 09:32 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
I like you already. Oof-Da!
Bring wild rice. I have to beg relatives for it. My blood comes fro s.e. Minn.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: zymguy] #6415942
01/01/19 10:13 PM
01/01/19 10:13 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Yes the turkeys are expanding like crazy, and heading north and breeding in big numbers. I saw almost all of my turkeys between a line from Grand Rapids to Remer, and North.

My first degree was as a biologist, but I am first and foremost an outdoorsman. Something is wrong for the grouse up there. Drumming counts may be up in the spring, but there are no birds to show for it in the fall. Yes, we have predators - but we have a new kid in town. That's the good old wild turkey. All they do is walk, walk, walk. A scavenge the ground. When they come across a grouse nest - it is done for. That's my theory. Wildlife Biologists in Minnesota have to "think about it" for another decade or two.

Time to get rid of the permit system. Sell licenses over the counter to whomever wants them. And quit treating them like big game. There are more than enough turkeys - and the current harvest is not keeping up with their population explosion. That's my two cents...

I'm not blaming it entirely on turkeys, but they aren't helping. I like turkeys and turkey hunting, but I'd rather have grouse!

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: alaska viking] #6415950
01/01/19 10:19 PM
01/01/19 10:19 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Used to hunt turkeys all around Rushford. My big sister lived in LaCrosse. I have a Wild Rice Processing Plant less than a half mile from my house!

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6416099
01/02/19 12:54 AM
01/02/19 12:54 AM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Turkeys are not the problem in grouse numbers.

Anderson: Ruffed grouse numbers down in; West Nile one ...
Ruffed grouse numbers down in Minnesota, Wisconsin; West Nile virus one suspected reason. This fall, Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota wildlife officials will conduct a study to further determine ...
Rufed Grouse Numbers

As you know grouse go through boom and bust cycles, but there are various species of song birds which are in hard decline, to pheasants. Our turkeys hatched well here this year, but our pheasants had dismal hatches. Wet weather hurts chicks as much as airborne predators kill myriads of game birds. A great horned owl will kill a bird every day as will a Cooper's Hawk On average that would be 500 birds in their territories. In west central Minnesota the DNR attempted to stock prairie grouse, and the refuge was lined with hawks, which promptly ate every grouse.
The old propaganda of the 60's was that crows were destroying duck nests which was causing their decline. It was farmers draining sloughs. Special interests come up with all kinds of bogus data, like lead in gasoline was killing bald eagles which was another lie just like DDT was making egg shells brittle.

The simple solution is what is eating a prey and not another animal that is not destroying nests all through the United States.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6416129
01/02/19 04:13 AM
01/02/19 04:13 AM
AK
bfisch Offline
trapper
bfisch  Offline
trapper

AK
Wow! I don't think I have even seen a wild turkey within an hours drive of GR when I was down there. Last time I hunted grouse down there they were mighty skittish. They would take off 30 yards out or more in the brush. The numbers were there as I would hear 5-10 take off out of a group just not get a shot off. Here we call them willow grouse and we have had good numbers the last couple years. No flushing and shotgunning though. Just pick'em off with a 22.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6416252
01/02/19 09:24 AM
01/02/19 09:24 AM
ME.
W
WBG Offline
trapper
WBG  Offline
trapper
W

ME.
Turkeys=rats with wings. Although the darlings of game departments, a decline in grouse numbers corresponds with an increase in turkey numbers anywhere were turkey have been reintroduced into grouse habitat.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6416433
01/02/19 01:31 PM
01/02/19 01:31 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
But we digress - for this is not the original intent of my post :-)

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6416497
01/02/19 02:26 PM
01/02/19 02:26 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I had my heart set on a wolverine but I left the state before I had a chance to make that happen. I'm wondering what kind of wolverine population the Kenai supports.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Posco] #6416841
01/02/19 08:46 PM
01/02/19 08:46 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Posco - I've found a little research on the subject. Not really sure where it was and I'd have to go looking again for it, but I think it was tied to the Alaska DFG. I believe there is a trappable population on the peninsula, although there are much better areas to trap them, I am sure. I want to say that with overlapping territories, there might be something like 2-3 for 100,000 acres? And there is likely more than we think.

I do have someone I know who was able to trap a couple last winter on his first winter in the state. That kind of thing gives me hope! All I really want is just one for starters! I'm ill prepared though. I really really need some bait.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6416877
01/02/19 09:17 PM
01/02/19 09:17 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
I'm still here in northern MN Hunter, I have hone to Arctic cat and Polaris crossover sleds. Just picked up a Polaris 600 IQ ES and what a pleasure to run. I was going to go four stroke but the weight pushed me off. Lot of the guys up there in the remote like them however and I understand. My point is I wouldn't be resigned to a utility sled these days with all the great options out there.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Osky] #6416911
01/02/19 09:52 PM
01/02/19 09:52 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Osky - I am totally looking for snowmobile input. I looked at a four stroke skandic but too heavy for a 54 year old with a fused back - if I get stuck, which I will. So looking lighter. I'm hearing I need a long track for deep snow. I'm open to any brand. Seems people up north like Skidoo, but I'd consider any. I need something to get me by the first year or two. Then I will upgrade.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6417110
01/03/19 06:52 AM
01/03/19 06:52 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
I see the T-man Homerites haven’t chimed in yet. The fellas you want to talk to are Family Trapper and Spek. They’ve both trapped out of the Homer area for decades at least, and probably know as much as anyone about who goes where. I haven’t seen them on a lot but I’m sure they’ll chime in soon. If not, look them up and message them.
The Peninsula does have wolverine in the Kenai mountains that probably roam down into the foothills, so you might not have to run too far to find them. I’m sure I’ll never see one here in the Kenai River swamplands.

The Kenai Peninsula Trapper Association branch has meetings in Soldotna. I don’t know of any meetings down south (Homer). Both the ATA and the KP branch have Facebook pages if you use that.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6417140
01/03/19 07:53 AM
01/03/19 07:53 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
In my opinion, the most important basic concept re wolverine trapping is this: Wolverines are not particularly difficult to catch. The challenges are: 1. Find where there actually is a wolverine or two, and 2. Use adequate hardware to HOLD them!

I caught my first one within a couple years of starting to trap in Alaska. Caught it in a #2 coilspring trap set for a fox. Luckily it was a small female. I was checking the line and came on the set probably only an hour or so after the wolverine had been caught! Beginners luck for sure. I had it "rugged" and it is still on the wall of my office to remind me of what an incredibly lucky SOB I am!

Just to keep the conversation going, my favorite wolverine trap is the 330C. Followed closely by my NH 48's and NH 114's.

So my recommendations are: invest in some decent heavy gear. And leave your preconceived notions about how it "should" work in Alaska based on how it works in MN, behind you!

Pete

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: KenaiKid] #6417194
01/03/19 09:37 AM
01/03/19 09:37 AM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Thanks for the input Kid. Yeah - I've talked to the local biologist. Seems like there might be a couple wolverines in the Kenai Mountains for me! It's gonna take some work, but I never shied from that before.

I really want to meet Family Trapper when I get to Homer - I think his name is Les? or Len? I heard about him from my pal Rally Hess in Minnesota, who makes some dang good snares I love. He's building me some break-away wolf snares as we speak!

So this family trapper guy is famous, I guess, but he is a rather elusive man :-)

Pete - I'm bringing #330 Belisle with me on the plane! I keep hearing about Newhouse on the forum. Never heard of them down here. Where do you get them?

Last edited by Wolverine Hunter; 01/03/19 09:44 AM.
Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6417294
01/03/19 11:00 AM
01/03/19 11:00 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I wish you the best of luck, I think we're twins separated at birth. I wanted a wolverine as bad or worse than any big game animal I took up there. I hunted the upper Kenai a lot and I imagine there are stretches there that would hold wolverine. There were a fair number of wolves around.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Pete in Frbks] #6417298
01/03/19 11:02 AM
01/03/19 11:02 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks
Pete

Pete, you're a pilot by the looks of it, do you know Les Zerbe? If you have any ill will toward him, forget I asked. If not, I knew him years ago.

Last edited by Posco; 01/03/19 11:03 AM.
Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6417327
01/03/19 11:40 AM
01/03/19 11:40 AM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
They don't make Newhouse #114, or #48, any more, and are too valuable to collectors to put in the field, in most cases.
I have used several different brands and types for gulo, and my current favorite is the NO BS CANINE EXTREME. No off-set, outside laminate jaws.
A tank of a trap, and no dog to lose.
I did cut about 1/2" off the pan.
Oh, and lots of swivels!

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6417343
01/03/19 12:08 PM
01/03/19 12:08 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
My preference for wolverine is the MB 750W.

The KP is about the last place I would choose to trap...simply because of the numbers of people and the horrible wet winters.

If i were in your shoes I'd be looking for a fly-in location where you will have some country to yourself and temperatures that are a lot more stable

Mean As Nails
Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: KenaiKid] #6417353
01/03/19 12:30 PM
01/03/19 12:30 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by KenaiKid
I’m sure I’ll never see one here in the Kenai River swamplands.

Do you ever venture into the Upper Trail Lake area? I killed a couple of sheep in there. Closer to Anchorage, the Twenty Mile River, Placer River? I hunted those areas a lot for black bear. I walked through the Whittier Tunnel before they ever thought about putting a road in there. Me and a pal thought we would break into some pristine country on the other side of that mountain. Sadly mistaken as you probably know.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: white17] #6417387
01/03/19 01:29 PM
01/03/19 01:29 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by white17
My preference for wolverine is the MB 750W.

The KP is about the last place I would choose to trap...simply because of the numbers of people and the horrible wet winters.

If i were in your shoes I'd be looking for a fly-in location where you will have some country to yourself and temperatures that are a lot more stable

Good wolf and wolverine across the inlet from him down on the Peninsula if I remember correctly.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: alaska viking] #6417553
01/03/19 05:45 PM
01/03/19 05:45 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
NO BS CANINE EXTREME

Who's that made by?

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: white17] #6417559
01/03/19 05:50 PM
01/03/19 05:50 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
White17 - that will be a long term goal. Another is to eventually get my own plane and fly. However, I Live in Homer part time. My wife and I have a home there. And, I do have a job - although it is pretty dang flexible. So - my plan for this winter is to just get "geared up and orientated" and get a little experience. Next winter, I will get more serious. And by then, it will probably be a full-blown addiction. I know me...

Dear God - to be able to just drop everything and go live in the bush and trap every day for a couple months? Sorry wifey, but that would be my dream. I still love ya and everything... :-)

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6417871
01/04/19 12:44 AM
01/04/19 12:44 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
I'm confused about the snogo part. How often can one actually use a snogo around Homer? Maybe if your up in the higher country? I wonder if you'd be better off with a good boat and boating somewhere out of Homer?
mt

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Posco] #6417893
01/04/19 01:55 AM
01/04/19 01:55 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Originally Posted by Posco
I’m sure I’ll never see one here in the Kenai River swamplands.

Do you ever venture into the Upper Trail Lake area? I killed a couple of sheep in there. Closer to Anchorage, the Twenty Mile River, Placer River? I hunted those areas a lot for black bear. I walked through the Whittier Tunnel before they ever thought about putting a road in there. Me and a pal thought we would break into some pristine country on the other side of that mountain. Sadly mistaken as you probably know.

I’ve stomped around the Chugach mountains a bit on this side of the pass. Not much on the Anchorage side. Most of those mountains are a lot of work if you’re off a trail. If you’re not in devils club or alders, it gets steep fast.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: KenaiKid] #6418033
01/04/19 09:22 AM
01/04/19 09:22 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I’ve stomped around the Chugach mountains a bit on this side of the pass. Not much on the Anchorage side. Most of those mountains are a lot of work if you’re off a trail. If you’re not in devils club or alders, it gets steep fast.

You know it well.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: martentrapper] #6418061
01/04/19 10:19 AM
01/04/19 10:19 AM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Well - I got a real good boat, and a Zodiac, and that is likely my best option.

There are a number of snowmobile trail networks around here that I just wanted to "scout". See if there is sign, and see if anyone is trapping it. Perhaps breaking trails off of the established snowmobile trails wherever it might be appropriate. It is only an option that I want to explore. And that is only if no-one is already in there trapping it.

Some of you might have advice on this I'd like to hear it...

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6418170
01/04/19 12:45 PM
01/04/19 12:45 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
No BS Traps are made by Kendall Obermier.
His company is actually called NO BS LURES.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6418786
01/05/19 01:19 AM
01/05/19 01:19 AM
Homer, Alaska
C
Cytex Offline
trapper
Cytex  Offline
trapper
C

Homer, Alaska
Finding a wolverine in the Homer area is pretty tough, they are around, mainly in the Kenai Mountains and those areas that are adjacent to the mountains are the most heavily trapped. There are several established long term lines in that area as well as a few younger trappers from the Russian villages that are working the porifera. That being said there is quite a bit of wolf opportunity in my opinion in the Anchor River drainage. I don't believe anyone is really targeting them, partially due to the potential for mangy hides. It takes a lot of time and effort to connect on a wolf and its a letdown when they are patchy and thin. Last I saw about half have good hides, of the 4 I have caught in recent years 1 was good, 1 okay, and 2 junk. Talking to Jason at ADFG would be the best thing to find out what is going on in that area. I am only really up on who is trapping to the east of Homer where my line is. feel free to PM me if you want more information.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Cytex] #6421790
01/08/19 12:21 AM
01/08/19 12:21 AM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Like to connect when I get up there. Would be nice to know a fellow trapper in town.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Posco] #6421796
01/08/19 12:25 AM
01/08/19 12:25 AM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Posco - that is the one I was talking about! I found this article one day last summer when I was in Homer, being lazy. it is really interesting as my roots are in wildlife biology (that was my first degree) and we did radio collaring and tracking of white tail deer. How cool to see how those wolverine travel on a map! The vertical ground, as well as the square miles! Gives me hope that they will find me quicker than I will find them! Thanks for sharing. I read the entire thing again...

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6422165
01/08/19 12:17 PM
01/08/19 12:17 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Wolverine Hunter
Posco - that is the one I was talking about! I found this article one day last summer when I was in Homer, being lazy. it is really interesting as my roots are in wildlife biology (that was my first degree) and we did radio collaring and tracking of white tail deer. How cool to see how those wolverine travel on a map! The vertical ground, as well as the square miles! Gives me hope that they will find me quicker than I will find them! Thanks for sharing. I read the entire thing again...

If you could get up those slopes in the wintertime! Avalanche city. I've been all through those mountains and climbed a lot of them hunting for bear and they are steep.

That's a poke form Homer but you got some good intel right there giving you an idea where to set. You get the right bait on a valley floor and you'd probably be in business. I envy the daylights out of you guys. I miss that state.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6422175
01/08/19 12:26 PM
01/08/19 12:26 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I assume the wolverine frequent those slopes looking for winterkill sheep and goats. I'd have to assume they scour the valley floor looking for winterkill moose. I can point you in a couple of directions if you're interested. It'd be a drive for you but the prize would be worth it if you could connect.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Posco] #6423325
01/09/19 12:37 PM
01/09/19 12:37 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Posco - sure I'm interested. you want to PM me or something? I'm new. Can you do that on here?

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6436484
01/22/19 05:40 AM
01/22/19 05:40 AM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Well famous or not. I am back. haha. Haven't had much to contribute lately so have resisted the urge to read about what I should be out doing myself. haha. Good talking with you tonight WH. Hope to get to know you and perhaps run a few trails around Homer. Never trapped much here. Most of my experience in Ak has been out west on the Lower Yukon. I have a bit of info to pass along. Lets have lunch.

Re: New Guy - To The Wilderness I Go! [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6436713
01/22/19 11:49 AM
01/22/19 11:49 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Hey Len.....we heard you were dead !!