Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Do you own a trapline? Know anybody who does? [Re: Boco] #6418274
01/04/19 02:55 PM
01/04/19 02:55 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by Boco
Who gets a line that becomes vacant(death,etc)-and who decides?Even though most have a helper that buys a guy out,or a relative that takes over that traps,there are always lines that become vacant.

I would think in cases where a trapper didnt have a family member or helper that would take over after he quite, there would be someone in the area who would jump in and take over. I do know it would really tick me off to have someone start trapping any lines I've spent years cutting and managing. Im glad we dont have to worry about that here. Lines cost a lot of money, but once you pay for them they are yours.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Do you own a trapline? Know anybody who does? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6418302
01/04/19 03:32 PM
01/04/19 03:32 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
My trails will virtually disappear a few years after I disappear. Between the constant trees falling over and fast brush growth it is a constant battle to call them trails.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Do you own a trapline? Know anybody who does? [Re: Dirt] #6418323
01/04/19 04:02 PM
01/04/19 04:02 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by Dirt
My trails will virtually disappear a few years after I disappear. Between the constant trees falling over and fast brush growth it is a constant battle to call them trails.

Mine are much the same Dirt. The old timer I bought the line from told me that I was going to be amazed at the amount of timber that comes down over the course of a year and he was right! Even on my main trails I carry a saw everywhere I go and use it daily. I envy the guys that trap at higher altitudes where you can go anywhere and never cut a stick.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Do you own a trapline? Know anybody who does? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6418347
01/04/19 04:36 PM
01/04/19 04:36 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Sometimes it is easier to cut a new trail than try to open an old one.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Do you own a trapline? Know anybody who does? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6418350
01/04/19 04:39 PM
01/04/19 04:39 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Everyone has to start somewhere, I don't begrudge anyone pursuing a dream. That being said, I hear of a lot of guys who dream, and even actually start planning a move to Alaska without ever having visited the State.

Airfare is so affordable nowadays and travel in general is pretty easy. There is no excuse for not spending a month or more just exploring a couple of places you think you might want to relocate to. If you don't have the funds to do that you shouldn't really even be thinking about it; dreaming yes, planning no.

I know a lot of guys who did move to Alaska sight-unseen back in the 70's; it worked for many of them, many of them left with their tails between their legs.
However, it's not 1974 anymore.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Do you own a trapline? Know anybody who does? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6418425
01/04/19 06:19 PM
01/04/19 06:19 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
When I first got up here I bumped a few trappers and each one told me areas that they knew where others were and were not. Took a little time looking and as chance would have it I was buying traps from a guy that had wrecked his motorcycle, broke his hip, and had his knee replaced, he turned me onto the line I have now. Going to the bio and trappers meetings will help gain insight. There are plenty of areas to trap that are untouched, the problem you will encounter as do many others is finding a access point to create a line.

Re: Do you own a trapline? Know anybody who does? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6418807
01/05/19 02:33 AM
01/05/19 02:33 AM
AK
bfisch Offline
trapper
bfisch  Offline
trapper

AK
Originally Posted by WBG
A couple of months ago there was a fellow on here that was trapping out of a mine somewhere. During that thread it was mentioned that a trapper had passed in that general country and his widow might be looking to sell his line.

If we are thinking of the same one, I only know of the couple second hand, but I think you will need a plane to get in unless you plan to fly to a village and snow machine from there at least 40 miles as the crow flies to where it might start. I guess you could boat in and spend the winter. Should be good marten, beaver, and wolf country with the occasion wolverine and lynx around.

Re: Do you own a trapline? Know anybody who does? [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6419779
01/06/19 04:18 AM
01/06/19 04:18 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Your question has been answered, but I’ll sum it up: You don’t legally own a trapline in Alaska unless it’s all on private land, which would make it a very small line by our standards. You can own real estate (like a cabin along the line) equipment and most importantly, knowledge, but the vast majority of us trap on the millions of acres of federal, state and tribal land with no exclusive ownership whatsoever. The only thing that keeps us from stealing lines is decency, respect and secrecy.
So when a trapline is sold in Alaska, what you’re getting is the knowledge and whatever real estate or equipment is included. You still have the same risk of interlopers that the previous owners did.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Do you own a trapline? Know anybody who does? [Re: waggler] #6421770
01/08/19 12:11 AM
01/08/19 12:11 AM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
Wolverine Hunter Offline OP
trapper
Wolverine Hunter  Offline OP
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
waggler - not sure if you saw, but I have been living in Homer part time for the last six seasons. That is my locale. I'd prefer to be up north farther for trapping. Who knows. Maybe someday...

Re: Do you own a trapline? Know anybody who does? [Re: KenaiKid] #6421774
01/08/19 12:15 AM
01/08/19 12:15 AM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
Wolverine Hunter Offline OP
trapper
Wolverine Hunter  Offline OP
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Thanks for summing it all up. You guys have been helpful. For right now, this will just be a fun hobby. A small, very small line with perhaps a chance a catching a few critters each winter. I'd be thrilled with that. And with any luck, opportunity will grow with time. Right now, I'm not looking for a fur check. I'm looking for a challenge. Time outdoors. Exercise. And a few furs of critters I've never caught. They will go into my collection. Once I have that, they will go to my best pals who will appreciate them!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman