No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Trout Fishing- Finland MN #6422189
01/08/19 12:37 PM
01/08/19 12:37 PM
Cass Cnty, MN
J
JeffMcam Offline OP
trapper
JeffMcam  Offline OP
trapper
J

Cass Cnty, MN
Morning Guys and Gals-

I’m bringing the family up trout fishing for the upcoming weekend – my wife and 3 boys. We’re going to our cabin on Echo Lake near Finland MN- we’ll have to walk a short distance from the plowed road to the cabin. We’ll bring the dog and the sleds for the kids, snowshoes and pop up fish house and all the goodies. The plan is to get there and let the kids play in the snow and mess around while I start a fire and warm up the place and get unpacked. Then, we’ll strap on the snowshoes and make a trail out to the lake to my lucky trout fishing spot.. But wait.. I don’t have a lucky spot? This is the first winter at this lake and I have never caught a trout through the ice. So, this spot doesn’t even exist yet, but I am hoping to find one or two, so the kids can bring their kids to the lucky spot someday. I have obviously done some research on under ice trout out of excitement, but if anyone has any tips or tricks I would love to hear them. Better yet, if any of the MN folks have fished this lake in summer/winter, I would enjoy hearing some spots to try, if you’re willing to share!

I’ll post pictures next week if we’re able to catch one or two to fry up. I have 4 year old twins and they caught a sunfish at home this past weekend which they got to help clean and fry up for dinner- we all got one bite so needless to say, they are very excited to catch a rainbow trout for dinner.

Thanks!
Jeff

[Linked Image]

Re: Trout Fishing- Finland MN [Re: JeffMcam] #6422191
01/08/19 12:38 PM
01/08/19 12:38 PM
Blue Creek, Ohio
Hal Offline
"old windy fartbag"
Hal  Offline
"old windy fartbag"

Blue Creek, Ohio
Looks like fun.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
La pervenche est une tr�s belle couleur!!

Re: Trout Fishing- Finland MN [Re: JeffMcam] #6422205
01/08/19 12:58 PM
01/08/19 12:58 PM
MN
G
gary j Offline
trapper
gary j  Offline
trapper
G

MN
Hi Jeff,
I fished Echo many years ago, summer and winter. mostly along hwy 7. I've scuba dived there also and all along hwy 7 there are trees tipped over and absolutely filled with mono and lures etc so I would stay farther from the road than casting distance. There used to be a bait shop in Finland, so if that is still open check there. It was located just about where hwy 7 leaves hwy 1. Salted minnows, just the heads on swedish pimples work. My info is many years old, so take it for what it's worth and have fun.
Gary

Re: Trout Fishing- Finland MN [Re: JeffMcam] #6422432
01/08/19 05:09 PM
01/08/19 05:09 PM
Cass Cnty, MN
J
JeffMcam Offline OP
trapper
JeffMcam  Offline OP
trapper
J

Cass Cnty, MN
Thanks a lot Gary. I know the shore along 7 gets fished pretty good, especially in the summer months. I have been reading many people ice fish trout in shallow waters. I will give the salted minnows a try too.

Jeff

Re: Trout Fishing- Finland MN [Re: JeffMcam] #6422642
01/08/19 09:08 PM
01/08/19 09:08 PM
Ely, MN
Z
zymguy Offline
trapper
zymguy  Offline
trapper
Z

Ely, MN
white tube jigs or sweedish pimples with a piece of cisko

Re: Trout Fishing- Finland MN [Re: JeffMcam] #6422665
01/08/19 09:27 PM
01/08/19 09:27 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Online content
trapper
Nessmuck  Online Content
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Put a tip up on shore in 2 feet of water or less.....iam serious. I run a very small swivel ,with 8 inches of mono lead line to the hook.....and a shiner or smelt. If you don’t run a swivel...you line will tangle .

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Trout Fishing- Finland MN [Re: JeffMcam] #6422669
01/08/19 09:29 PM
01/08/19 09:29 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Online content
trapper
Nessmuck  Online Content
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Try some salmon eggs....and ... crawlers..too,and see what they like.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread