No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: East Texas Hunting [Re: Larry Baer] #6422166
01/08/19 12:18 PM
01/08/19 12:18 PM
Alaska, USA
Top Jimmy Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"
Top Jimmy  Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by Larry Baer
I've been looking at that EXACT same area for 2 years while I formulate my Illinois Exit Strategy!. Looks like it's filling up so you might want to get something quick. My Nephew lives in Houston and says there are fights over public land hunting. He also said people have been buying large tracts and starting a feeding program for deer and hogs. When they get to feeding a lot of game they hire 40 or 50 guys and they build a high fence around it as fast as possible. Presto chango - now it's a hunting club. LA is looking better all the time me.
I have noticed the prices going up some for a while. Everything's filling up.

I figure by the time I am ready, the next market crash will be in full swing. Pick up some nice property on the cheap.... smile

-TJ

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Re: East Texas Hunting [Re: Top Jimmy] #6422232
01/08/19 01:46 PM
01/08/19 01:46 PM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country
You can get you some real cheap property right now on the border with Mexico.

Sit on your horse on top of a ridge, look out across the country and tell me there is no God.

Re: East Texas Hunting [Re: Cedar Hacker] #6422261
01/08/19 02:22 PM
01/08/19 02:22 PM
Alaska, USA
Top Jimmy Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"
Top Jimmy  Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker
You can get you some real cheap property right now on the border with Mexico.

You have to remember the gold rule in R/E: Location, Location, Location! smile

Not the neighborhood I want to be in.... LOL

-TJ

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Re: East Texas Hunting [Re: Top Jimmy] #6422279
01/08/19 02:37 PM
01/08/19 02:37 PM
Gilmer, Texas
R
Ranger109 Offline
trapper
Ranger109  Offline
trapper
R

Gilmer, Texas
Jimmy, when you say "East Texas" can you narrow your focus down a little, East Texas covers a lot of territory. I live in NE Tx in the Longview area we have a lot of deer, ton's of hogs, some dove if you work at it, and not very many turkey. Land is going to run you $2,500 and up per acre. If you are going strictly for hunting activities the Centerville area as mentioned is a good one. I have a trapping friend in Lufkin and he has access to thousands of acre of land to trap on, but you will have to deal with the human element when trapping and hunting in this area.

Re: East Texas Hunting [Re: Top Jimmy] #6422291
01/08/19 02:45 PM
01/08/19 02:45 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
For a snowbird report, a number of people from here winter in Texas. The first reality is, you must have a pile of money for 100 acres of Texas land, building and retiring there. You will also like PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE as they are growing that crop in Texas.
Now for the realities. The people I have spoken with stated they had a very hard time in their small communities in their RV's because that last big hurricane soaked up all the big contractors and supplies in Houston. The outskirt communities were still waiting. The gal who related her story said Walmart was still doing business out of trucks parked in the parking lots there.
As my friends in Austin say, "You are not going to build a basement in Texas as the clay soil crushes basements in the wet and dry seasons." and "You are going to learn to spray for insects and deal with the cockroaches once winter comes".
Just remember that 2 to 4 hours from the ocean is still hurricane country.
For advice in rural areas, do a search for population densities, growth rate in populations, CRIME and yes the ratio of Americans to foreigners as Texas has numbers of them. Once you have that information, then go to google maps and start looking for the kind of area you would want for wildlife and then start realtor shopping or placing an ad.

In conversations I have had with people who lived in the south, one said as I was in Kansas CIty and she had moved to there from Arizona, was because of all the foreigners flooding the area. The other searched the entire United States as they lived in Florida and they went north instead of south, because as he told me, "You are going to regret the day that you started changing the dynamic of the population in your area. When you want Texas, just be aware what comes with Texas and it is only going to balloon by another 20 million souls moving there, as they do not have income taxes, have an expanding oil infrastructure and wall or not, legal foreigners are looking to that part of America as the population is moving to a majority Latin.

It is though a tough sale when your wife has decided she wants ocean and no one maybe has asked the question of how much time will they ever be spending on the beach. A nice off season rates vacation of a couple weeks might be all the ocean a person might ever want.

I hope some of that snowbird information helps.

Re: East Texas Hunting [Re: Ranger109] #6422320
01/08/19 03:06 PM
01/08/19 03:06 PM
Alaska, USA
Top Jimmy Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"
Top Jimmy  Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by Ranger109
Jimmy, when you say "East Texas" can you narrow your focus down a little, East Texas covers a lot of territory. I live in NE Tx in the Longview area we have a lot of deer, ton's of hogs, some dove if you work at it, and not very many turkey. Land is going to run you $2,500 and up per acre. If you are going strictly for hunting activities the Centerville area as mentioned is a good one. I have a trapping friend in Lufkin and he has access to thousands of acre of land to trap on, but you will have to deal with the human element when trapping and hunting in this area.

Ranger, looking to start in the Lufkin area and then work our way out from there.

-TJ

Re: East Texas Hunting [Re: star flakes] #6422341
01/08/19 03:17 PM
01/08/19 03:17 PM
Alaska, USA
Top Jimmy Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"
Top Jimmy  Offline OP
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by star flakes
For a snowbird report, a number of people from here winter in Texas. The first reality is, you must have a pile of money for 100 acres of Texas land, building and retiring there. You will also like PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE as they are growing that crop in Texas.
Now for the realities. The people I have spoken with stated they had a very hard time in their small communities in their RV's because that last big hurricane soaked up all the big contractors and supplies in Houston. The outskirt communities were still waiting. The gal who related her story said Walmart was still doing business out of trucks parked in the parking lots there.
As my friends in Austin say, "You are not going to build a basement in Texas as the clay soil crushes basements in the wet and dry seasons." and "You are going to learn to spray for insects and deal with the cockroaches once winter comes".
Just remember that 2 to 4 hours from the ocean is still hurricane country.
For advice in rural areas, do a search for population densities, growth rate in populations, CRIME and yes the ratio of Americans to foreigners as Texas has numbers of them. Once you have that information, then go to google maps and start looking for the kind of area you would want for wildlife and then start realtor shopping or placing an ad.

In conversations I have had with people who lived in the south, one said as I was in Kansas CIty and she had moved to there from Arizona, was because of all the foreigners flooding the area. The other searched the entire United States as they lived in Florida and they went north instead of south, because as he told me, "You are going to regret the day that you started changing the dynamic of the population in your area. When you want Texas, just be aware what comes with Texas and it is only going to balloon by another 20 million souls moving there, as they do not have income taxes, have an expanding oil infrastructure and wall or not, legal foreigners are looking to that part of America as the population is moving to a majority Latin.

It is though a tough sale when your wife has decided she wants ocean and no one maybe has asked the question of how much time will they ever be spending on the beach. A nice off season rates vacation of a couple weeks might be all the ocean a person might ever want.

I hope some of that snowbird information helps.

Thanks for the info. All good things to consider. We lived in San Antonio as a kid a few times and still have a few friends scattered about as well and have heard some horror stories on crime and the illegals moving in. Hoping to avoid most of that if we can.

Money is always an issue to those of us not independently wealthy, but based on what I have seen on the internet, I should be able to swing 100 acres, and maybe more if bought right at the right time. This isn't something we are doing in the next 24 months, but we are starting the process of looking. So when the time comes, we have everything ready to go to pull the trigger on a good deal. For this, time is on my side right now.

-TJ

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread