No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Army Rangers question [Re: Kart29] #6425031
01/11/19 01:12 AM
01/11/19 01:12 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,777
Western N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,777
Western N. Carolina
I didn't go to Ranger School, but IIRC they had a desert phase. Don't believe they do that anymore. It was back in the early 90s when I was in.


-------------------------------------
America First!!
Re: Army Rangers question [Re: ShawneeMan] #6425045
01/11/19 02:03 AM
01/11/19 02:03 AM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,554
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,554
North East Kansas
Originally Posted by ShawneeMan
Been there..and done it.
Also went to Recondo School in Nha Trang conducted by the 5th SF Group. There's never been any unit as gung-ho as those guys.
The school was open to all branches (US and Foreign) to train LRRP Team Leaders. Two of the "students" were Navy SEALS. My buddy and I overheard them complaining about how tough and demanding the school was. When they noticed we were listening, one of them said - "Well... tougher than the Army is supposed to be." We just smiled at them.
The Recondo School was designed to train Team Leaders for the Long Range Recon Patrol and Pathfinder teams which were all volunteer units.

I think it was in '69 the U.S. Army Combat Arms Regimental System (CARS), reorganized all U.S. Army Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol (LRRP) units under the 75th Infantry Regiment (Ranger). All of the Army "students" were members of either Pathfinder or LRRP units and were there to train as team leaders. The school was three weeks long, with the last week being a patrol in a hostile area. One of the "student" teams actually captured an NVA officer. Rank had no place in the school - everyone was a student.
The Recondo School was also known as the in-country Ranger School. Soooo... at that time you could volunteer to be a Ranger. But that was a long time ago.


Sounds like stuff from 'stealth patrol' which is one of my favorite books. Kudos to you and thank you for what you did. Those were difficult times and it is my understanding that the lrrp's were the cream of the crop in many ways. Balls of steel.


High Speed/Low Drag...grin
Re: Army Rangers question [Re: LAtrapper] #6425048
01/11/19 02:14 AM
01/11/19 02:14 AM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,554
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,554
North East Kansas
Originally Posted by LAtrapper
SEALgrinderPT - Hanging Core Exercises-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZkiFAe_tGw


Heel claps are a tough exercise if your not kipping and start each one from a dead hang....also much tougher if you bring your feet up over the bar rather than to the bar. Up over you can tend to 'clap' more toward the front of the foot rather than the heel. But it is still harder...real good hip/core exercise especially if you do the raise/lower slow and hold the clap for a bit. Toe to bar is harder, imo, if you do it strict and each one from a dead hang rather than using the pendulum motion to help you.

Many people can not do 1rep of either of those exercises from a dead hang. Nice video.


High Speed/Low Drag...grin
Re: Army Rangers question [Re: Kart29] #6425154
01/11/19 07:34 AM
01/11/19 07:34 AM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 21
Crossville,TN
A
ACP Offline
trapper
ACP  Offline
trapper
A

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 21
Crossville,TN
Big difference between going to the school and being in a RGR Bn. School is just a gut check.

Re: Army Rangers question [Re: Kart29] #6425539
01/11/19 03:06 PM
01/11/19 03:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 353
NW Wyoming
W
wyote Offline
trapper
wyote  Offline
trapper
W

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 353
NW Wyoming
Shawnee
My brother went to that school back in 69


For every law thats passed, alittle freedom dies
Re: Army Rangers question [Re: Kart29] #6425819
01/11/19 08:37 PM
01/11/19 08:37 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,336
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,336
MN
I fought 3 rangers at once when I was in the Army. The first one couldn't take me so two of his buddies joined in. Wasn't even my fight. I got drafted into it by the first one and it wasn't his fight either.
In the end, they kicked my butt, butt it took them quite a while seeing as they were quite a bit scared of the dude who was fighting 3 of them. In the end I looked really good to my chain. They did not. One of the guys I was stuck with had a weapon and the entire building got in a world of poop over it.

Re: Army Rangers question [Re: Marty] #6425861
01/11/19 09:03 PM
01/11/19 09:03 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,819
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper
ShawneeMan  Offline
trapper

Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,819
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
Originally Posted by Marty
Originally Posted by ShawneeMan
Been there..and done it.
Also went to Recondo School in Nha Trang conducted by the 5th SF Group. There's never been any unit as gung-ho as those guys.
The school was open to all branches (US and Foreign) to train LRRP Team Leaders. Two of the "students" were Navy SEALS. My buddy and I overheard them complaining about how tough and demanding the school was. When they noticed we were listening, one of them said - "Well... tougher than the Army is supposed to be." We just smiled at them.
The Recondo School was designed to train Team Leaders for the Long Range Recon Patrol and Pathfinder teams which were all volunteer units.

I think it was in '69 the U.S. Army Combat Arms Regimental System (CARS), reorganized all U.S. Army Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol (LRRP) units under the 75th Infantry Regiment (Ranger). All of the Army "students" were members of either Pathfinder or LRRP units and were there to train as team leaders. The school was three weeks long, with the last week being a patrol in a hostile area. One of the "student" teams actually captured an NVA officer. Rank had no place in the school - everyone was a student.
The Recondo School was also known as the in-country Ranger School. Soooo... at that time you could volunteer to be a Ranger. But that was a long time ago.


Sounds like stuff from 'stealth patrol' which is one of my favorite books. Kudos to you and thank you for what you did. Those were difficult times and it is my understanding that the lrrp's were the cream of the crop in many ways. Balls of steel.

Uhhh - not really - just weak minds.
My take away was being able to stalk deer and get close to them - so I guess it all worked out. LOL!!
Today's 75th Infantry is more like the MIKE forces that MACV-SOG used during the war. They are what you might call a heavy duty strike force


Shawnee National Forest - We live out here because we're not all there.
http://www.ripcordassociation.com
101 Pathfinder Det / Vietnam 1969 - 1971
Re: Army Rangers question [Re: wyote] #6425866
01/11/19 09:08 PM
01/11/19 09:08 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,819
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper
ShawneeMan  Offline
trapper

Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,819
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
Originally Posted by wyote
Shawnee
My brother went to that school back in 69

Of all the training I did, that was the best!!
They can say whatever they want about each military branch's Special Ops unit - The U.S. Army Special Forces (Green Berets) are the ones that trained them,
They have my utmost respect.


Shawnee National Forest - We live out here because we're not all there.
http://www.ripcordassociation.com
101 Pathfinder Det / Vietnam 1969 - 1971
Re: Army Rangers question [Re: ShawneeMan] #6425883
01/11/19 09:25 PM
01/11/19 09:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,554
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,554
North East Kansas
Originally Posted by ShawneeMan

Uhhh - not really - just weak minds.
My take away was being able to stalk deer and get close to them - so I guess it all worked out. LOL!!
Today's 75th Infantry is more like the MIKE forces that MACV-SOG used during the war. They are what you might call a heavy duty strike force


Like most good men you are modest. Thanks again.


High Speed/Low Drag...grin
Re: Army Rangers question [Re: Kart29] #6425966
01/11/19 11:00 PM
01/11/19 11:00 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,554
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,554
North East Kansas


High Speed/Low Drag...grin
Re: Army Rangers question [Re: Kart29] #6426363
01/12/19 12:18 PM
01/12/19 12:18 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 258
Southcenrtal Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 258
Southcenrtal Kansas
Learned alot in that video. Thank s Marty.


When The Man Comes Around
Re: Army Rangers question [Re: Kart29] #6426389
01/12/19 12:51 PM
01/12/19 12:51 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,819
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper
ShawneeMan  Offline
trapper

Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,819
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
Gosh - look at all those scary "assault rifles"... LOL!


Shawnee National Forest - We live out here because we're not all there.
http://www.ripcordassociation.com
101 Pathfinder Det / Vietnam 1969 - 1971
Re: Army Rangers question [Re: Marty] #6426390
01/12/19 12:52 PM
01/12/19 12:52 PM
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,819
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper
ShawneeMan  Offline
trapper

Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,819
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
Originally Posted by Marty
Originally Posted by ShawneeMan

Uhhh - not really - just weak minds.
My take away was being able to stalk deer and get close to them - so I guess it all worked out. LOL!!
Today's 75th Infantry is more like the MIKE forces that MACV-SOG used during the war. They are what you might call a heavy duty strike force


Like most good men you are modest. Thanks again.

Thanks Marty - much appreciated!


Shawnee National Forest - We live out here because we're not all there.
http://www.ripcordassociation.com
101 Pathfinder Det / Vietnam 1969 - 1971
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread