Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 40 of 40 1 2 38 39 40
Re: Pipe Dream Set for Coyotes [Re: my243rem] #6426461
01/12/19 06:25 PM
01/12/19 06:25 PM
VA
V
vatrapping87 Offline
trapper
vatrapping87  Offline
trapper
V

VA
Zagman, would you be willing to share with us your method of using wire screen pan covers? Ive had some success with your method but am having a little trouble with having the screen lay flat. Some sets have actually had the screen taken off from the trap without it firing. Thanks in advance!

Re: Pipe Dream Set for Coyotes [Re: my243rem] #6426663
01/12/19 11:25 PM
01/12/19 11:25 PM
Central New York State
Z
Zagman Offline
trapper
Zagman  Offline
trapper
Z

Central New York State
Assuming you are NOT using a Jake trap like I do.......

Before applying steel screen to trap, bend it into a banana shape..........and then put it on the pan with the curved ends UP.....like it was a bowl sitting on the pan.

Not sure of your trap size or model, but now you pull down the upturned ends and click your dog through to the pan, or slip edges around your dogless traps pan under locked-down jaw, or whatever.....and then the other end goes under the loose jaw.

Generally, now the screen should lay flatter on your pan vs. buckling over the pan and have a gap between rounded screen and top of pan......

Steel screen is a pain in the butt......BUT, for this application, I find it necessary. There's a knack to it, but you need to figure it out for your own specific set-up.....

Another great benefit of the Jake trap.....the low pan and jaw rivets make it a DREAM to use steel screen on !

MZ

Eastern Coyotes.......Western Numbers.

Check out Coyote U!

YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/JGwORfXpwOo

www.coyoteu.com

Mark@coyoteu.com
Re: Pipe Dream Set for Coyotes [Re: my243rem] #6426919
01/13/19 03:32 AM
01/13/19 03:32 AM
VA
V
vatrapping87 Offline
trapper
vatrapping87  Offline
trapper
V

VA
I am using Bridger #2 dogless. I have been using aluminum screen doing that method and am still having issues. I ordered some steel and I hope that makes the difference. Thank you for your reply!

Re: Pipe Dream Set for Coyotes [Re: my243rem] #6427085
01/13/19 12:00 PM
01/13/19 12:00 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
For you mid-west guys, farmers here for the most part mow the sides of secondary roads. (County or state does it in NY). Some of this grass is fairly thin stemmed. They mow before every holiday. I find a road side with the type of grass I want to use, wait for a few hot days for it to dry, and go and collect. Store it until the season arrives. While some of the stems are longer, it can be somewhat broken apart right at the set. Seems to work pretty well. I use 40-50lb empty commercial bird seed bags for storage.

Re: Pipe Dream Set for Coyotes [Re: vatrapping87] #6427153
01/13/19 01:56 PM
01/13/19 01:56 PM
West Cent IL
I
illinideer Offline
trapper
illinideer  Offline
trapper
I

West Cent IL
Originally Posted by vatrapping87
I am using Bridger #2 dogless. I have been using aluminum screen doing that method and am still having issues. I ordered some steel and I hope that makes the difference. Thank you for your reply!

I use the same trap and round jaw duke #2 for my pipe sets. What I have been using this season for both is the black nylon window screen from lowes or menards I believe it called pet proof. I also have used alum window screen but I like the black better lays better and blends in better. I have been cutting the notch for the dog or the hinge point on the bridger and putting the screen under the pan and the screen is cut just under the diameter of the inside of the jaws. I use grass from the yard that I rake up and store in big burlap sack that I hand in the shed
I was having trouble with coons messing with the screen with it on top of the pan since doing this it has eliminated a lot of the trouble their usually in the trap if they mess with it now. Everything still blends in just fine with the screen under
With our smaller trap I didnt go with a stiffer screen I was afraid of make trip area bigger, thought they might get on the jaw edge and snap the trap with out being caught. I still guide just a little to encourage them to hit center.
With the black screen I precut everything except for the notch then I take a big stack of them and put them between two pieces of 2 x 6 boards and put that in my bench vice and tighten it up. Let it set overnight it take 90% of the curl out of them.
Justin

Coyote 5
RedFox 2
Coons 31
Bobcat 5 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4
Page 40 of 40 1 2 38 39 40
Previous Thread
Index