Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Coyote suggestions #6425208
01/11/19 09:14 AM
01/11/19 09:14 AM
ks
D
decoys88 Offline OP
trapper
decoys88  Offline OP
trapper
D

ks
I have had traps out for about 10 days. I caught one coyote. I guess my wax or polyfill was contaminated or something. Over the last 5 days they have found every single set and dug or pawed just enough to expose trap. Sometimes it is a jaw. Sometimes it is the pan. Sometimes the dog. The coyotes keep returning again and again to dig at holes or work the set. Always expose the trap and dig more. I re bedded with grass wad replacing poly and fresh dry dirt. Some of these sets have been visited 2 or 3 times in the last week. How would you set to catch these?

Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: decoys88] #6425220
01/11/19 09:26 AM
01/11/19 09:26 AM
New Mexico, USA
K
Koss2005 Offline
trapper
Koss2005  Offline
trapper
K

New Mexico, USA
I'm only a third year trapper but here's my 2 cents worth. Check your traps and make sure there bedded solid, maybe pull them and reset them 20,30 feet away with a different type of set. I've had the same thing happen I finally made a flat set about 40 yards away I took a cow chip and put a small amount of gland lure, nothing else and left it and with in three days I was able to catch my problem yote.

Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: decoys88] #6425407
01/11/19 12:26 PM
01/11/19 12:26 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Put in another trap and blend it in real well. Use your dug up trap for bait. Make sure you new trap is clean and you are too and take very long doing it.

It could also be coons. They never quit because now it's a game. Look for tracks and if it's coons try to head them off.

Last edited by Larry Baer; 01/11/19 06:56 PM.

Just passin through
Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: Larry Baer] #6425422
01/11/19 12:44 PM
01/11/19 12:44 PM
SW Pennsylvania
M
mauser06 Offline
trapper
mauser06  Offline
trapper
M

SW Pennsylvania
I don't have a ton of experience but I agree, coons are the issue...and possibly a bedding issue. They like to dig fresh soft dirt. Ive had them remove traps from the bed, flip them and never fire them lol.

I think I'm going to pick up a half dozen or so dog proofs just for when a problem coon comes along.

I've caught enough fox and coyote in hay sets and trash mounds with traps not bedded by conventional means...I've caught coyotes and fox with traps some guys would NEVER set. I don't know that the odor thing as a big of a deal as we believe it to be.

I know once in a while a smart fox of yote comes along...I've yet to run into them. Every issue I've had was coon or deer.

I do dye and wax my traps now..but that's mostly for their own protection. I think wax also helps lubricate the trap to fire smoothly.

Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: decoys88] #6425778
01/11/19 08:04 PM
01/11/19 08:04 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
Coons and packrats. Dealt with it all season once I started dragging in peat moss.

Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: Larry Baer] #6425798
01/11/19 08:22 PM
01/11/19 08:22 PM
GA
C
canebrake Offline
trapper
canebrake  Offline
trapper
C

GA
Originally Posted by Larry Baer
Put in another trap and blend it in real well. Use your dug up trap for bait. Make sure you new trap is clean and you are too and take very long doing it.

It could also be coons. They never quit because now it's a game. Look for tracks and if it's coons try to head them off.

Couldn't have said it better.

Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: decoys88] #6425879
01/11/19 09:20 PM
01/11/19 09:20 PM
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper
ShawneeMan  Offline
trapper

IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
Don't know if your state allows it - some don't but I'll bed 2 or even 3 traps around the bait / lure.
Caught a nice yote about a week ago using no dirt on my second trap at a set that was being messed with. Had the trap bedded in peat and just used grass clippings over the trap with screen wire painted black protecting the pan.
On dirt holes I like to rough the whole area up and scatter dirt from my sifter all over the place out from my trap beds.

Shawnee National Forest - We live out here because we're not all there.
http://www.ripcordassociation.com
101 Pathfinder Det / Vietnam 1969 - 1971
Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: decoys88] #6425989
01/11/19 11:28 PM
01/11/19 11:28 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I was having same problem a couple of years ago. I was convinced I was bedding them "good enough" because I was starting to catch a few coyotes regularly. I tried new wax, different bedding materials and a few other ideas but once I got good at really "locking " the trap in tight in the trap bed my problem went away. I did have one dug this season but i know without a doubt that it was my fault, i knew I got a little sloppy when i left the set but again thought it was good enough. Catching one that's wise to the game may be a little tough now. I would maybe try a step down type of dirt hole. Or blind set if you can get a bead on a trail they're using regularly. Catching a wise coyote is a lesson in frustration for me. I push on all four corners of jaws and both levers with one finger now before I shift dirt over it and if I can see the slightest wiggle it's not good enough. I almost get a little pride when a coyote works a set now and steps on the jaw but misses the pan and never knew there was a trap waiting under there for it. But then I get upset because I missed him.

Last edited by Yes sir; 01/11/19 11:33 PM.
Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: Yes sir] #6426040
01/12/19 12:19 AM
01/12/19 12:19 AM
NE KS
B
bowhunterks Offline
trapper
bowhunterks  Offline
trapper
B

NE KS
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I was having same problem a couple of years ago. I was convinced I was bedding them "good enough" because I was starting to catch a few coyotes regularly. I tried new wax, different bedding materials and a few other ideas but once I got good at really "locking " the trap in tight in the trap bed my problem went away. I did have one dug this season but i know without a doubt that it was my fault, i knew I got a little sloppy when i left the set but again thought it was good enough. Catching one that's wise to the game may be a little tough now. I would maybe try a step down type of dirt hole. Or blind set if you can get a bead on a trail they're using regularly. Catching a wise coyote is a lesson in frustration for me. I push on all four corners of jaws and both levers with one finger now before I shift dirt over it and if I can see the slightest wiggle it's not good enough. I almost get a little pride when a coyote works a set now and steps on the jaw but misses the pan and never knew there was a trap waiting under there for it. But then I get upset because I missed him.

^^ This ^^

Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: decoys88] #6426419
01/12/19 01:28 PM
01/12/19 01:28 PM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
The time I have a coyote do what the OP stated, is after I had caught a skunk in the set and rebed the trap and had a coyote done what was stated. but I had a trap that was about 20yards away and it was a junk hay bail that the farmer left and had a dirt hole on the edge of it and caught the coyote in it and another one done the same as the first of dig the trap like the last coyote did and then got caught in the same trap 20 yards away. that was the end of them after . Before the coyote got caught in the trap in the bail I had got a coon in it.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: decoys88] #6427861
01/13/19 11:57 PM
01/13/19 11:57 PM
NC
T
Troutman201818 Offline
trapper
Troutman201818  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Go for a more subtle approach of a good flat or hayset, properly bed the trap and change it up with your lure,urine,bait combos at the sets

Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: Troutman201818] #6433498
01/19/19 11:30 AM
01/19/19 11:30 AM
ks
D
decoys88 Offline OP
trapper
decoys88  Offline OP
trapper
D

ks
More questions
Sunday the 6th caught a coyote. For the next 10 days sets were crapped on, holes dug at and traps exposed but never moved. Then Wednesday the 16 caught a cat and a coyote. Both in flat sets that had been uncovered or crapped on. Twice in three weeks we had enough rain fill dirt holes and trap beds. Did the rain wash away contamination? Also I read that coyotes can smell the antifreeze. This was the first time I have ever used flake antifreeze. Was this the issue the whole time and rain washed it away? Thinking of resetting and changing some sets this weekend. Wondering if I should leave the antifreeze flakes at home.

Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: decoys88] #6433512
01/19/19 12:12 PM
01/19/19 12:12 PM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
I was having a problem this season with k-9s.
I know I bed traps solid, fast and natural.
First thought was bad wax, got new wax no change.
I was going batty trying to figure it out.
Last week I left my trapping boots in the truck because of rain.
When I opened the truck door the smell hit me like a hammer.
It was the sweat in my boots coming out the top when I made a set.
Got new boots and I'm back into the fur. Though I'm releasing all fox.
I'm after a very large VERY smart survivalist yote.
Before I get told I don't have to take all those precautions to catch yotes, remember I have low yote population and very high pressure on the few that are around

Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: wetdog] #6433523
01/19/19 12:29 PM
01/19/19 12:29 PM
ks
D
decoys88 Offline OP
trapper
decoys88  Offline OP
trapper
D

ks
That could be my issue as well. In years past I carried and knelt on an old ripped poncho. I did not do that this year. I guess it could also be my problem. Any opinions on flake antifreeze from those that use it. Can coyotes smell it?

Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: decoys88] #6433645
01/19/19 02:27 PM
01/19/19 02:27 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
doubtful its not using a poncho they're coming in working your set make a new set without the trap if you want but its contamination or loose bedding my ho contamination can be many things hanging in a shed or barn mice squirrels and cats climb pee and slobber on everything dogs the same if they're laying on the ground or truck bed gloves or jacket cuffs may have lure or bait smell maybe a little juice drips on your bed. Loose dirt especially in an oversize bed will encourage digging, rooting scratching by any critter use foot guides dirt clumps, sticks, weeds stones whatever AND REMEMBER ITS A TOUGH YEAR GOODLUCK

olden tyred
Re: Coyote suggestions [Re: decoys88] #6433700
01/19/19 03:13 PM
01/19/19 03:13 PM
Bison, South Dakota
D
Dustin_Drews Offline
trapper
Dustin_Drews  Offline
trapper
D

Bison, South Dakota
Larry makes a great suggestion! Using a trap as bait is extremely effective on a true digger. Squirt some urine on it they should alt least come up for a sniff.
Second coon and skunks can be very problematic when it comes to digging up traps.
A lot of times you can get buy with out packing very hard. But when going after a digger a “trappers cap” bedding tool can be very helpful.
I would also recommend power bedding the traps.
Normally Coon and skunks fire the trap and catch themselves when the traps are power bedded. When the are not power bedded the can push them or pull them out of the bed. Cause you to beat your head against your truck.
Here is a video on power bedding. I would not use peat like shown in the video. Use local dirt, power bed the trap, and pack the snot out of with a trappers cap.
It looks like pain to power bed but once you do it a few times I think it’s quicker then the time it takes to pack a trap the old fashioned way.
Post a picture when you catch him!

God Bless

Dustin

You got one shot at life, where are your sites aimed today?
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91