No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cervical Fusion #6428259
01/14/19 02:44 PM
01/14/19 02:44 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline OP
trapper
wkimble1  Offline OP
trapper
W

West Virginia
Got some MRI results back and I've got 2 bulging discs and 1 pretty bad herniation in my neck. Doc seems to think i may need a cervical fusion. Anyone ever have this procedure done? Results?

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428273
01/14/19 03:15 PM
01/14/19 03:15 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Cervical fusion (ACDF) imo, is a archaic procedure that goes completely against the mechanics of the spine. There are other options out there, I suggest strongly at looking in to them. Research as much as possible. ACDF has helped a lot of people, but there are a lot like me where it has failed, it's the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I wish I would have known at the time that there were different options. Of course insurance and Dr's available in your neck of the woods come in to play as well. I wish you well!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: Catch22] #6428276
01/14/19 03:18 PM
01/14/19 03:18 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline OP
trapper
wkimble1  Offline OP
trapper
W

West Virginia
Ugh, thanks for the reply Catch. Ive heard some nightmares. Ive also heard great stories. Im only 33 and extremely physically active so im really apprehensive about all this. Had quite a few big ortho surgeries but this one worries me.

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428287
01/14/19 03:32 PM
01/14/19 03:32 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Back fusion? It's painful for months, my friend has had two fusions now

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428295
01/14/19 03:41 PM
01/14/19 03:41 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
My Mama had a fusion done back in the 80's I believe. When I had mine done I thought it was the same procedure she had. Months after mine we got to talking and I came to realize that she had no plate and screws. With hers, they went in and took out the part of the disc that was causing the stenosis and took a piece of her hip bone to fill the gap between the vertebrae and was a success, to a point. Mine included a plate and screws, which completely inhibits the natural articulation of the spine. This WILL put pressure on the other disc to try to compensate for the loss of movement which imo, will greatly increase the odds for future surgeries, until they have to put in a rod that goes from top to bottom. This is just my experience wkimble1, research for not only other opinions but for other procedures. There are forums and there's youtube and published findings from Dr's out there. More advise is to NOT have any procedure done until you feel comfortable with it. Also, time is of the essence, full on stenosis is nothing to mess with. I hope this helps!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428306
01/14/19 03:55 PM
01/14/19 03:55 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline OP
trapper
wkimble1  Offline OP
trapper
W

West Virginia
Thanks a lot for the info. Im definitely doing quite a bit of research on this.

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428319
01/14/19 04:14 PM
01/14/19 04:14 PM
southeast alaska
T
tree Offline
trapper
tree  Offline
trapper
T

southeast alaska
Had a c spine fusion at 33 yrs. Best move I ever made. Had problems for 10 years or more before that. When they finally got around to giving me a MRI and evaluating it, doctor came into the room and told me to not drive myself home, he has called Seattle and made some arrangements, do nothing until you can get this fixed. I was in pretty rough shape. About 10 years later discs above and below fusion were giving me grief but no need to go under the knife again. I readily embrace the scalpel and drugs. I was back doing things a couple weeks later, I shouldn't have been, but was.

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: tree] #6428340
01/14/19 04:35 PM
01/14/19 04:35 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline OP
trapper
wkimble1  Offline OP
trapper
W

West Virginia
Tree, what kinds of symptoms were you having prior to surgery?

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428353
01/14/19 04:41 PM
01/14/19 04:41 PM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV
Dang, Wes, hope everything works out for you. You been catching any fox back home?

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: Dfabs] #6428355
01/14/19 04:50 PM
01/14/19 04:50 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline OP
trapper
wkimble1  Offline OP
trapper
W

West Virginia
Thanks, Dustin. I haven't caught one single fox this year. This has been the weirdest season that I've ever had. I really think all this rain has everything screwed up. I cant figure it out. You been doing any good/

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428376
01/14/19 05:10 PM
01/14/19 05:10 PM
southeast alaska
T
tree Offline
trapper
tree  Offline
trapper
T

southeast alaska
Aside from severe arm, shoulder, back and neck pain, my affected arm would start spasming. Near the end, my chin was nearly touching my chest, stuck that way. 3 weeks of oxy waiting for the surgery, not a good time. Have had 2 lower back surgeries, a few steroid shots under X-ray, several bouts of opioids with steroids for c-spine and lumbar herniations. Pain so bad on some of those episodes I was ready to eat a bullet. On my last surgery, I had to wait a few weeks, wound up in the emergency room begging to be put on a pump and being treated like a needy junky. After the surgery, which was supposed to take an hour but took 4, the doctor apologized and said something must have happened since my MRI, a piece of disc the size of his pinky had broken off and was pressed up against nerve root. That was a real bad one I'd rather forget. Surgery was such a relief, I stopped drugs cold turkey and went through wicked withdrawal. Had to take a drug cocktail for a couple weeks to ween off.

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428378
01/14/19 05:12 PM
01/14/19 05:12 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Neck and or lower back are 2 different animals. The neck is a lot faster recovery and not as pain ful. DON"T wait do it. They go thru the front most of the time plus you don't have the full weight of your body pushing down is why the neck is so much faster to heal.

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428386
01/14/19 05:27 PM
01/14/19 05:27 PM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV
I’m in the same boat as you. It’s been a really odd season. I didn’t catch a single mink until a week ago. Also, I usually have about 50 coon by now. I’d have to look in the freezer, but I’d say I’m at less than 20 right now, but all are big ones.
I just started seeing some fox tracks on a couple of my farms this week, and the coyotes have been really thin. I caught one up at Coopers the week before rifle season down in the fields behind the archery range, but that new guy is running the forestry department and he shuts the gate on Goodspeeds on Jan. 1. That line was usually good for at least one cat a season. I never thought I would want Driscol back in the forestry dept. He used to leave the gate open for me all season at least.
I caught a coyote on Christmas Day, and a really nice cat the day after New Years, but that part of the line has been dead ever since except for the coyote I missed yesterday.
I caught a nice female fisher last week, then had 2 K9 Extremes stolen today on that farm. I gave the fisher to my trapping partner because he wanted to mount it. We cut another set of fisher tracks last week so he is going to set for it tomorrow and if he catches it and it’s a male, he will mount the male instead and just give the female back to me.
I did catch a 4lb buck mink yesterday so that puts me at 2 mink, and maybe a half dozen rats. I’ve seen a good bit of mink sign the last couple days though, but it was almost non existent before that. I haven’t done any beaver trapping yet because I can’t find any swimming right under the road. Lol That’s about how far I’m willing to carry one right now. I ran into a rabbit hunter today that gave me a guy to talk to that has muskrats in his pond that he wants gone. I’m gonna try to stop and talk to him this week one day. Hopefully everything will pick up soon.

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: jbyrd63] #6428397
01/14/19 05:42 PM
01/14/19 05:42 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Neck and or lower back are 2 different animals. The neck is a lot faster recovery and not as pain ful. DON"T wait do it. They go thru the front most of the time plus you don't have the full weight of your body pushing down is why the neck is so much faster to heal.

Have you had both?

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428501
01/14/19 07:57 PM
01/14/19 07:57 PM
idaho falls idaho
trapr Offline
trapper
trapr  Offline
trapper

idaho falls idaho
First thing to do is get a second opinion from a doctor who is not the same kind as the one you spoke to, if the first is a surgeon then find one who is qualified and is not a surgeon.each wants to do there specialty, surgeons want to cut.others may have a different approach.

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: trapr] #6428696
01/14/19 10:47 PM
01/14/19 10:47 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline OP
trapper
wkimble1  Offline OP
trapper
W

West Virginia
Originally Posted by trapr
First thing to do is get a second opinion from a doctor who is not the same kind as the one you spoke to, if the first is a surgeon then find one who is qualified and is not a surgeon.each wants to do there specialty, surgeons want to cut.others may have a different approach.

Totally agree. Problem is, I haven’t spoken to the surgeon who ordered the mri yet. I have spoken to my father in law who’s is a surgeon, and my brother in law who is a Harvard trained orthopedic surgeon ( who happened to be the patriots surgeon a few years back. Won’t hold that against him though,lol) and they both think it’s going to be a needed surgery. They definitely give me straight answers. I’m just concerned as to if I’ll be able to still do everything I do now if I have the procedure.

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428718
01/14/19 11:09 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by wkimble1
Originally Posted by trapr

Totally agree. Problem is, I haven’t spoken to the surgeon who ordered the mri yet. I have spoken to my father in law who’s is a surgeon, and my brother in law who is a Harvard trained orthopedic surgeon ( who happened to be the patriots surgeon a few years back. Won’t hold that against him though,lol) and they both think it’s going to be a needed surgery. They definitely give me straight answers. I’m just concerned as to if I’ll be able to still do everything I do now if I have the procedure.

LOL the goal is to be able to do more or the same without pain. I know several who have had the neck fusion and are back at normal activity in 3-8 weeks (depends on age and if you smoke). Where the lumbar fusion you are down for at least 5-8 months before any limits are lifted. (have had 2 ) . The problem is where the fusion is performed and the stress on the screws/cage while it is trying to heal.

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: tree] #6428719
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by tree
Had a c spine fusion at 33 yrs. Best move I ever made. Had problems for 10 years or more before that. When they finally got around to giving me a MRI and evaluating it, doctor came into the room and told me to not drive myself home, he has called Seattle and made some arrangements, do nothing until you can get this fixed. I was in pretty rough shape. About 10 years later discs above and below fusion were giving me grief but no need to go under the knife again. I readily embrace the scalpel and drugs. I was back doing things a couple weeks later, I shouldn't have been, but was.

LISTEN TO HIM DO IT !!!!!

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6428853
01/15/19 07:14 AM
01/15/19 07:14 AM
Arizona
O
oldtrapper Offline
trapper
oldtrapper  Offline
trapper
O

Arizona
Best of Luck to you. I have ruptured discs at L4 L5 and S1 and I have refused to get the surgery for years... I went to pain management for 5 years and realized that the pain meds only caused more damage because I couldn't feel what was going on. I finally weaned myself off the pain meds... it was the worst thing I've been through.

Re: Cervical Fusion [Re: wkimble1] #6429248
01/15/19 02:00 PM
01/15/19 02:00 PM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
I've got C4 - C5 - C6 are all fused together I was scared to death about getting it done but the tests milagram's and CT scans and even the MRI's were Greek to me back then after both surgeries I woke up feeling sore but no where near as badly as I had going in. Walking and fly fishing afterwards is strongly advised to heal things up quickly back in those day's 1990 & 1995 I was in the hospital a lot longer than you will be now.
For me jumping on a trampoline is out of the question as is riding on a ferris wheel strange as that sounds I can't even lean on the trampoline when someone is jumping on it ha ha
Someone mentioned that the surgeon removed bone from the hip to fuse a disc, my now exfather in law had that done his hip never really healed up he walked with a limp until he passed away.
They have much better methods now and your nearly considered a out patient you don't have to wear the cervical collar any where as long anymore, a good electric razor is your new best friend while wearing one trust me baby powder helps also as does extra cotton slip on covers for the collar.
You will also learn to turn at your hips instead of turning your neck and driving becomes a challenge for awhile until you get used to your neck being stiff or in my case nearly solid.
If I had to do this all over again I wouldn't of waited and just went in as soon as possible to get rid of the pain and weakness in my left arm hand and fingers. So put your faith in the old boy upstairs and the medical team and get after it I'll bet you'll be glad you did !
Allan

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread