Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Sargent #1 Riveted Square Pan #6428456
01/14/19 06:50 PM
01/14/19 06:50 PM
South Dakota
T
Trapper Pete Offline OP
trapper
Trapper Pete  Offline OP
trapper
T

South Dakota
I just got this Sargent #1 and can not find any information on it. At first glance you think it is just another tin pan. The riveted square pan is exactly the same size as a tin pan #1. It also has a double riveted pan post. Any help or info would be great!

[Linked Image]
Here is a good picture of the double rivet pan post.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The chain looks original as far as I can tell.
[Linked Image]

Re: Sargent #1 Riveted Square Pan [Re: Trapper Pete] #6428609
01/14/19 09:29 PM
01/14/19 09:29 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
good evening Pete. The only thing I can find on the Sargent trap with the square pan is it was made in 1902. Sizes 0 - 4. The only picture I can find of one with a square pan doesn't show that it is riveted. I don't know if that changed through the sizes or not. Information says the pan should be marked Sargent & Co. with no patent date. Chain looks to be correct from what I have found. I am sure there is somebody on here that knows more about these than I do.

Re: Sargent #1 Riveted Square Pan [Re: Trapper Pete] #6429114
01/15/19 11:26 AM
01/15/19 11:26 AM
Missouri
T
trapper48 Offline
trapper
trapper48  Offline
trapper
T

Missouri
Nice find Trapper Pete, your trap is all original, including the chain set up, only thing missing is the wedge which would have been attached to the "s" hook, but that's not unusual or a big deal, IMO. Your trap is the first model square pan, which was the model that replaced the cast pan "Oneida" models, which the pan set up and pan post is basically the only difference in the two models, including the chain set up which was still the B&L style chain, cast swivel and cast wedge, this pan and post were only used for a very short time around 1895, the second model was then changed to the regular square crimped tin pan and the pan post was then changed to the large single rivet base, but still had the solid or bolted rear jaw post, like the cast pan Oneida series and the chain set up was now the small figure 8 wire chain style with the ring attached with a "s" hook. The third and last model of the square pan #1's have the upturned jaw post both front and rear, like a Victor, the crimped tin pan now sat on the single post with the "ears" of the pan on each side of the post. The No.1 is the only size of the square pan series to have the riveted pan. Your trap has the small figure 8 wire chain and tin type clevis, which is all original too.
I'll try and get some pictures of the 3 models posted a little later

Re: Sargent #1 Riveted Square Pan [Re: Trapper Pete] #6429239
01/15/19 01:47 PM
01/15/19 01:47 PM
South Dakota
T
Trapper Pete Offline OP
trapper
Trapper Pete  Offline OP
trapper
T

South Dakota
Thanks trapper48! Your post is full of good information. Thanks Jeff for your reply also....will see you in Detroit Lakes.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector