No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: AntiGov] #6429687
01/15/19 09:31 PM
01/15/19 09:31 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
It's hard to attack public education without teachers feeling like they are the ones being singled out for attack.

I believe the institution itself was corrupted long ago.

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: atrapper] #6429692
01/15/19 09:34 PM
01/15/19 09:34 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by atrapper
Dirt, I wish more parents cared enough to actually consider doing this. It would be a huge step in showing their child that they come before themselves and that education is important.

I'm trying to make it lucrative. One of mine was ADHD. It was a struggle educating that one.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: AntiGov] #6429714
01/15/19 09:46 PM
01/15/19 09:46 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
I hear ya Posco. Constructive criticism is important in all facets of life, it's what makes improvements. As a teacher myself I try hard to not take things personally and to be able to use others opinions, perspectives, and criticisms to improve how I affect students. It's your taxes that are paying me so I sure as heck better be able to take what the public is saying and use it to give me direction in the classroom. But when you spend more time with some of these kids in the classroom than you do with your own kids and put your blood, sweat, and tears literally into their education, it's hard not to take some comments personal.

Dirt, my brother is ADHD. He's probably the reason I became a teacher. You know as well as any the dedication and patience it takes to bring a special needs student up the right way. Doesn't matter if it's home schooled or public education, it takes an angel of a parent to do these children justice. These kids absolutely are as and in many cases more talented than "normal" students, it's just that their avenue to understanding and delivery is unique.

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: AntiGov] #6429731
01/15/19 09:57 PM
01/15/19 09:57 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
My wife started out her working career as a public school teacher. Being fresh out of college, she found herself too close in age to those she was teaching and bailed on the profession.

Education became politicized somewhere along the line and it was used as a vehicle for political/ideological advancement. Unfortunately and from my point of view, it is dominated by liberals. That's why you see so many conservatives lashing out at it in the age of Trump.

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: AntiGov] #6429743
01/15/19 10:10 PM
01/15/19 10:10 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
No offense Posco but I'm assuming that you're a few years older than me. I'm 33. I see what you're saying. Education is dominated by liberals. My wife is a teacher too and she makes me look awfully conservative. I can only speak from my years on this earth and experiences in those years. I go to work and try to do my best to give my students what they need to success in life. I guess I'm still young and naive enough to think that our education system is working for our students and not a political party. At least I hope that's the truth. And if it isn't, then at this point I guess my best efforts are spent making change in those students that I teach directly in my classroom every day. And for those that don't like the way our public education system is moving, they should get into education and put their fingerprint on the future. If it's too late to cross the political isle and shake hands on a proper education system, maybe we need a grassroots effort to make thing right?

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: atrapper] #6429745
01/15/19 10:15 PM
01/15/19 10:15 PM
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

IA
I don't think there is a political agenda so much in K through 12 education. In collage that might be a different story.

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: AntiGov] #6429747
01/15/19 10:24 PM
01/15/19 10:24 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
It would appear the NEA is not in our corner there atrapper. frown

"The National Education Association believes that home schooling programs based on parental choice cannot provide the student with a comprehensive education experience. When home schooling occurs, students enrolled must meet all state curricular requirements, including the taking and passing of assessments to ensure adequate academic progress. Home schooling should be limited to the children of the immediate family, with all expenses being borne by the parents/guardians. Instruction should be by persons who are licensed by the appropriate state education licensure agency, and a curriculum approved by the state department of education should be used.
The Association also believes that home-schooled students should not participate in any extracurricular activities in the public schools.
The Association further believes that local public school systems should have the authority to determine grade placement and/or credits earned toward graduation for students entering or re-entering the public school setting from a home school setting"

Who is John Galt?
Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: teepee2] #6429751
01/15/19 10:28 PM
01/15/19 10:28 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by teepee2
I don't think there is a political agenda so much in K through 12 education. In collage that might be a different story.

"Google" the name John Dewey, that's where the slide began. Undermining traditional American values starts in preschool.

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: atrapper] #6429754
01/15/19 10:34 PM
01/15/19 10:34 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
In my school district in rural southeast PA the teachers do a pretty good job of educating our children. They make a decent wage and have better perks than most private sector jobs but I don't begrudge the that. My problem is with the powerful state teachers union and their ownership of our elected state officials. It has resulted in insanely high school property taxes in my area.

The game here is to hire an administrative superintendent with a track record of unnecessary spending. Ours was hired for a six-figure salary (in a fairly rural district). He lied to us about an approaching "population bubble" and used it as an excuse to ram a new, unneeded, $34,000,000.00 (thirty-four million) high school down our throats. The population bubble never materialized. The old high school now houses the middle school students but the entire upper floor is empty.

He also created an athletic director position (we don't even have a football team) and later an assistant athletic director position. Those two positions cost the district over $100,000.00 annually.

He stuck another feather in his cap and moved on to some other district where I'm sure he commanded an even higher salary to screw the local citizenry.

He left us with the highest school taxes in the County. An average 2,000-2,500 sq.ft new home will run the unlucky owners $9,000.00-$12,000.00 in annual school real estate taxes.

Eh...wot?

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: teepee2] #6429783
01/15/19 11:09 PM
01/15/19 11:09 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio

There is plenty. It doesnt take much digging to find it.

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: teepee2] #6429802
01/15/19 11:37 PM
01/15/19 11:37 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.

There are numerous liberal agendas, brain washed into K through 12, in many public schools.

Children are frequently taught to fear and hate firearms. Even pointing your finger like a gun and saying bang is grounds for punishment in some schools. Bringing toy guns to school is often grounds for suspension and expulsion. Teachers, police officers stationed in schools and school nurses have been asking children about firearms their parents own.

Little boys are severely punished for kissing little girls in some liberal schools now. Children are forbidden to hug and hold hands. Boys are taught that they are the cause of many of the world's problems.

Children are taught in many liberal, public schools that homosexuality, cross dressing, bisexualism and transgenderism are normal and to be accepted and even flaunted. Some liberal, public schools, as someone posted on here a few months ago, actually have drag queens come to schools, dress young children up, read them stories about their lifestyle and then the children perform in drag shows.

Many liberal public, grade schools have a strong anti-white curriculum. They teach false history, like that Egyptians were negroids. They teach that Native Americans were pacifists. They teach that whites are the cause of most of what is wrong with the world.

Some liberal public grade schools teach that Islam and other non-Christian religions are better than Christianity. They make children learn and recite passages from the Quaran.

Liberal grade schools frequently don't let sports teams keep score. They won't say who won. They give participation awards.

Keith

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: AntiGov] #6429826
01/16/19 12:00 AM
01/16/19 12:00 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Even if you homeschool, your educational material and curriculums will have left wing crazy ideas, animal wacko crap, environmental nut job stuff, historical rewrites, etc. Those people have pretty good control of the textbook industry.

frown

Last edited by Dirt; 01/16/19 12:02 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: Dirt] #6429829
01/16/19 12:03 AM
01/16/19 12:03 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Dirt
Even if you homeschool, your educational material and curriculums will have left wing crazy ideas, animal wacko crap, environmental nut job stuff, historical rewrites, etc. Those people have pretty good control of the textbook industry.

frown

Agreed but at least with home school, you have a chance.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: teepee2] #6429841
01/16/19 12:20 AM
01/16/19 12:20 AM

B
bleeohio
Unregistered
bleeohio
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted by bleeohio
Answer= homeschooling. The only way to know what your children are learning. Although some states are trying to not allow homeschooling, wonder why that is?

How is that gong to help when the home is the problem in the first place. I know when I was a kid if I got in trouble at school I was in trouble at home no questions asked period. I have a daughter-in-law that is a teacher, junior high. A girl in one of her classes called her a b---- preceded with a agitative. Off to the office she goes. When the girls mother is told what her daughter said, the mothers remark was she probably derserved it. There is only one way to correct that kind of behavior and it has to be a home, and in most of the behavior problems that is not going to happen.

Teepee, I can't argue with your point, I agree. In my opinion the problem homes are the ones that look at public schools as a babysitter for five days a week.

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: Dirt] #6429853
01/16/19 12:30 AM
01/16/19 12:30 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Dirt, I wish more parents cared enough to actually consider doing this. It would be a huge step in showing their child that they come before themselves and that education is important.

I'm trying to make it lucrative. One of mine was ADHD. It was a struggle educating that one.

I did it. It takes commitment and a lot of time. But I found that a lot of the elementary things can be taught on the actual trapline. Also, living in the woods gives enormous opportunities for science projects .....things that no school setting would have the time to do. Not only can kids get the "book learning" but in many instances they can apply that learning in hands-on projects that are required in that environment

Mean As Nails
Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: atrapper] #6429864
01/16/19 12:44 AM
01/16/19 12:44 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
No offense Posco but I'm assuming that you're a few years older than me. I'm 33. I see what you're saying. Education is dominated by liberals.

It was more than forty years ago when my sophomore Social Studies teacher suggested the US Constitution was a "living, breathing document". That's how he phrased it, verbatim. I wasn't much of a political animal at that point in my life but my gut instinct was to challenge him and his ideas. That's just what I did.

I developed an acute eye and ear for parsing liberal jargon early on.

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: white17] #6429902
01/16/19 03:38 AM
01/16/19 03:38 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by white17

I did it. It takes commitment and a lot of time. But I found that a lot of the elementary things can be taught on the actual trapline. Also, living in the woods gives enormous opportunities for science projects .....things that no school setting would have the time to do. Not only can kids get the "book learning" but in many instances they can apply that learning in hands-on projects that are required in that environment

During Leonardo di Vinci's youth that's how he gained most of his knowledge.

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: Pike River] #6429968
01/16/19 07:14 AM
01/16/19 07:14 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by white17

During Leonardo di Vinci's youth that's how he gained most of his knowledge.

He was dong ride-alongs with White during that time.

Eh...wot?

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: Dirt] #6429976
01/16/19 07:39 AM
01/16/19 07:39 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
I remember when I was getting school vouchers for 1/3 of what was spent on publicly educated children. The great part was how elitist I felt. crazy

P.S. we didn't spend a half of the third.

And it doesn't show at all.

Re: Teachers fighting for students [Re: AntiGov] #6429997
01/16/19 08:11 AM
01/16/19 08:11 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
You got kids that can't even get a bowl of cereal at home and you want them to get motivation.

-Goofy-
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread