No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430106
01/16/19 10:28 AM
01/16/19 10:28 AM
NC
C
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper
Carolina Foxer  Offline
trapper
C

NC
The gist that I got from the ad was to generally not be an A-Hole. Why is it upsetting everyone? I don't think being a soldier or a firefighter or what not is the toxic masculinity they are referring to anyways.

Also kind of funny that a demographic who's complaint for years has been "everyone gets too offended to easily", is so offended and butt hurt over a tv commercial.

Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430107
01/16/19 10:29 AM
Buggs Island, Va
lonewolf308 Offline
trapper
lonewolf308  Offline
trapper

Buggs Island, Va

I use a safety razor which uses old school razor blades. It's a Merkur cost about $30 and a years worth of blades is like $15. Cheap, doesn't clog, and shaves better. As far as the castrating of the American man it's coming the only thing to do is be strong and teach the young the easy way is the wrong path to take.

VTA member
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: Law Dog] #6430108
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Law Dog
The people that make this kind of stuff up have never been tested in real life, like many things today problems are projected on everyone not the people doing the bad acts. I see a commercial on TV and I look at the wife and say how did I get a white woman! LOL I think people are offended more about the way things are being over sold and now if your traditional your a freak.

I have no problem with the lifestyles they show just they are vastly overselling it to be the more sensitive company to beat another's to it.

Yep. Virtue signaling.

They don't really care. But they think they can drum up some more business by advertising how "aware" or "woke" they are. Then the sheep can pat themselves on the back for supporting a company that's so "conscientious."

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430111
01/16/19 10:32 AM
01/16/19 10:32 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
The problem is not the message it the disproportion of the way they are selling it.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: Carolina Foxer] #6430114
01/16/19 10:33 AM
01/16/19 10:33 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Carolina Foxer
The gist that I got from the ad was to generally not be an A-Hole. Why is it upsetting everyone?

Because it portrays straight white guys as bullies and sexist pigs?

Eh...wot?

Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430126
01/16/19 10:59 AM
01/16/19 10:59 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by tjm
Huh?
I don't get it? what did it say that arouses concern? actually what did it say at all?

Did you watch it? They're saying if you let your kids get into fights, call a lady sweetie, goose your wife's butt, etc... that you're toxic. They want you to "shave away" your toxic masculinity and become a nice little girly man that hugs coyotes and eats tofu.

Hmm, the CC must not have been working right; just many clips of kids being kids- almost dizzying jumps from one clip to the next, but the mirror shots could raise questions about their gender identity, I guess.
No TV so didn't see it air.

Had to look "tofu" up. Made from soy and people actually eat it?

Last edited by tjm; 01/16/19 11:12 AM.
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: Cathouse Jim] #6430129
01/16/19 11:08 AM
01/16/19 11:08 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted by Cathouse Jim
The video has had 7.3 M views, 160 K thumbs up - 483K thumbs down. Their add has not gotten the response they were mining for.

Maybe they got exactly what they were mining for.

Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430166
01/16/19 12:05 PM
01/16/19 12:05 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
This article pretty much sums up my feelings:

The makers of the Gillette razor have a message for the men who use their products: you are horrible, horrible people.

Proctor & Gamble released a two-minute commercial that accuses men of being incubators of sexual harassment and bullying and toxic masculinity.

“Is this the best a man can get? Is it? We can’t hide from it. It has been going on far too long. We can’t laugh it off, making the same old excuses,” a narrator declares.

The ad condemns the phrase “boys will be boys” and then proceeds to show guys chasing around women, engaging in bullying and basically acting like every anti-male stereotype you’ve ever seen.

“This is an important conversation happening, and as a company that encourages men to be their best, we feel compelled to both address it and take action of our own,” Proctor & Gamble’s Pankaj Bhalla told the Wall Street Journal. “We are taking a realistic look at what’s happening today, and aiming to inspire change by acknowledging that the old saying ‘Boys Will Be Boys’ is not an excuse.”

Instead of virtue signaling, I was sort of hoping Gillette would declare war on razor burn, but whatever.

Gillette wants all of us guys to hold each other accountable for our behavior - and they have dedicated themselves to promoting positive, attainable, and inclusive versions of what it means to be a man.

And therein lies the issue – what constitutes the ideal version of a man over at Proctor & Gamble headquarters? John Wayne or Pajama Boy?

There’s no doubt that men who bully and sexually harass women need to be – and must be - called out. But society wants us to believe that masculinity breeds such behavior - that inside the heart of every man is a bully and a boor.

There is literally a war on masculinity in America. It’s being waged in classrooms where professors are trying to convince a new generation of students that there’s something wrong with men who want to protect and provide for their families.

They want you to believe little boys who climb trees and tussle on the playground should be medicated. They believe there’s something evil about letting boys be boys.

My friend, the conservative commentator Allie Stucky, addressed this issue in a powerful “Prager University” segment.

“The growing problem in today’s society isn’t that men are too masculine; it’s that they’re not masculine enough,” she said. “When men embrace their masculinity in a way that is healthy and productive, they are leaders, warriors and heroes. When they deny their masculinity, they run away from responsibilities, leaving destruction and despair in their wake.”

In other words, men behaving badly is not a chromosome issue, it’s an issue of the heart.

“Here’s a secret that every woman knows: Women want real men—men they can count on and, yes, look up to. No amount of feminist theory will change that,” Stuckey said. “I don’t know any woman, at any age, who is attracted to a passive man who looks to her to be his provider, protector and leader. Every woman I know wants a strong, responsible man. That’s not a consequence of a social construct or cultural pressure—it’s innate.”

And that’s what bothers me the most about the Gillette commercial. It's an incredibly unfair stretch to lump all men into the hashtag “me too” basket.

Most of the guys I know are gentlemen - they provide for their families, they protect their loved ones and they stand up to the bullies. They’ve been doing what men have done since the days of Adam.

Enough with the gender shaming, Gillette. Before too long, they’ll be telling us to shave our legs.

When things are Grim, become the Grim Reaper!
Fred Moyer
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430240
01/16/19 01:25 PM
01/16/19 01:25 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Blah, blah, blah, where does it lump all men into one category? That might be how you perceive it, but that's not the message. For the last couple decades the entertainment industry has shown men as drunken idiots who chase women and act stupid. And suddenly we have back lash against men being dirtbags and acting like drunken teenagers, and some men seem to be going: "What? But I thought that was what being a man was."

No, being a man is actually being strong enough to have honor, treat people with respect and stand up for the victim. It's a message that is long over due. The irony is, what was considered old fashioned is suddenly hip. Yes, it's being capitalized on, but it's not that the message that is wrong.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430245
01/16/19 01:31 PM
01/16/19 01:31 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
If you honestly believe THAT is the message that Gillette is sending....getting back to old fashion morals, you are completely blind to what is going on.

Last edited by Machias; 01/16/19 01:31 PM.

When things are Grim, become the Grim Reaper!
Fred Moyer
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430251
01/16/19 01:36 PM
01/16/19 01:36 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
The ones that were doing it the most are the ones blaming others and are still doing it today! Lumping all men into a pile rather then dealing with the problem ones is hard to swallow. The same people shaming all men are some of the ones that said nothing for years until it became vogue to do so, then it became a weapon.

Never liked bullies and abusers but don't throw me in with them because I'm another man nothing like them, I'm NOT is the point most are trying to make here I believe. Just go and say all Black men are one thing or another and see how the same people react to the same statement heads would explode but is it really any different?

Jerry Herbst
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: Machias] #6430258
01/16/19 01:46 PM
01/16/19 01:46 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Machias
This article pretty much sums up my feelings:

The makers of the Gillette razor have a message for the men who use their products: you are horrible, horrible people.

Proctor & Gamble released a two-minute commercial that accuses men of being incubators of sexual harassment and bullying and toxic masculinity.

“Is this the best a man can get? Is it? We can’t hide from it. It has been going on far too long. We can’t laugh it off, making the same old excuses,” a narrator declares.

The ad condemns the phrase “boys will be boys” and then proceeds to show guys chasing around women, engaging in bullying and basically acting like every anti-male stereotype you’ve ever seen.

“This is an important conversation happening, and as a company that encourages men to be their best, we feel compelled to both address it and take action of our own,” Proctor & Gamble’s Pankaj Bhalla told the Wall Street Journal. “We are taking a realistic look at what’s happening today, and aiming to inspire change by acknowledging that the old saying ‘Boys Will Be Boys’ is not an excuse.”

Instead of virtue signaling, I was sort of hoping Gillette would declare war on razor burn, but whatever.

Gillette wants all of us guys to hold each other accountable for our behavior - and they have dedicated themselves to promoting positive, attainable, and inclusive versions of what it means to be a man.

And therein lies the issue – what constitutes the ideal version of a man over at Proctor & Gamble headquarters? John Wayne or Pajama Boy?

There’s no doubt that men who bully and sexually harass women need to be – and must be - called out. But society wants us to believe that masculinity breeds such behavior - that inside the heart of every man is a bully and a boor.

There is literally a war on masculinity in America. It’s being waged in classrooms where professors are trying to convince a new generation of students that there’s something wrong with men who want to protect and provide for their families.

They want you to believe little boys who climb trees and tussle on the playground should be medicated. They believe there’s something evil about letting boys be boys.

My friend, the conservative commentator Allie Stucky, addressed this issue in a powerful “Prager University” segment.

“The growing problem in today’s society isn’t that men are too masculine; it’s that they’re not masculine enough,” she said. “When men embrace their masculinity in a way that is healthy and productive, they are leaders, warriors and heroes. When they deny their masculinity, they run away from responsibilities, leaving destruction and despair in their wake.”

In other words, men behaving badly is not a chromosome issue, it’s an issue of the heart.

“Here’s a secret that every woman knows: Women want real men—men they can count on and, yes, look up to. No amount of feminist theory will change that,” Stuckey said. “I don’t know any woman, at any age, who is attracted to a passive man who looks to her to be his provider, protector and leader. Every woman I know wants a strong, responsible man. That’s not a consequence of a social construct or cultural pressure—it’s innate.”

And that’s what bothers me the most about the Gillette commercial. It's an incredibly unfair stretch to lump all men into the hashtag “me too” basket.

Most of the guys I know are gentlemen - they provide for their families, they protect their loved ones and they stand up to the bullies. They’ve been doing what men have done since the days of Adam.

Enough with the gender shaming, Gillette. Before too long, they’ll be telling us to shave our legs.

Nailed it! (oops, can I say that, was that offensive) grin

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430259
01/16/19 01:47 PM
01/16/19 01:47 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
"That might be how you perceive it, but that's not the message."

If that is the way most people perceive it then that is the message.

Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430265
01/16/19 01:54 PM
01/16/19 01:54 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Some people have yet to overcome the trauma the PC manipulation of the last 20 years and are afraid to speak their minds today freely. I see Kevin Hart got the boot from the Oscars for homophobic joke from 20 years ago, PC has become a weapon today to control the narrative.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430268
01/16/19 01:57 PM
01/16/19 01:57 PM
Wisconsin, USA
Traps R Us Offline
trapper
Traps R Us  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin, USA
obviously the ad is working, just look at the number of comments in this forum. It is getting attention, which is the goal of advertising.
just like Nike with Kaepernick, everyone is talking about this ad!
For my opinion, I think I am going to grow a beard!

Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430271
01/16/19 02:01 PM
01/16/19 02:01 PM
Saskatchewan
S
Saskquatch Offline
trapper
Saskquatch  Offline
trapper
S

Saskatchewan
Not sure what the message was supposed to be, but I have now an uncontrollable urge to slap the wife on the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and go full WWF with the kids when they get home.

Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: yotetrapper30] #6430275
01/16/19 02:04 PM
01/16/19 02:04 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
I just turned a couple Marten fur out. Nice dark ones.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: Traps R Us] #6430291
01/16/19 02:15 PM
01/16/19 02:15 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by Traps R Us
obviously the ad is working, just look at the number of comments in this forum. It is getting attention, which is the goal of advertising.
just like Nike with Kaepernick, everyone is talking about this ad!
For my opinion, I think I am going to grow a beard!

Not always I did not care what razor I used a few days ago but I do now, I hope the next story on the news is how busy dollar shave has become! LOL

Jerry Herbst
Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: Law Dog] #6430297
01/16/19 02:19 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Some people have yet to overcome the trauma the PC manipulation of the last 20 years and are afraid to speak their minds today freely. I see Kevin Hart got the boot from the Oscars for homophobic joke from 20 years ago, PC has become a weapon today to control the narrative.

But there is finally some pushback to it. People have been weary of it for a long time and then Trump came along and exposed the divide.

Re: Gillette Commercial [Re: Saskquatch] #6430299
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Saskquatch
Not sure what the message was supposed to be, but I have now an uncontrollable urge to slap the wife on the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and go full WWF with the kids when they get home.

LOL!

Keith

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread