No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: Yes sir] #6431136
01/17/19 08:46 AM
01/17/19 08:46 AM
South MS
dublelung Offline
trapper
dublelung  Offline
trapper

South MS
Originally Posted by Yes sir
So if it is 60/40 it's a red wolf? Then if it mates back with a wolf or coyote is it a hybrid red wolf?

That's right. Just like when Obama who is 50% white and 50% black was elected president he was the first African American president of the U.S. wink

Things are twisted and contorted by the media to become whatever they want them to become. We the sheeple are just supposed to be dumbed down enough to go along with it.

Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: tdtrapper] #6431420
01/17/19 11:45 AM
01/17/19 11:45 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

So a "biologist" looked at a picture and confirmed that it was a red wolf. Hmm, I would question his credentials. Even if there is such a thing as a "red wolf" the only way to really confirm it would be by genetic analysis.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: tdtrapper] #6431450
01/17/19 12:09 PM
01/17/19 12:09 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Its the same as any "pure breed dog". They are all a mix of something. There was selective breeding to get the traits wanted, which is where the breed stopped. Every organism on earth has a % of this and a % of that, even us humans. I'm white, but if you look through my genetic profile, I'm a % this, a % that. Doesn't mean I'm any less a while male. A red wolf holds genetics of a wolf and a coyote, with no other genetic mix in there. This interbreeding happened so long ago that a new breed of k9 was eventually able to breed with their own kind and create what we would call a "pure breed". They have qualities of both a wolf and a coyote. And why wouldn't a biologist be able to look at a picture and determine what the animal is? You look at a wolf and say its a wolf. You look at a coyote ans say its a coyote. And I'm sure the guesses are very accurate. Same with a trained biologist. They know what a red wolf is. Know what characteristics to look for. Not rocket science.

Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: tdtrapper] #6431482
01/17/19 12:32 PM
01/17/19 12:32 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^
I think that line of thought may be a little out of date regarding "red-wolves", or at the very least in question at the present time. New genetic research into the issue is causing many biologists to rethink positions that were held to be fact in the recent past.

Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: waggler] #6431487
01/17/19 12:35 PM
01/17/19 12:35 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^
I think that line of thought may be a little out of date regarding "red-wolves", or at the very least in question at the present time. New genetic research into the issue is causing many biologists to rethink positions that were held to be fact in the recent past.

How so, waggler? Not being smart, I'm actually interested. Ive always been very into genetics and currently work in medical research and genetics is the new up and coming key to unlocking the potential for many treatments of historically untreatable diseases.

Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: tdtrapper] #6431492
01/17/19 12:36 PM
01/17/19 12:36 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

It looks like there may be a change in the red wolf status from a separate species, to simply a hybrid.

Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: tdtrapper] #6431501
01/17/19 12:44 PM
01/17/19 12:44 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Right, but that would be because of current interbreeding. Not meaning that a Red Wolf was never its own species. There is brand new DNA evidence showing that there are Red Wolves currently alive. The reason species tend to breed with other species is because of low breeding population. They either breed with something, or die off completely. They have actually recently extracted Red Wolf DNA from coyotes proving this theory. In order for that to happen, there has to be some breeding Red Wolves alive.

Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: waggler] #6431502
01/17/19 12:46 PM
01/17/19 12:46 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
It looks like there may be a change in the red wolf status from a separate species, to simply a hybrid.

They've been talking about that for several years, I doubt it changes for save-faceism.

Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: tdtrapper] #6431512
01/17/19 01:00 PM
01/17/19 01:00 PM
Moreauville, Louisiana
T
tdtrapper Offline OP
trapper
tdtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
T

Moreauville, Louisiana
The guy my wife got the picture from said when the biologist came out to his deer camp to look at the picture he told him they thought there were 3 maybe 4 on or near that property. How they would know that I don't know. He did tell the guy they were trying to catch them and put a tracking system on them. I found this to be very interesting. I trap alot. I have caught 3 black coyotes. But I have never saw an animal that looks like that one in the picture. Cross , hybrid, pure breed I don't know. But I have caught enough coyotes to know that's not a coyote.

Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: tdtrapper] #6431515
01/17/19 01:03 PM
01/17/19 01:03 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

The act of creating species out of hybrids, and due to minor morphological variations within a species should be of concern to us Trapper's.

Such actions are used by and antis and other people with a particular agenda. The same thing is happening in Alaska with wolves, the antis and others have been trying to create what they call the "Alexander archipelago wolf". Thankfully new genetic research is causing them some difficulty with this attempt.

Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: waggler] #6431521
01/17/19 01:10 PM
01/17/19 01:10 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
The act of creating species out of hybrids, and due to minor morphological variations within a species should be of concern to us Trapper's.

Such actions are used by and antis and other people with a particular agenda. The same thing is happening in Alaska with wolves, the antis and others have been trying to create what they call the "Alexander archipelago wolf". Thankfully new genetic research is causing them some difficulty with this attempt.

Exactly right !

Fortunately one of our TMAN members shot some giant holes in that movement.

I'm the furthest thing from a geneticist but just because Red Wolf DNA was extracted from a live individual critter, doesn't necessarily mean that there are live pure bred red wolves running around today.

Mean As Nails
Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: white17] #6431580
01/17/19 02:00 PM
01/17/19 02:00 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Originally Posted by white17

Exactly right !

Fortunately one of our TMAN members shot some giant holes in that movement.

I'm the furthest thing from a geneticist but just because Red Wolf DNA was extracted from a live individual critter, doesn't necessarily mean that there are live pure bred red wolves running around today.

Absolutely agree. For a new species to be recognized, there should be 100's if not 1,000's of years of evolution of the genetic variation to even out before we should even consider naming something as a new species.

Re: Mississippi red wolf [Re: wkimble1] #6432011
01/17/19 09:54 PM
01/17/19 09:54 PM
NE North Carolina
V
varmintshooter Offline
trapper
varmintshooter  Offline
trapper
V

NE North Carolina
According to new research, the Red and Mexican wolfs are both wolf / coyote mixes. Both from DNA not being a species but a breed and not covered by the Endangered Species Act.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread