No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Anybody heard wha the auction houses coon basis is #6451349
02/04/19 10:53 PM
02/04/19 10:53 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
...?

So, we're less than a month out from NAFA's first sale, just wondering if anyone has heard what their's or FHA's coon basis is starting at? If I understand "basis", please correct me if I'm wrong, its the general price that the folks at the auction houses think the best skins will generally bring and then the prices work down from there depending on region, size, color, overall condition, etc (probably have those out of order of importance but you get my drift). Because there are lot more 4x coons than 5x or 6x and lot more general lots than just "top lot", perhaps (just my example/guess) a Western Northern 4xl Sel 1-2 would be the top of the basis at $25 and things would go down scale from there. I may be way off base but let's start the discussion.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Anybody heard wha the auction houses coon basis is [Re: NonPCfed] #6451369
02/04/19 11:11 PM
02/04/19 11:11 PM
Iowa
M
mink99 Offline
trapper
mink99  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
Hard to know the auction basis before it starts. Though I did hear that FHA should be into the $30’s. My basis last year was $26 on my coon. What I am hearing is some buyers are only at a $25 basis on finished coon. To me it is just too cheap to sell in the country at this time.

ITA, NTA, FTA
Re: Anybody heard wha the auction houses coon basis is [Re: NonPCfed] #6451587
02/05/19 09:32 AM
02/05/19 09:32 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
ttt

Thanks mink99!

I thought there would be some interest and way more educated ideas than mine on the shaping up of the price structure for coon at the big auction houses.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Re: Anybody heard wha the auction houses coon basis is [Re: NonPCfed] #6451604
02/05/19 09:56 AM
02/05/19 09:56 AM
Nebraska
Poorcoon Offline
trapper
Poorcoon  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I can't see any reason why a 4XL 1 - 2 Western Northern raccoon wouldn't bring at least $30!? And I'll give you another uneducated opinion on that. I'll say they're going to bring $35. Well, if, with your coyote that much higher. And they say they're going to use Coon fur trim replacement 4 coyote trim to some degree. I don't know why they wouldn't be. But in no way shape or form would I gamble on that. grin

Last edited by Poorcoon; 02/05/19 10:25 AM. Reason: Add an opinion

"Nothing I like to do pays well." True Grit

"Revenge is in the hands of God, not mine." Revenant.
Re: Anybody heard wha the auction houses coon basis is [Re: NonPCfed] #6451611
02/05/19 10:04 AM
02/05/19 10:04 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Are you asking about valuation?

Re: Anybody heard wha the auction houses coon basis is [Re: NonPCfed] #6451634
02/05/19 10:30 AM
02/05/19 10:30 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
Are you asking about valuation?

If that's what you call a price structure from the typical best (not necessarily top lot) hide and then on down. A couple of years ago NAFA actually gave it before I think the first auction. I would think the country buyers who sell through the auction houses have been talking with those folks and sort of know what stuff should bring--not a guarantee--but a pretty good estimate of the range. Otherwise, they are buying strictly on speculation and what the market was last year.

Thanks for the extra comments, have to go to work now. Later.

Re: Anybody heard wha the auction houses coon basis is [Re: NonPCfed] #6451695
02/05/19 12:07 PM
02/05/19 12:07 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
There are buyers out there that are privilege to these pre auction evaluations. But I see no reason on earth that those evaluations would come close to what they pay In the country. Lets say a dealer was privileged to prices on 3XL I-II type coon and that evaluation was $18.00 I'm betting that country buyer would be trying to buy those coon for about $8.00 to $11.00.
Then of coarse pre auction evaluations don't mean squat. It's what that buyer Is willing to pay. Pre evaluations are just a starting point for the auctioneer.
I hope this coon market has some sign of life because I'd like to get out there and catch some.

Good luck to those that have coon to sell.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Anybody heard wha the auction houses coon basis is [Re: The Beav] #6451748
02/05/19 01:16 PM
02/05/19 01:16 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted by The Beav

I hope this coon market has some sign of life because I'd like to get out there and catch some.

Beav,

I thought you up and sold out of all your coon gear a couple of years ago when the coon market went south ?

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Anybody heard wha the auction houses coon basis is [Re: NonPCfed] #6463258
02/16/19 12:17 PM
02/16/19 12:17 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
I posted this a couple of weeks ago. I thought there would be more interest and discussion but I guess not. We've seen more guys in good coon regions selling to GFW recently and getting decent finished coon prices. My follow up question is this, because GFW is so big of a buyer and have their own foreign connections, is their coon basis generally independent than say NAFA's and FHA's OR because coon fur is still a commodity that rises and falls, GFW basis has to be fairly close or ends up being failry close to the auction houses? We've heard that GFW has paid $25 for their top end, which I would think would be something like Western Northern 4xl Sel 1-2.

I guess all my wondering will over in a few weeks after the first NAFA sale. Off to some antique malls today.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread