No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D-Day the beach scene #6462565
02/15/19 08:42 PM
02/15/19 08:42 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
The beach scene from "Saving private Ryan". Now I know some on here dislike this movie because the story line is unrealistic. To that I say, to each his own. However, you cannot deny or fault the awesome cinematography or historical accuracy of this scene from the movie. I am not a big Tom Hanks or Spielberg fan because of their leftist views but I will give credit where credit is due. This, in my opinion, is perhaps the greatest reconstruction of a battle, the most realistic and best filmed ever. WWII vets that had to walk out of the movie I assume would agree. I'm sure most everyone on this site has seen this movie. That is not the point. This 20 minute clip should be shown in every grade and high school in America. Every year it should be a requirement. It never will be but perhaps if it was more children would grow up with a sense of gratitude towards the people that gave them freedom and not animosity. Maybe they would understand what some have sacrificed for them, what they have given and unlike many, did not take from their country. This, in my opinion is a powerful tool. It is gory, it is retched, it is horrible but it is valid history that all to often unknown.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6462578
02/15/19 08:51 PM
02/15/19 08:51 PM
saskatchewan canada
K
kingrat Offline
trapper
kingrat  Offline
trapper
K

saskatchewan canada
By far one of my favorite war movies, watched it a few times.

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6462579
02/15/19 08:52 PM
02/15/19 08:52 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
I guided a man pheasant hunting for 3 years that was there. One of the most amazing men I ever met. He told me that when he finally made it to the beach all he had was the clothes on his back. I asked “what did you do for a weapon” his reply made me realize it was a dumb question.

He looked at me and said. “Son there where plenty laying on the beach”

Last edited by Pawnee; 02/15/19 08:57 PM.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6462599
02/15/19 09:08 PM
02/15/19 09:08 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
To my knowledge, I had one great uncle that parachuted in on D-Day. I had one that landed in the first wave at Utah and two that landed in the third wave. This is from different sides of the family and at the time, they were not even family yet. The marriages that would later connect us all had not happened. All for of my great uncles made it. None were killed in the war. My family was lucky. Many were not.

Last edited by Finster; 02/15/19 09:08 PM.

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6462631
02/15/19 09:23 PM
02/15/19 09:23 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted by Finster
To my knowledge, I had one great uncle that parachuted in on D-Day. I had one that landed in the first wave at Utah and two that landed in the third wave. This is from different sides of the family and at the time, they were not even family yet. The marriages that would later connect us all had not happened. All for of my great uncles made it. None were killed in the war. My family was lucky. Many were not.

That’s amazing

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6462633
02/15/19 09:29 PM
02/15/19 09:29 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Not sure that it a unrealistic story line the Sullivan Bros was factual as well as mothers only son. I have also read that on Utah and Omaha the Germans were zeroed in on known positions it must have been pure (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and very chaotic to say the least, also most of those that hit the beaches had not seen combat before and very sea sick. As far as losses in WW II the Russians and Chinese had it the worst it is doubtful that things would have ended the way they did without the eastern front and Russian efforts there losses were higher defending Stalingrad than total loss for the US in the war.

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Pawnee] #6462638
02/15/19 09:34 PM
02/15/19 09:34 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Pawnee

That’s amazing

Yup, the two that landed on the third waves, I'm not sure what beaches they were on. All of them are gone now and this is family lore. None ever wanted to talk about it. I remember being a small kid staying at my great aunts and after they thought I was in bed long asleep, they would sometimes sit around the table and talk about things among themselves. I was just a kid at the time but I remember plenty of shots being poured, plenty of beer being drunk and sometimes outright crying among themselves. These were men that I never saw blush, tough guys, men of men but at night I heard them cry. To this day it still reinforces the pure heroism that these men were and never knew or acknowledged it themselves.

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6462678
02/15/19 09:57 PM
02/15/19 09:57 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Finster. The guy I posted about above made it through WWII. Then fought in Korea. He did most of his tour there as a surveyor. He came back unscathed from Korea and stayed in the Army until he took a job with NASA. He put his surveying skills to work for them and helped make the first 3D model of the moon for the moon landing. After that he signed back up and did a tour in Vietnam. Came back and worked for the state of Colorado as a surveyor until retirement in 1985. The only story he told me was about landing on the beach. His brother and nephews told me about all the rest.

Mr Hardgrave was a true American Hero

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6462704
02/15/19 10:11 PM
02/15/19 10:11 PM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
At one time my Dad and 4 of his brothers were in WWII. His brother Willard was in the Philippines and Dad and the rest were in Europe.
Funny thing, my dad did not know his youngest brother Arlo was in the military and then ran into him completely by accident in 1945 in France.
Arlo lied about his age and had enlisted, he was 16 years old. All 5 brothers made it back in one piece, physically anyway, I don't think they had invented a
name yet for the mental troubles a couple of them suffered.

Zim

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6462941
02/16/19 01:38 AM
02/16/19 01:38 AM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
An old neighbor of mine, now deceased, stormed the beach at Normandy. Right off, he took a bullet to the chest which took out one lung. The medics patched him up the best they could. Stopped the sucking chest wound, covered the would with sulfur, wrapped him up and buried him in the sand where he stayed for 2 days. They dug him out and did what they could and sent him home. He lived into his upper 80s. He never spoke to about this the whole time I new him. I found all of this out from his son years after he had passed.
The Greatest Generation.

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6462948
02/16/19 01:59 AM
02/16/19 01:59 AM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
An old neighbor of mine, now deceased, stormed the beach at Normandy. Right off, he took a bullet to the chest which took out one lung. The medics patched him up the best they could. Stopped the sucking chest wound, covered the wound with sulfur, wrapped him up and buried him in the sand where he stayed for 2 days. They dug him out and did what they could and sent him home. He lived into his upper 80s. He never spoke to me about this the whole time I new him. I found all of this out from his son years after he had passed.
The Greatest Generation.

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: 52Carl] #6463013
02/16/19 07:19 AM
02/16/19 07:19 AM
West Virginia
S
Sshaffer Offline
trapper
Sshaffer  Offline
trapper
S

West Virginia
My Father was a WWII vet. He fought in North Africa and Europe. He talked little about it.

He lived until he was 90. His heart was failing and he knew the end was coming. A few weeks before he passed he looked at me and said, “Son I don’t think I am gonna make it through this one”.

He asked me to not let them force him into a nursing home as they were trying to. I promised him I wouldn’t let that happen. I took him home 12/23/13. He sat in the recliner I bought him for Father’s Day years before. He passed 12/27/13 sitting upright in that chair fully clothed. I was alone sitting beside him. About 15 minutes before he passed I took his wrists in my hands and told him it was ok to let go. I told him to go see Mom and my 2 Brothers. I told him I’d be ok. He passed less than 15 minutes later.

At one point in WWII he spent I believe weeks unloading every possible manner of munitions from ships. Shortly before he passed he said “Son I am afraid of going to H... because of all the men that died from those munitions. I helped him pray for forgiveness, and told him he would be forgiven.

Greatest FATHER Ever. Greatest Generatiin Ever.

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6463092
02/16/19 09:10 AM
02/16/19 09:10 AM
saskatchewan canada
K
kingrat Offline
trapper
kingrat  Offline
trapper
K

saskatchewan canada
None of them talked about it and as kids we were told not to ask. Both grandpas and a great uncle stormed the beach, uncle never came home and I cant begin to imagine what they did and saw.

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6463118
02/16/19 09:36 AM
02/16/19 09:36 AM
va
P
pudge Offline
trapper
pudge  Offline
trapper
P

va
Dad was a WW2 vet, Europe, served in the 3rd army as a machine gunner. As near as we can tell, he entered France in September 1944 and stayed for the duration. Growing up I would get bits and pieces of stories, usually when he was bending an elbow with other veterans. The two items that I remember well that he spoke of was the booby traps that the Germans would use and the concentration camps. His war experience was not a topic of discussion with me or with anyone else who was not there. How I wish he could have been open with it all. Mom always said he was wounded in a way we will never understand.

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6463158
02/16/19 10:14 AM
02/16/19 10:14 AM
Michigan
coonlove Offline
trapper
coonlove  Offline
trapper

Michigan
General Teddy Roosevelt Jr. went ashore on Utah beach, upright with a walking stick in one hand and a .45 in the other "to inspire the men". He died a few weeks later of a heart attack. Also, don't forget that there were 5 beaches-2 American, 2 British and one Canadian. Our allies gave a lot also.

"I'm the paterfamilias"
Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6463166
02/16/19 10:25 AM
02/16/19 10:25 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I watched a little program on the making of that movie. They said that the idea of looking for Ryan was to move the group threw the battle field. Different encounters were taken fro individual Soldier stories then put together to move from one short story to the other.
A guy that I worked with when his father saw the movie.. he finally talked to his son about his experience. Said the part in the movie where they shoot the half track and found Ryan. It could have been him as he ad done something very similar tot hat little fight.
another vet that I used to dive with. He got there the day the shooting stopped. What he couldn't believe about the movie was how real the city and towns looked like what he went threw and saw. He was an MP and was at the trials where they hung a bunch of them Nazis.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6463182
02/16/19 10:46 AM
02/16/19 10:46 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
The beach scene from "Saving private Ryan". Now I know some on here dislike this movie because the story line is unrealistic. To that I say, to each his own. However, you cannot deny or fault the awesome cinematography or historical accuracy of this scene from the movie. I am not a big Tom Hanks or Spielberg fan because of their leftist views but I will give credit where credit is due. This, in my opinion, is perhaps the greatest reconstruction of a battle, the most realistic and best filmed ever. WWII vets that had to walk out of the movie I assume would agree. I'm sure most everyone on this site has seen this movie. That is not the point. This 20 minute clip should be shown in every grade and high school in America. Every year it should be a requirement. It never will be but perhaps if it was more children would grow up with a sense of gratitude towards the people that gave them freedom and not animosity. Maybe they would understand what some have sacrificed for them, what they have given and unlike many, did not take from their country. This, in my opinion is a powerful tool. It is gory, it is retched, it is horrible but it is valid history that all to often unknown.

I doubt that footage even came close to what actually occurred.

As Hanks' character says in the movie, and others here mentioned, every inch of that beach was zeroed in. Not just for the Germans shooting MG 42's in the pillboxes, but for the artillery and mortars too. Ramparts and obstacles serve a double purpose. They slow an enemy's advance and they also serve as markers for gun crews and the guys calling for artillery.

Those men jumping out of landing craft and wading to shore were advancing into the mouth of (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman).

I'll never be able to figure out how anyone who lived through that melee was able to ever have a sane thought again... And I know many who came back never got over it. How would you ever smell fresh blood again and not be instantly transported back to a terrible memory?

I am thankful for my life. And I am mindful that my life is good in part because men were willing to look beyond their own lives for mine.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6463197
02/16/19 11:03 AM
02/16/19 11:03 AM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
I wish that every young person be required to watch that and what the horrors of war are really like. Those men provided the life we enjoy today.

Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6463268
02/16/19 12:28 PM
02/16/19 12:28 PM
southeast texas
H
huntr6 Offline
trapper
huntr6  Offline
trapper
H

southeast texas
If anyone ever goes to New Orleans take the time to go to the D Day Museum. Very Very good. Us younger generations are blessed to have had a generation before us that was as strong as they were. Thank you to all of them.

"Red, white and blue down to the bone / You don't like that then take your punk azz home". Kid Rock
Re: D-Day the beach scene [Re: Finster] #6463307
02/16/19 01:02 PM
02/16/19 01:02 PM
Berlin, Pa.
C
cci Offline
trapper
cci  Offline
trapper
C

Berlin, Pa.
My dad was a ww2 fighter pilot in burma. Got shot down an presumed dead. Showed up on his own later. Bronze star , distinguished flying cross and many oak leaf clusters. He flew p47 to p51 i think. Never heard a word about it from him. Found out from other people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread