No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Otter bucket set help #6463157
02/16/19 10:13 AM
02/16/19 10:13 AM
KS
T
twells Offline OP
trapper
twells  Offline OP
trapper
T

KS
Hello all,

I’m new to the forum and used the search feature but couldn’t find my answer so I thought I’d ask here.

I have my traps and buckets, but trying to figure out the best way to attach the trap (220) to the bucket, and bucket to the dock I’m trapping near. I’ve heard of swivels and such as well, I just can’t visualize how to tie the whole trap system together to reduce the chance of losing the bucket or trap while maximizing the catch.

Also, when bucket setting, what is the ideal amount of water on top of the bucket? I’ve heard 3’ and I’ve hear 1’?

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with a rookie like myself!

Cheers

Thomas

Re: Otter bucket set help [Re: twells] #6463191
02/16/19 10:59 AM
02/16/19 10:59 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
You didn't mention anything about the bait you plan on using.

It's my opinion that you would be better off finding where the otter come up on land and trap them there.

But If your determined to try here's what I would do.
Slot the bucket so you can get the trap stabilized In the mouth of the bucket. Rotating the springs up or down will lock in In place.

Take your bucket and drill a hole through both sides as close to the back as possible Then use a T bar stake to stake It to the bottom. If you drive the stake into the bottom at a angle you can keep the bucket at the same angle so the mouth of the bucket will be more exposed from above.
You could use the same stake to tie off your trap but I guess I would use a separate stake. Or tie the trap off to the pier post .
I've heard of using live bait but It's going to be pretty tricky keeping that bait alive and swimming around. But I suppose you could run a line through both lips and with a short line tie the fish off to the bucket stake. But your going to have to tie It off short so the fish won't trip the trap. I have never tried any of this so It's just guess work on my part.

Last edited by The Beav; 02/16/19 11:01 AM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Otter bucket set help [Re: twells] #6463269
02/16/19 12:29 PM
02/16/19 12:29 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Is it clear water.?
Then sink your white bucket to the bottom and slot it like Beav says.
Use oily fish and the otter will find it.

Re: Otter bucket set help [Re: twells] #6463533
02/16/19 06:07 PM
02/16/19 06:07 PM
KS
T
twells Offline OP
trapper
twells  Offline OP
trapper
T

KS
It’s fairly clear water. This particular lake has minimal bank cover which makes me feel like a “slide” set would be challenging. In my option they enter the lake from different areas all the time.

I have a dock and a few ditches that I would like to try bucket sets in. The end of the dock is roughly 6-8 feet deep. My plan was to tie the set to the dock and lower it to the bottom after being weighted. I will use dead fish on a stake.

I have he notches and holes in the buckets. The traps fit perfect and go off without a hitch. My concern is how to attach the trap and the bucket to the dock/tree limb I could tie too. Will rope/chain attaching to the bucket/trap impede the effectiveness of the set?

Thanks for the help, I’m desperate to get these otters handled. They are really doing damage in my managed fishing lake!!

Re: Otter bucket set help [Re: twells] #6463546
02/16/19 06:24 PM
02/16/19 06:24 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Wrap the fish to the rock in the bottom and a cable around and down through the bottom of the bucket and up to your tie down. When you are setting the trap put one or two small plastic pop bottles in the springs, these will block the sides of the bucket, with a small string,lenght to float to surface when fired, then you will know when you have a catch wit the little bottles floating on the surface. Or use a under-water camera to check....back in the otter craze days this was a go to for some river trappers with a 10 inch auger, some of those guys earned enough for a new Artic cat in a season.

Re: Otter bucket set help [Re: twells] #6463587
02/16/19 07:22 PM
02/16/19 07:22 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Get your self a 10' length of conduit. Bolt the bucket to the conduit. Leave about 10" of conduit below the bucket. This way you can shove the conduit Into the bottom to stabilize the set up. Then you can tie off the top of the conduit to the dock.
Or just use zip ties to fasten the bucket to the conduit by doing this you can adjust the bucket at any depth you want just by sliding the bucket up and down the conduit.
Just drill holes In the bucket and run the zip ties through the holes and around the pole. Run a safety line from the bucket and the trap up to the surface. This won't hurt the effectiveness of the set.

Good luck.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Otter bucket set help [Re: twells] #6463595
02/16/19 07:29 PM
02/16/19 07:29 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
The only otter I've caught doing a similar set was where I attached a fish to the triggers of a 330 and hung it from a marina dock where the otter was known to enter and exit the water. I caught the otter by the front paw 2 days after I made the set and I used otter lure smeared on the dock above the trap.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread