No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Blocking otter? #6463717
02/16/19 09:25 PM
02/16/19 09:25 PM
SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
B
bur Offline OP
trapper
bur  Offline OP
trapper
B

SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
Got a question for the otter guys. I catch my fair share in defined slides leading up and away From toilets. But I ran across some Otter toilets today, with subtle crawl outs. I was walking down a tram road in the middle of a big swap and came across four or five different toilets. There is not a very defined crawl out. How much can I block an otter? The bank is pretty steep and has some small saplings. If I put a 330 in, looks like they could easily walk around it as it’s pretty open. I’ll blend them in with some branches and try to camo the 330. Just curious how much I can block around it and not get refusals. Also, anyone ever used fish oil up the bank at the crawl out? It looks like each toilet has 3-4 crawl outs ... hoping to set just a few 330s at each and force them to come to me.

Happy Trapping . . .
Re: Blocking otter? [Re: bur] #6463738
02/16/19 09:45 PM
02/16/19 09:45 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Some otter will shy away from fencing on land.Not so under water.If you find a good otter trail you don't need much if any fencing.Just some 'suggesting" will do.
Look for a "kick off bowl"where they crawl out and set a foothold on a drowner.

Last edited by Boco; 02/16/19 09:46 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Blocking otter? [Re: bur] #6463748
02/16/19 09:49 PM
02/16/19 09:49 PM
OR
B
Brady wayne Offline
trapper
Brady wayne  Offline
trapper
B

OR
Maybe try a foot hold trap up by the toilet where or if it flattens out. I have never tried pinching one down on land.

Re: Blocking otter? [Re: bur] #6463767
02/16/19 10:08 PM
02/16/19 10:08 PM
SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
B
bur Offline OP
trapper
bur  Offline OP
trapper
B

SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
Was planning on putting a 330 in the water at the crawl out about 2/3 submerged. Would need some decent guiding to get them to come through the 330 instead of around. Maybe a foothold would work better sure enough. Most crawouts I set are blocked down naturally ... this is like a wide open bank. I’m setting tomorrow so might update with some pictures.

Happy Trapping . . .
Re: Blocking otter? [Re: bur] #6464244
02/17/19 10:18 AM
02/17/19 10:18 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Ive necked the "swamp-woods" trails down quite a bit using 220's ...I would not hesitate to try it wit a 330

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Blocking otter? [Re: bur] #6464744
02/17/19 06:10 PM
02/17/19 06:10 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Originally Posted by bur
Got a question for the otter guys. I catch my fair share in defined slides leading up and away From toilets. But I ran across some Otter toilets today, with subtle crawl outs. I was walking down a tram road in the middle of a big swap and came across four or five different toilets. There is not a very defined crawl out. How much can I block an otter? The bank is pretty steep and has some small saplings. If I put a 330 in, looks like they could easily walk around it as it’s pretty open. I’ll blend them in with some branches and try to camo the 330. Just curious how much I can block around it and not get refusals. Also, anyone ever used fish oil up the bank at the crawl out? It looks like each toilet has 3-4 crawl outs ... hoping to set just a few 330s at each and force them to come to me.

I am trying to deal with a very similar situation in a a good size pond. Only one fairly well defined pullout at a toilet area and I have it guarded with a 330 about 2/3 submerged. There is also a bank den entrance to a vacant beaver den close and I have it guarded with a completely submerged 330. I also put a couple of dirthole sets near the toilet area.

At the other toilet area, there is no identifiable crawl out and the bank is steep above and below water level. Can not get in the water without going for a swim but I managed to get a couple of 330s on tall H stands close to the bank where there are gaps between the small saplings and I added the bushy tops of some more saplings between and on either side of the 330s. as well as a couple of dirthole sets in the area. Been set for 4 days and no activity so far.

Do not know if it will help or not but I did squirt some fish oil on the bank and around the dirtholes this morning to try to improve my odds when they show up again.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread