No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Averages vs. Top price #6463770
02/16/19 10:08 PM
02/16/19 10:08 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
We all trap for our own reasons. Some for fun, some for profit, some for a little of both. We're all trappers, in my opinion. Some better at it than others. Some have better fur in their region, or the opportunity to trap it when it's prime. LOTS of variables. Still, doesn't change a thing, in my opinion, we're all trappers. I'm interested in what numbers are important to you concerning your season. Is it your average, the top price paid for your fur, the number of critters you caught, some combination of all the above, or something else. Interested in hearing the experiences and outlooks of others. If we could keep any "criticism" directed into helpful advise, so that it's constructive, that'd be nice too.

For me, I'm interested in all of them. How many I'm catching, what the average is, and what did my best of a species bring. Then this season happened. I was ready. I mean like, really ready. Then the weather happened, and I couldn't do what I planned to do. I wasn't ready for that. And, I couldn't find them, they weren't there, their numbers dropped, and so did mine. Wasn't ready for that one either. I came home, about 3 weeks into the season, and told my wife, "I'm not gonna worry about it. I can't catch what I can't find, and I can't even get onto most properties to look. Situation outta my hands." I didn't like it though, just so ya know. I said that, but I wasn't exactly feeling it 24/7. I spent most of my season comparing myself, to myself. Looking at where I was 7 seasons ago. Big change. I catch stuff now, on purpose. I can follow a trapping conversation, and occasionally, I can add something to it. I didn't trap as many days this season, I didn't set as many traps, or trap on as many properties, didn't buy as much gas, lot of numbers come to play for me. Bills still come during trapping season, even though I'm not working much. I start forking out money chasing fur, I need to be able to sell that fur for a little bit. I can only afford so much "fun". This season, for me, I was just more effective than I've ever been. Not on just one thing, but a combination of things. A combination of things learned and experienced on the trap line. I know there's so much more to learn. Always, a way to improve myself, my average, my top price earned, and how many I caught! That trapping bug bit me bone deep, and there ain't no turning back!

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463790
02/16/19 10:23 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
this wasn't my best cfowler if that helps you any. not the first one I ever had where weather made things tough either

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463791
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Over the years I’ve trapped for numbers and money. The older I get the more I slow down and think. I also want to learn more now compared to back when I knew it all:) I think I still spend to much time figuring on money spent (gas,supplies,etc). This was my toughest season since 1993. Probably caught 40% of what I normally do, but I cannot put into words what it means to me.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463804
02/16/19 10:35 PM
02/16/19 10:35 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Top and average have little actual value except as for bragging rights. Average comes closer to being useful but it can be manipulated easier than top prices. I'm a median and mode kinda guy myself.

Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463820
02/16/19 10:45 PM
02/16/19 10:45 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I look at percent clearance at spring auctions. I look at the amount of rain in May and June. Those are good indicators.

Actually one price I got for a marten stands out. A damage III marten that sold for $90. It almost ended up in the trash. It should have.I feel for the guy that ended up with that piece of crap. crazy

Last edited by Dirt; 02/17/19 01:16 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463832
02/16/19 10:54 PM
02/16/19 10:54 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
Because of bad surgeries I hadn't set a trap for a couple years. This year I managed to catch several rats and three mink, what used to be a bad days catch was my season and I am thrilled. Some days every step hurts but at least I am still trying. I will do more next year, experience gives you perspective.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463858
02/16/19 11:10 PM
02/16/19 11:10 PM
NW Mo
M
Michael Lippold Offline
trapper
Michael Lippold  Offline
trapper
M

NW Mo
I like to try and set a goal number wise but it’s not the end of the world if it isn’t met. I just enjoy spending more time in the outdoors. I enjoy spending time with my trapping partner(my dad) whom I got into trapping for the first time in his life after joining me on the line a few years ago. Money is great but I would trap regardless of wether there was a pay day at the end. Also it feels good knowing that by taking out some of the predators we are helping the local small game critters

Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463862
02/16/19 11:12 PM
02/16/19 11:12 PM
Cheyenne Wyoming
C
Castormound Offline
trapper
Castormound  Offline
trapper
C

Cheyenne Wyoming
1st month is for fun, next 2 months are for money, last month is for fun again.

Antelope, the original fast food!!
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463878
02/16/19 11:21 PM
02/16/19 11:21 PM
Meridian, Idaho
10bands Offline
trapper
10bands  Offline
trapper

Meridian, Idaho
Normally I trap to get rich. When I'm not doing that I trap to pay the bills because when I get to do it it's because I'm not working. This year I had to work all winter and so far, except for a couple ride alongs, I've only trapped just this weekend for beaver and rats. Just glad I got to do something and I suppose the coyotes appreciate my absence a little too.

Like to see my average on each species and compare that to previous seasons. Well I don't like to watch my beaver averages seems the harder I work for them the less I get.

Last edited by 10bands; 02/16/19 11:23 PM.
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463886
02/16/19 11:35 PM
02/16/19 11:35 PM
Idaho
V
vegasjim Offline
trapper
vegasjim  Offline
trapper
V

Idaho
Me too Pawnee!

Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: SNIPERBBB] #6463943
02/17/19 12:31 AM
02/17/19 12:31 AM
Adirondacks NY
F
Forest Offline
trapper
Forest  Offline
trapper
F

Adirondacks NY
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
Top and average have little actual value except as for bragging rights. Average comes closer to being useful but it can be manipulated easier than top prices. I'm a median and mode kinda guy myself.

I wish they would put the mode on auction reports. Avg gets messed up when someone brings a bunch of junk.

Paul Smiths Forestry ‘22
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463983
02/17/19 01:24 AM
02/17/19 01:24 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Number one for me is keeping the line healthy by not undertrapping when prices are lower,and not overtrapping when prices are high.I trap more when the populations indicate that the resource will be wasted if numbers are not taken,and trap less when numbers indicate pressure on a declining population will harm the recovery.It has little to do with the price of fur for me,and more about protecting my investment in my traplines for future years.I tend to look at my resource long term.I strive to manage the total fur resource for maximum sustainable harvest over the long term.

Last edited by Boco; 02/17/19 01:27 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463988
02/17/19 01:31 AM
02/17/19 01:31 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Forest-that is exactly why sec 3 is not included in the avg of the fur wanted by the market.

Last edited by Boco; 02/17/19 01:33 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6463991
02/17/19 01:33 AM
02/17/19 01:33 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
If you're a gambler, or even just a wee bit, the top price is the "high" that keeps you coming back. The average (or mode/median for SNIPERBBB) probably aligns more if a person made any money or not, although I've seen pleny of $50-100 a pound walleye in this state.

What I like, besides seeing how my fur stacks up against other stuff from across North America, is that almost no one does it around here any more. Sort of ironic of SOuth Dakota, but my little corner has become very urban/ suburbanized (full disclosure, I grew up in a city, although its much larger now then when I was a kid, I chose/choose to do some trapping). I suspect that in bedroom town, that claims to have about 10,000 people, the number of active trappers can probably be counted on my hands and toes- I'm sure that I'm the only one in my neighbor bagging up critter carcasses for my trash hauler. I work in a place that has several hundred guys and I'm probably the only current trapper there (maybe I'd be surprised). There are far more who have trapped in the past but because of their work scehdules or their changing interest or even just their drive, almost no one is doing it. So I like being a contrarian in my area. Its something that I can't do sitting behind my desk, even if its checking some coon sets in a hoarder's farmstead 5 minutes from work. More than one masked bandit has met its end on my lunch break...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6464004
02/17/19 02:00 AM
02/17/19 02:00 AM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
I think it's like a tangle ball of yarn, I can't untangle it enough to sort it out. But here are some points.

1. My first exposure to trapping was an ADC job I had for a professional company over a summer, for money.
2. A few years later I was living on a large farm and had a problem with skunks, coons getting under my house, so I trapped them...this quickly turned into fur trapping. Fun with the thought it might some day produce money.
3. For the next 10 years my trapping grew and expanded. I sold pelts and coon meat. Was able to cover the cost of running lines each year but always spent more on trapping stuff then I brought in, which didn't bother me, but definitely never made money.
4. The market crashed 5 years ago. I had been on active duty for 9 years and got out a year later. Moved yet again to a new place and started working for myself. Fur trapping for me stopped except on my family property. It was a combination of things.....eventually no time to get permissions, trap, etc due to working 100 hours a week for myself; not wanting to catch a bunch of fur and nothing to do with it; I feel even a hobby line should cover its operating expenses.
5. Interestingly, the town I moved to has no ADC trapper, and desperately needs one. Word got out I can trap and started getting all kinds of unsolicited ADC calls. I took the test and got an ADC license. I do only outside jobs have done beaver, skunk, possum and groundhog jobs. I charge a lot and get paid well for the jobs I do. I only do jobs that won't interfere with my regular job and so I turn most down. That said, already had the all equipment I use, so gas and the license fee is my only overhead, and I have made good money doing the ADC work. I enjoy it a little bit but not like fur trapping.

I am hoping to settle into life enough to run a good trapline again within the next few years. Maybe one where I am not concerned with covering the cost of running a line. Even in the best years nobody's getting rich in VA fur trapping.

Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: Forest] #6464006
02/17/19 02:02 AM
02/17/19 02:02 AM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Originally Posted by Forest
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB

I wish they would put the mode on auction reports. Avg gets messed up when someone brings a bunch of junk.

Auction averages don't include damage/ section III.

Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6464024
02/17/19 03:21 AM
02/17/19 03:21 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Back when I was shipping a lot of fur up north I liked checking the auction average against what my average was. Because of my bigger beaver I usually averaged $2-3 more than the auction avg which always pleased me.

Kind of like looking at sporting statistics. Fun to look at the numbers.

Last edited by beaverpeeler; 02/17/19 03:22 AM.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6464028
02/17/19 03:58 AM
02/17/19 03:58 AM
West Virginia
S
Sshaffer Offline
trapper
Sshaffer  Offline
trapper
S

West Virginia
One thing is for certain. You cannot compare trapping numbers or dollars from different regions. Regions do not need to cover large areas to be vastly different. Fur numbers can be vastly different when only separated by a few miles.

Many conditions dictate expenses when trapping. I have access to approximately 6,000 acres. I do not need to even start my truck to access it. I have access to 20,000 acres with about an 8 mile drive. Problem is it is all by foot only. I never see another trapper, and rarely another hunter for exactly that reason. Also fur numbers are as low as likely anywhere in the country.

Basically huge numbers for me would make many trappers scoff.

I used to live and trap for about 49 years where there were huge numbers of furbearers. Fairly short drive to get there. My numbers then makes my numbers now look ridiculous.

High prices for fur is great. Except it brings out everyone. Mostly the bad.

I have trapped since 1966. It is my passion. It has made me a better woodsman, then being only a hunter alone.

It is funny how my friends who hunt cannot see all the “sign” around them. Even for the animals they hunt. They turn to me for info on tracks they find. It is funny when they send me pics of opossum tracks wondering what strange animal made them. Met a guy recently who flat out told me there were no fisher in this area. I had another fellow who has hunted for 50+ years in this area. He had never heard of a fisher. Really???

Sorry I wasn’t entirely on the subject of this thread with my reply.

Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: Boco] #6464039
02/17/19 05:01 AM
02/17/19 05:01 AM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
Originally Posted by Boco
Number one for me is keeping the line healthy by not undertrapping when prices are lower,and not overtrapping when prices are high.I trap more when the populations indicate that the resource will be wasted if numbers are not taken,and trap less when numbers indicate pressure on a declining population will harm the recovery.It has little to do with the price of fur for me,and more about protecting my investment in my traplines for future years.I tend to look at my resource long term.I strive to manage the total fur resource for maximum sustainable harvest over the long term.

I like this. ^
After that I’m about percentages. Setting what counts. Trying new things
Money comes and goes and if it wasn’t a distant 3rd place in the lineup I’da quit long ago.

Last edited by nimzy; 02/17/19 05:03 AM.
Re: Averages vs. Top price [Re: cfowler] #6464262
02/17/19 10:37 AM
02/17/19 10:37 AM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Thanks for the replies. Hope they keep coming. LOTS of variety among us. I thoroughly enjoy the rendezvous/conventions, banquets/benefit auctions, fur sales, sitting in a parking lot waiting on the groeny truck, all of it. Those events allow me to be social with those I have something in-common with, trapping, which is at the core of how many of us identify ourselves.

Some really good comments and in-sights, so again, thanks!

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread