ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Single vs double door #6465287
02/18/19 08:01 AM
02/18/19 08:01 AM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline OP
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
J

Maine
I've only got a handful of cage traps and need to pick up some more. Do you guys find yourself using the single or double door traps more?

Also any trouble using raccoon sized trap for skunks? Trying to have the most versatility with what I can afford. My targets are skunks, groundhogs, raccoons.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6465316
02/18/19 08:49 AM
02/18/19 08:49 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Doing any serious cage trapping the use of single or a double door trap may be better in a particular situation. If limited to finances the larger cages will provide more versatility over all. When it comes to skunks I prefer to limit their mobility in a trap therefore I prefer a smaller cage for that kind of specific trapping.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6465326
02/18/19 09:14 AM
02/18/19 09:14 AM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline OP
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
J

Maine
That makes sense. Do you like the tube traps? I worry they get too hot.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6465327
02/18/19 09:16 AM
02/18/19 09:16 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Doubles have a universal purpose, but I tend to use single door traps with a rear slide release more unless I'm running positives. For skunks I use standard cage traps 36x11x12 rear slide release or smaller and use a piece of rubber to cover the traps with great success. If you already have some tools to do the jobs, I wouldn't come out of pocket for traps right off the cuff, I would let the jobs buy them. Then you can start to play the who makes the best trap game, which would come into play on the applications you apply them to on the job. I know folks who went out and bought all kinds of cool new trapping gear and supplies for their jobs, but they don't have the volume of work to make up for it and their traps sit on the bench. To each their own

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6465334
02/18/19 09:31 AM
02/18/19 09:31 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
If you are having trouble with animals not going all the way to the back of a single door, just put a piece of cardboard on the pan half way to the door and set a hair trigger. But I have both. Just make sure you buy good traps. No junk. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Single vs double door [Re: TDHP] #6465357
02/18/19 09:54 AM
02/18/19 09:54 AM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline OP
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
J

Maine
Originally Posted by TDHP
Doubles have a universal purpose, but I tend to use single door traps with a rear slide release more unless I'm running positives. For skunks I use standard cage traps 36x11x12 rear slide release or smaller and use a piece of rubber to cover the traps with great success. If you already have some tools to do the jobs, I wouldn't come out of pocket for traps right off the cuff, I would let the jobs buy them. Then you can start to play the who makes the best trap game, which would come into play on the applications you apply them to on the job. I know folks who went out and bought all kinds of cool new trapping gear and supplies for their jobs, but they don't have the volume of work to make up for it and their traps sit on the bench. To each their own

I just want to have at least one good trap for each animal. I've got a few but they are mostly lower end traps with single doors. I can't get quality traps locally so I'm torn about waiting until a job arrives but you're right about not knowing how much and what kind of work I might have.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6465404
02/18/19 10:47 AM
02/18/19 10:47 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted by Jonnytrapper
I just want to have at least one good trap for each animal. I've got a few but they are mostly lower end traps with single doors. I can't get quality traps locally so I'm torn about waiting until a job arrives but you're right about not knowing how much and what kind of work I might have.

Curious could you define a good trap for each animal? Lots out there think everything is junk unless it costs $200 to $300 a trap. Some traps grow legs and are damaged due to third party interference and in some cases the homeowner is to blame. If you're the type of individual who doesn't do a whole lot of volume and are on a budget how do you plan on replacing them super expensive elite traps? You place a trap in an area where neighbors aren't friendly to what you are doing, you will find out real fast what I'm talking about. Your tactics may be different, if you need costly" good traps" to trap raccoons,skunks and groundhogs...good luck to ya. Our traps take a beating, they're stepped on by farm animals, been kicked around by customers kids, been cut with appeared to be bolt cutters and have been taken apart. Have to take into consideration on where you will be trapping as well. As stated to each their own...you asked and people responded.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Single vs double door [Re: TDHP] #6465429
02/18/19 11:13 AM
02/18/19 11:13 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
If I trapped raccoon, woodchucks, and skunks and wanted to limit myself to one cage, you can bet that it would be the Comstock 24 inch 2-door. I've already caught hundreds of those animals in that Comstock and there really isn't a situation that doesn't lend itself to that cage!

Re: Single vs double door [Re: TDHP] #6465458
02/18/19 11:42 AM
02/18/19 11:42 AM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline OP
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
J

Maine
Originally Posted by Jonnytrapper

Curious could you define a good trap for each animal? Lots out there think everything is junk unless it costs $200 to $300 a trap. Some traps grow legs and are damaged due to third party interference and in some cases the homeowner is to blame. If you're the type of individual who doesn't do a whole lot of volume and are on a budget how do you plan on replacing them super expensive elite traps? You place a trap in an area where neighbors aren't friendly to what you are doing, you will find out real fast what I'm talking about. Your tactics may be different, if you need costly" good traps" to trap raccoons,skunks and groundhogs...good luck to ya. Our traps take a beating, they're stepped on by farm animals, been kicked around by customers kids, been cut with appeared to be bolt cutters and have been taken apart. Have to take into consideration on where you will be trapping as well. As stated to each their own...you asked and people responded.

I was looking at the Safeguard traps on wildlifecontrolsupplies.com. Mine are all Havahart (with the unreliable gravity latch) and only one has the good strong spring latched door that will hold a big coon but it's kinda big at 15x15x 40ish.

"...you asked and people responded" I appreciate all the responses, they have been informative.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #6465467
02/18/19 11:50 AM
02/18/19 11:50 AM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline OP
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
J

Maine
Originally Posted by Paul Winkelmann
If I trapped raccoon, woodchucks, and skunks and wanted to limit myself to one cage, you can bet that it would be the Comstock 24 inch 2-door. I've already caught hundreds of those animals in that Comstock and there really isn't a situation that doesn't lend itself to that cage!

I was under the impression I wanted a longer trap with the double door. Is that not necessary with the Comstock spring loaded doors?

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #6465485
02/18/19 12:20 PM
02/18/19 12:20 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
If it works for you, that is fantastic Mr. Winkelmann. I don't believe those traps are necessary for me and I trap plenty of critters with the traps I use. Like buying a $1,700 set of clubs, they are nice and durable but will they really improve your swing? If you can't get an animal to enter the cage, it really don't matter what brand you use.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Single vs double door [Re: TDHP] #6465514
02/18/19 12:54 PM
02/18/19 12:54 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan

If it works for you, that is fantastic Mr. Winkelmann. I don't believe those traps are necessary for me and I trap plenty of critters with the traps I use. Like buying a $1,700 set of clubs, they are nice and durable but will they really improve your swing? If you can't get an animal to enter the cage, it really don't matter what brand you use.

X2

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6465569
02/18/19 02:36 PM
02/18/19 02:36 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Go with a single door live trap. Clint Smith out of South Dakota used to make the best live traps. Runnings which is a regional farm store has a good version of Smith's. You want the trigger system where the animal steps on a rod grate and not having to cross a metal plate.

While I am not volunteering him, maybe Jerry Herbst will see your question and point you in the right direction as he knows his stuff and was posting some live trap photos here not long ago with yotes in them. He might be able to suggest something affordable and heavy duty for your work. Just remember that skunks go into big traps while coons will enter small traps, but get frustrated and are harder to deal with. I learned that lesson from using Meyer traps which used to be produced out of Iowa. Stout trap, but had the plate trigger and a boar coon bent the trigger rod into a cork screw.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6465621
02/18/19 03:44 PM
02/18/19 03:44 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
How does one know that is the best trap? I thought those other traps were the best traps? That's like reading posts of people using the "BEST" bait & Lure because so n so's cronies said so and trap 1000 coon a year on it, but have to go on a trapping forum to ask for another "BEST" bait & lure because the "BEST" bait & lure isn't so "BEST" for them. All the critters that have been taken by a solid plate didn't seem to mind them, and there are many every year. Its all preference, but If you happen to find the best trap let me know.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Single vs double door [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #6465640
02/18/19 04:16 PM
02/18/19 04:16 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Originally Posted by Paul Winkelmann

I'd choose similar, but go with a longer trap, 30"

But assuming you choose a quality trap, success depends more on where you put it than who makes it.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6465802
02/18/19 07:59 PM
02/18/19 07:59 PM
Canada
U
Urbancoon Offline
trapper
Urbancoon  Offline
trapper
U

Canada
I am not an expert and can't really comment on the best trap for ADC work, but I know that this cheaper trap, (Bridger Live Cage Raccoon Trap (29" x 12" x 12")), has not been turned down by any of my visiting raccoons (I've heard that raccoons can learn to roll these over and escape, but staking them down solves that).

I've seen videos of raccoons escaping from cheap traps--from inside they reach around the door and pull on the bar that holds the door down. I'd avoid those.

A common theme that I've picked up here is that all trappers may have their own ways, but they adapt what they know to the behavior of the animal they are trying to catch.

TDHP had written about putting traps on the raccoon's path and after observing them for a bit, I did just that and sure enough, next time they came by, they were in the trap almost before I could walk outside the house to meet them.

That bit of knowledge was much more valuable than the brand of cage.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6465827
02/18/19 08:24 PM
02/18/19 08:24 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
It is possible to set one trap for coons, groundhogs and skunks. Just have it figured out what you are going to do when you catch a skunk.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6466065
02/18/19 11:16 PM
02/18/19 11:16 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
Double doors for me, especially with skunks and woodchucks. This time of year the bait (mama skunk) is under the shed or deck.

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Urbancoon] #6466264
02/19/19 06:30 AM
02/19/19 06:30 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Originally Posted by Urbancoon

TDHP had written about putting traps on the raccoon's path and after observing them for a bit, I did just that and sure enough, next time they came by, they were in the trap almost before I could walk outside the house to meet them.

That bit of knowledge was much more valuable than the brand of cage.

When you stop and think about it, it's really hard to catch the animal if they never walk by the trap. Putting it where they will walk by greatly increases your chances!

Re: Single vs double door [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6466284
02/19/19 07:08 AM
02/19/19 07:08 AM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline OP
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
J

Maine
I like to blind set skunks so I'd say they have to walk pretty close lol!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread