No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? #6464749
02/17/19 06:14 PM
02/17/19 06:14 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I realize there's a huge area up there that sockeye go inland to spawn, and it varies year to year. Looks like last year the Bristol Bay area was really good, the rest of the places were really bad. Anybody recommend a go-to place that is always good? I have one recommendation for Kodiak Island. Anybody live on Kodiak Island?

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6464757
02/17/19 06:23 PM
02/17/19 06:23 PM
WV
G
garymc Offline
trapper
garymc  Offline
trapper
G

WV
I’ve been to the Russian and Kenai rivers twice in the last three years and will be going back again this year. I have yet to hit it when the fish were really thick, but have not had any trouble limiting every day on Sockeye. It can get crowded, but I go early then leave if it gets crowded. We normally spend 3-4 days there then go other places to catch pinks, coho, trout, and grayling. Myself and another friend go every trip, then we have 3-4 new guys so we try to experience several species. We always challenge ourself one day to fish new water to expand our horizons.

Last trip we saw 14 bears that was the highlight of the trip for me. A few were close.

Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6464764
02/17/19 06:30 PM
02/17/19 06:30 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I fished mostly the Kenai and the Russian. Both can offer great fishing if you hit the runs right but it can be unbelievably crowded. I had a boat so I was just minutes away from the crowds and had great stretches of river all to myself. IMO, reds are the fightingest and best tasting salmon in Alaska.

Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6464767
02/17/19 06:35 PM
02/17/19 06:35 PM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline
trapper
ol' dad  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Try to be there between July 14-24th. Its been a while since I was there but you'll usually catch the peak of the run sometime during those dates. I fish out of the Soldotna area.

Good luck! It's a blast if you hit the run!

[Linked Image]

ol' dad

"I season my food with hunger"
Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Posco] #6464773
02/17/19 06:40 PM
02/17/19 06:40 PM
WV
G
garymc Offline
trapper
garymc  Offline
trapper
G

WV
Originally Posted by Posco
IMO, reds are the fightingest and best tasting salmon in Alaska.

That’s what keeps me after them. Pound for pound they can fight.

The closest thing the guys that go with me experience in the east is an Erie trib. steelhead. The Reds are like an Erie steelhead with a rocket strapped to their rear. smile

Last edited by garymc; 02/17/19 06:40 PM.
Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6464815
02/17/19 07:35 PM
02/17/19 07:35 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I realize there's a huge area up there that sockeye go inland to spawn, and it varies year to year. Looks like last year the Bristol Bay area was really good, the rest of the places were really bad. Anybody recommend a go-to place that is always good? I have one recommendation for Kodiak Island. Anybody live on Kodiak Island?

I'd catch a flight from Anchorage or Soldotna over to the Naknek River at King Salmon, Ak on the Peninsula.

Usually between the 19th and 21st of June is when the Sockeye run hits the Naknek after they leave Bristol Bay.

King Salmon has good infrastructure, lodging, boat rentals, some restaurants

and is a fairly small (short) river.

Fish are all dime bright silver fresh from the ocean & still have sea lice on them.

Some of the biggest Reds I've ever seen of any Alaskan River.

I spent four summers guiding sports fishermen there 1985 thru 1989.

Good Spot and the escapement usually hits at least the the million mark.

w

Last edited by walleyed; 02/17/19 07:40 PM.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: ol' dad] #6464835
02/17/19 07:49 PM
02/17/19 07:49 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by ol' dad
Try to be there between July 14-24th. Its been a while since I was there but you'll usually catch the peak of the run sometime during those dates. I fish out of the Soldotna area.

Good luck! It's a blast if you hit the run!

You're hitting the second run at that time. I like the first run because you're not catching fish in varying degrees of decay after they've been in the river a while. For guys who have never seen it, Pacific salmon suffer from something we might compare to leprosy. They literally rot to death.

Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: walleyed] #6464982
02/17/19 09:42 PM
02/17/19 09:42 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by walleyed

I'd catch a flight from Anchorage or Soldotna over to the Naknek River at King Salmon, Ak on the Peninsula.

Usually between the 19th and 21st of June is when the Sockeye run hits the Naknek after they leave Bristol Bay.

Fish are all dime bright silver fresh from the ocean & still have sea lice on them.

w

I went to trade school in Wyoming with a rich kid from King Salmon........maybe he could show me the hotspots!

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6465395
02/18/19 10:37 AM
02/18/19 10:37 AM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Fish are all dime bright silver fresh from the ocean & are still carrying sea lice .

Good Spot and the escapement usually hits at least the million mark.

w

I went to trade school in Wyoming with a rich kid from King Salmon........maybe he could show me the hotspots!

Once the run hits the Naknek, the whole river is a hotspot cause it's so short a drainage before Naknek Lake.

Any where there is a back water current edge close to shore behind a boulder or sand bar is stacked like cordwood with migrating Reds.

That rich kid wouldn't be a Shawback, would he ?

w

Last edited by walleyed; 02/18/19 10:39 AM.

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: walleyed] #6465456
02/18/19 11:41 AM
02/18/19 11:41 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Online content
trapper
waggler  Online Content
trapper
W

w

I would follow this advice, get away from the combat fishing of the K.P.. Experience something more satisfying than just piling up a stack of sockeye.
Try one of the river systems on the south side of Bristol Bay; Naknek, Egegik or Ugashik. Maybe fish the Naknek for sockeye then fly down to the Ugashik narrows (between the lakes) for Dollies, or fish the short stretch of the Egegik river between the "lagoon" and lake Becharof. This last spot is incredible.
I've caught four species of of Pacific salmon and Dollies here all in the same day. If you split the cost of a charter out of King Salmon between a few people the cost will be reasonable. You could even camp out there a few days.

Forgot to mention; some rainbows and grayling also.

Last edited by waggler; 02/18/19 11:49 AM.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6465460
02/18/19 11:43 AM
02/18/19 11:43 AM
W
waggler Online content
trapper
waggler  Online Content
trapper
W

^^^^^^^
Correction; My fishing guide friends always give me the stink eye when I use the term "Dollies" or Dolly Varden. They prefer to call them "char".

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6465497
02/18/19 12:34 PM
02/18/19 12:34 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
If you are coming to catch reds to take back home to eat, you need to figure out the logistics and expense of keeping and preserving your fish and getting them home for a reasonable cost. If you want to end up with a quality product, you need to treat your fish well.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6465505
02/18/19 12:43 PM
02/18/19 12:43 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Is not the word "Dolly' reserved for the one and only Dolly Parton. Come on Waggler get with it that name surrender has been for what 40 years now.
I just called them fish "dinner" with a double nn for dinner meal.

Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6465532
02/18/19 01:24 PM
02/18/19 01:24 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
You guys can crap on the Kenai all you want but it's a great playground. Living in Anchorage sucks but you're centrally located to take advantage of a lot of good hunting and fishing. You don't need to get far off the road to leave the crowds behind.

Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Posco] #6465558
02/18/19 02:01 PM
02/18/19 02:01 PM
WV
G
garymc Offline
trapper
garymc  Offline
trapper
G

WV
Originally Posted by Dirt
If you are coming to catch reds to take back home to eat, you need to figure out the logistics and expense of keeping and preserving your fish and getting them home for a reasonable cost. If you want to end up with a quality product, you need to treat your fish well.

Amen, I had a couple of guys with me last year that paid in excess of $200 to ship 20 lbs of salmon home. This included packaging, storage fees, fish box, and shipping.

I have talked with Delta and I plan to carry on a small fish box this year as my carry on for the return trip. I have always just ate fish while I was there and never brought any home, but the wife is putting pressure on me this year to bring some back

Originally Posted by Posco
You guys can crap on the Kenai all you want but it's a great playground. Living in Anchorage sucks but you're centrally located to take advantage of a lot of good hunting and fishing. You don't need to get far off the road to leave the crowds behind.

I'm with you. I am positive that there are better areas, but the like you said it doesn't take much to get away from the crowds. Heck last year I fished one well know stretch from 4AM to daylight. Limited and released several. As the crowds showed up I filleted my fish and went back to camp.
In my two trips I have already estimated that I have seen less than 1/40th of Alaska. So we plan to continue to explore and will probably never see half of it in my lifetime only going a week at a time. Although II have told my wife that when I retire in 6 years that I want to go for a month July 1 to July 31.

Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: garymc] #6465561
02/18/19 02:15 PM
02/18/19 02:15 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by garymc
I'm with you. I am positive that there are better areas, but the like you said it doesn't take much to get away from the crowds. Heck last year I fished one well know stretch from 4AM to daylight. Limited and released several. As the crowds showed up I filleted my fish and went back to camp.
In my two trips I have already estimated that I have seen less than 1/40th of Alaska. So we plan to continue to explore and will probably never see half of it in my lifetime only going a week at a time. Although II have told my wife that when I retire in 6 years that I want to go for a month July 1 to July 31.

I've stood in one hole on the Russian River and caught fish after fish and never had to move. Rainbows and salmon. Same goes for the Kenai. The Russian was more crowded but with the daylight being what it is, you just time it right and fish when most people have returned to their tents. I launched my boat right where the ferry crossed and a short float downstream gave me river all to myself. Rainbows, Dollies and salmon until your arm hurt. Then there is the saltwater halibut fishing. I was slow to warm up to it but it became my favorite fishing.

I've always said a man could spend lifetimes in Alaska and never take in all it has to offer. I gave it a good shot.

Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6465572
02/18/19 02:43 PM
02/18/19 02:43 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
If you haven't fished for reds before, the first thing you need to understand is it is snagging not fishing, The object is to snag the fish in the mouth. Anybody can snag salmon in Alaska; sometimes it is impossible not to. Many people struggle to snag reds in the mouth. It is a skill. IMO a fly rod works best. You can get a better swing through the fish and the cushion of a long rod helps keep hooks from pulling out in the fast water. Yard that fish to out of that river fast. I'd practice the technique at home before I left. Maybe you can see how it is done on u-tube. Another thing you want, at least here, is a good set of polarized glasses. You need to see the small groups of fish when they swim by where I sockeye fish. Do not be tempted to fish Sockeye in slack pools as they are much harder to mouth snag than when oriented face first in current.

Disregard all the above if you don't care where you snag the fish you keep.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Dirt] #6465576
02/18/19 02:47 PM
02/18/19 02:47 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Dirt
If you haven't fished for reds before, the first thing you need to understand is it is snagging not fishing, The object is to snag the fish in the mouth. Anybody can snag salmon in Alaska; sometimes it is impossible not to.

Disregard all the above if you don't care where you snag the fish you keep.

You're certainly going to snag some fish during a run but salmon hit a fly out of aggression. How many times have you caught a Red with three or four Coho flies in its snout?

Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6465583
02/18/19 02:55 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
One of the best fishing trips I have ever had was with a TMAN outfitter/guide. Great gear, great people, great country....and reasonable pricing.

Reds, dollies, and rainbows to 25 inches.

It was all catch and release and fly rods only.

We drifted the canyon on the Kenai River. It was an 8 hour drift. Only saw three other people.

All I had to do was show up with my lunch. Everything else was provided.

If that sounds interesting to you contact Drasselt on this forum. Tell him what you're interested in.

As far as shipping fish or carrying them home.............I'd do neither. Order what you want from 10th & M Seafoods. They will ship it to your door overnight

Mean As Nails
Re: Great spot for sockeye in Alaska? [Re: garymc] #6465584
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by garymc
Last trip we saw 14 bears that was the highlight of the trip for me. A few were close.

Brown or black? I remember having an elderly couple warn my wife and I about a brown bear they had seen the day before on the gravel bar we were camped on. They seemed irritated by my lack of concern...they were probably right. Tracks were always present but as many times as I've floated the Kenai I never once saw a bear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread