No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: snowy] #6466577
02/19/19 12:40 PM
02/19/19 12:40 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Seen a guy using Irish Spring soap to stop mice in the cab of his truck when I looked closer at the pieces they had teeth marks on them! LOL

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: squacks] #6466592
02/19/19 01:09 PM
02/19/19 01:09 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
We have mice that make nests out of dryer sheets. Bucksnbears has mice that make nests out of moth balls. If my mice would hook up with Bucksnbears mice, they could produce a new generation of invincible mice that could never be defeated!!! eek shocked eek shocked eek

Besides what we do to keep the little critters out of the trucks, ATV, etc. in places where I can check daily, I do use the repeating bucket trap with the spinning bottle w/peanut butter to thin out mice. I set one up inside our screened porch and one inside the garage with a few inches of RV antifreeze in the bottom. The other day when it was a little warmer outside, I had five mice floating in one and four in the other. That sure beats single traps!

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: snowy] #6466618
02/19/19 01:30 PM
02/19/19 01:30 PM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
My brother and I set up a camp in CO for muzzleloader elk season, from prior experience we made a bucket trap right away, same year Titanic movie at the theater. So he had thrown a lot of match stubs into bucket from lantern and Coleman stove, one morning a mouse trying to stay afloat on the match stubs, he says " Promise me you"ll live! " We can always have a good laugh about that one. One camp 21 in bucket first morning, they were chewing into our clothes before we thinned them out.

Born twice, die once
Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: Patrice] #6466619
02/19/19 01:32 PM
02/19/19 01:32 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by Patrice
We have mice that make nests out of dryer sheets. Bucksnbears has mice that make nests out of moth balls. If my mice would hook up with Bucksnbears mice, they could produce a new generation of invincible mice that could never be defeated!!! eek shocked eek shocked eek

Besides what we do to keep the little critters out of the trucks, ATV, etc. in places where I can check daily, I do use the repeating bucket trap with the spinning bottle w/peanut butter to thin out mice. I set one up inside our screened porch and one inside the garage with a few inches of RV antifreeze in the bottom. The other day when it was a little warmer outside, I had five mice floating in one and four in the other. That sure beats single traps!

Good idea , Patrice, on that bucket and the peppermint spray ! Im going to order some and apply it as you instructed.

Im trying to picture how you have your B&B bucket se tup (bottle bucket smile )

That does beat a longline of traps !

Sometime when it is convenient for you, could you take a pic of your B&B ? That would help me to see how you have it rigged with the bottle .

grin

Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: Fishdog One] #6466637
02/19/19 02:04 PM
02/19/19 02:04 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Fishdog One
My brother and I set up a camp in CO for muzzleloader elk season, from prior experience we made a bucket trap right away, same year Titanic movie at the theater. So he had thrown a lot of match stubs into bucket from lantern and Coleman stove, one morning a mouse trying to stay afloat on the match stubs, he says " Promise me you"ll live! " We can always have a good laugh about that one. One camp 21 in bucket first morning, they were chewing into our clothes before we thinned them out.

I do that too in the fall, at the trapline cabin.

I love it in the night when one takes the plunge. It's usually so quiet you can hear them scream as they lose their footing and then gurgle a bit in the water laugh

Mean As Nails
Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: white17] #6466672
02/19/19 02:47 PM
02/19/19 02:47 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
I don't mean to hijack your thread, Snowy, but maybe a few people could benefit if they've never set up one of these!

[Linked Image]

Five gallon bucket, a dowel, an empty plastic bottle. Drill a couple holes near the top edge of the bucket and one through the bottom of the bottle and set up as shown so the bottle spins freely on the shaft. Add a couple inches of water (or RV antifreeze in winter) to the bottom of the bucket so mice drown. Apply a stripe of peanut butter around the middle of the bottle. Mice will get up there and crawl out to the peanut butter, engage in a lumberjack-style log rolling event and fall into the bucket. When you check it, you only have to grab the mice and fling them somewhere and leave the rest in place. The beauty is that there is no real limit to how many mice you can get per check!

This one is still getting mice now and I haven't refreshed that peanut butter since November! Also, I use the antifreeze for RV water tanks so after I fling the mice out into the woods, they would not be toxic if the girls or someone else would find one!

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: Patrice] #6466674
02/19/19 02:50 PM
02/19/19 02:50 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota

Rinse them off good and make Zim a New Gourmet dinner shocked

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: Patrice] #6466678
02/19/19 02:59 PM
02/19/19 02:59 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
I don't mean to hijack your thread, Snowy, but maybe a few people could benefit if they've never set up one of these!

[Linked Image]

Five gallon bucket, a dowel, an empty plastic bottle. Drill a couple holes near the top edge of the bucket and one through the bottom of the bottle and set up as shown so the bottle spins freely on the shaft. Add a couple inches of water (or RV antifreeze in winter) to the bottom of the bucket so mice drown. Apply a stripe of peanut butter around the middle of the bottle. Mice will get up there and crawl out to the peanut butter, engage in a lumberjack-style log rolling event and fall into the bucket. When you check it, you only have to grab the mice and fling them somewhere and leave the rest in place. The beauty is that there is no real limit to how many mice you can get per check!

This one is still getting mice now and I haven't refreshed that peanut butter since November! Also, I use the antifreeze for RV water tanks so after I fling the mice out into the woods, they would not be toxic if the girls or someone else would find one!

Oh thank you so much, Chickie !

Now I see just what to do .

Yes , this is beneficial ! Ive used and seen other types of bucket traps used on ranches, but I really like this concept.

Between keeping the population way down, as Bob Jameson mentioned, and the peppermint oil , that will be very efficient ADC work !

Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: Sharon] #6466725
02/19/19 04:10 PM
02/19/19 04:10 PM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline
trapper
Kermit  Offline
trapper
K

Ontario
There is a walk the plank as well. A magnet holds a board over the pail. Once they get out so far magnet lets go. Usually a screw to adjust the magnetic pull.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Walk-The-Plank-Rodent-Mouse-Rat-Trap-Auto-Reset-Mice-Catcher-Tool-NEW/273161685704?hash=item3f99b48ac8:m:mkUGKVV5hK-qXkgpQWo3TyQ

Or look on you tube for a video

Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: snowy] #6466795
02/19/19 05:27 PM
02/19/19 05:27 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
They only get in there when you turn it off.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: Scuba1] #6466817
02/19/19 05:44 PM
02/19/19 05:44 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by Scuba1
They only get in there when you turn it off.

grin

Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: Law Dog] #6466837
02/19/19 06:00 PM
02/19/19 06:00 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Seen a guy using Irish Spring soap to stop mice in the cab of his truck when I looked closer at the pieces they had teeth marks on them! LOL

I've caught a lot of red fox using chunks of Irish Spring for bait. True story !

Mean As Nails
Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: snowy] #6467432
02/20/19 09:15 AM
02/20/19 09:15 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Here's revision #15 for the Fur Shed... spring return with magnetic latch. Two inches of RV anti-freeze as Patrice mentioned, no smell and won't freeze.
[Linked Image]

Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: coonlove] #6467445
02/20/19 09:24 AM
02/20/19 09:24 AM
WI
H
handitrapper Offline
trapper
handitrapper  Offline
trapper
H

WI
Put a chunk of steelwool in the end of the exhaust pipe. Or in the exhaust can, as on a sled. A liberal amount of Bounty Dryer sheets within the motor compartment.

Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: snowy] #6467533
02/20/19 10:46 AM
02/20/19 10:46 AM
Wakefield, NE.
S
Sanford Otte Offline
trapper
Sanford Otte  Offline
trapper
S

Wakefield, NE.
For outside the trailer, storage shed, or house I take a 3" X 20" PVC pipe then I put end caps on it ( do not glue) and drill 3/4" holes centered on each cap. I can put around 20+ bait bars in the tube. It really slows down the mouse problem. One thing though is to drill a hole in the middle of the PVC so a gutter spike can go through and you can fasten to a piece of wood (post, bridge plank or 12" board) otherwise the coon want to play with it and who knows where it might end up at. With this setup you don't have to
worry about pets getting into the poison.

Last edited by Sanford Otte; 02/20/19 10:48 AM.
Re: What a way to keep mice out of engines [Re: snowy] #6467618
02/20/19 12:06 PM
02/20/19 12:06 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Hawk meal bait works better than blocks. The blocks have wax in them. The wax is kind of like a filler in my mind.

wanna be goat farmer.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread