Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
New experiment could go really bad #6463614
02/16/19 07:44 PM
02/16/19 07:44 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline OP
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
T

I am testing a thought I had. As I have previously noted I am new to predator trapping. So when I decided I was going to do it I ordered 3 dozen Duke 1 3/4 for coyotes and cats based off Dukes recommendations. Then I got what I think is smart and started watching a lot of YouTube and reading forums like this and articles I could find. I quickly realized the error of my ways and ordered 3 dozen #3 Bridgers. I ordered Expandapans for the Bridgers. I decided to only put the Expandapans on 1 dozen till I see how I like them. I also decided to see if the #3 Bridger pan would fit on the Duke 1 3/4. They do so I am going to take the dozen Bridger pans and put them on the Dukes effectively doubling my pan size. I've done one and night latched it and added brass washers to each side of the pan and adjusted it. I will be setting these for coon fox possum and skunk understanding that the last 2 can't be avoided. Wish me luck.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: New experiment could go really bad [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6463643
02/16/19 08:20 PM
02/16/19 08:20 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Testing for your self is the best way.

Re: New experiment could go really bad [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6466131
02/18/19 11:38 PM
02/18/19 11:38 PM
NC
T
Troutman201818 Offline
trapper
Troutman201818  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Sounds good to me look into laminated your number 3s if you haven't already and I always reccomend shock springs even if your only trapping for fox it helps with the lunge of big coyotes, and saves any wear and tear on their paws. Try different sets and try different bait and lure combinations to see what works in your area. Good Luck post pics of the catches!!!

Re: New experiment could go really bad [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6467128
02/19/19 10:10 PM
02/19/19 10:10 PM
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline OP
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
T

Well the Bridger pans fit on the 1 3/4 Dukes but it didn't significantly increase the kill area and I ended up needing them for the Bridger's so I went back to the originals. I also tried a 3 1/2 " round junction box cover but I would have had to do A LOT of grinding. I did put in brass washers on each side of the pan connection. I'm changing all the chain on the #3 Bridger's to #3 select with crunch proofs. Crunch proof at trap 6 links crunch proof, shock spring, crunch proof, 15 links of chain and crunch proof. I'm also welding on Expandapans, reinforcing the dogs. putting a washer in the pan connection, bubble tipping the jaw ends and tack welding the frames and base plates as well as tacking all the swivels. I plan on running most of them on drags ( Saber Tooth) with 8 feet of chain crunch proofed at each end for now. I'm also reinforcing the dogs and base plating the 1 3/4 dukes, Tacking the frames and putting the heavier Bridger chains on the Dukes with the better swivels.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91