No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6468854
02/21/19 01:47 PM
02/21/19 01:47 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
P.S. I cant help you in your failure to comprehend written English.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6468894
02/21/19 02:39 PM
02/21/19 02:39 PM
Chandler,Indiana USA
N
Netman Offline
trapper
Netman  Offline
trapper
N

Chandler,Indiana USA
So was I right about the mad catters being like PETA? Sako and Magis are exactly what I was warning about. Now get several of them together lead by Steve Douglas and you will have a sister organization of PETA. They are exactly like anti trapping organizations.

Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469062
02/21/19 05:49 PM
02/21/19 05:49 PM
robertson co ky
S
sako22 Offline
trapper
sako22  Offline
trapper
S

robertson co ky
To each their own I guess. I am in no way shape or form supportive of PETA or any other anti organizations. I absolutely support hunting.fishing and trapping rights. I just have a problem with taking a 70 pound pound catfish out of it's native habitat to die in an oversized mud puddle for no reason other than a dollar. But it's no big deal I reckon. They die out and there is another truckload to replace them. But apparently there is a never ending supply of big fish in the river so no damage at all is getting done to the population. So i guess i'll just go to the conference tomorrow and browse and look at all the boats and equipment that i like to use fish with a heavy heart and guilty conscience for feeling the way i do about this. Who knows, i might even see some fellow hunters, trappers and no talent catfish fishermen there also . Carry on boys, I'm out.

Re: Catfish Conference [Re: danny clifton] #6469067
02/21/19 05:53 PM
02/21/19 05:53 PM
Kentucky
A
Abu65 Offline OP
trapper
Abu65  Offline OP
trapper
A

Kentucky
Originally Posted by danny clifton
You two, just like the boneheads at PETA , are trying to stop a commercial harvest that does ZERO damage to the resource. You are doing it because of your failure to catch "trophy" fish and instead of looking in the mirror to find out who is responsible your blaming people who make a living at it.

Commercial fishing is not what this post was about. I was simply asking if anyone was coming to the conference. However since some of you have brought it up I can't help but to play along. I for one have never said I was against the commercial harvest of catfish. Anything that is unregulated can destroy a species. Examples would be Buffalo and the Canvasback duck as being 2 species that survived. Homing pigeons were not so lucky. I do believe that there should be regulations on any natural resource. I do not understand how they can do that without harming peoples lively hood that are deep rooted into that life style. There are reasons why you are not allowed to commercial harvest deer, Crappie, Bass etc. There are reasons that they regulate the harvest of fur. That does not make anyone like PETA. Your comment is the same as saying if someone self regulates themselves to only trapping 2 Beaver out of 1 lodge so that they can sustain a healthy population of Beaver to trap that they are like PETA and that's just asinine.

I do have one question that you can probably can answer since you seem to be knowledgeable on this subject. Why are the Departments of fish and wildlife pushing so hard for the commercial fishing of Asian carp?

It is what it is.
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469084
02/21/19 06:04 PM
02/21/19 06:04 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
FYI, bison and passager pigeons were not done in by hunting regulated or not. They were done in by ecological changes due to overpopulation and disease.

[Linked Image]
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469115
02/21/19 06:26 PM
02/21/19 06:26 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Jmo Abu, but you won't find many here who support a group which is killing the way people make a living off the land. Me included.

Re: Catfish Conference [Re: warrior] #6469122
02/21/19 06:31 PM
02/21/19 06:31 PM
Kentucky
A
Abu65 Offline OP
trapper
Abu65  Offline OP
trapper
A

Kentucky
Originally Posted by hippie
Jmo Abu, but you won't find many here who support a group which is killing the way people make a living off the land. Me included.

Maybe I don't know what we are getting into. Supposed to be a lot of tackle , boats and gear etc. And they are also having a a catfish cooking contest. I think it will be real nice seeing all the stuff the different vendors have. I've been to trapping events and I enjoyed those. Who knows.

Originally Posted by warrior
FYI, bison and passager pigeons were not done in by hunting regulated or not. They were done in by ecological changes due to overpopulation and disease.
You seem like you have a lot of smarts why don't you answer my question.

It is what it is.
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469124
02/21/19 06:35 PM
02/21/19 06:35 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Maybe think this way Abu, why not stop recreational fishing so the guys making a living can keep doing so? Ever look at it from that side? That is if the fish population is the main concern.

Last edited by hippie; 02/21/19 06:39 PM.
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469137
02/21/19 06:48 PM
Kentucky
A
Abu65 Offline OP
trapper
Abu65  Offline OP
trapper
A

Kentucky
Like I've said this post was not about commercial fishing. However maybe you just want to debate, I don't know. They can force you to throw all your fish back, catch and release there are a lot of fishermen that would still fish, I would. I do eat a lot of the fish I catch but I would still fish if I couldn't keep any. I know a lot of bass fishermen that never eat a fish they catch.

It is what it is.
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469138
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
commercial fishing for Asian carp is already legal. game depts. are not pushing anything. there is NO market for them.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469144
02/21/19 06:52 PM
02/21/19 06:52 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
This post is absolutely about commercial fishing because the folks putting on your little soiree want to end it the same way they did on the Missouri river. Furthermore they ARE whining about commercial fisherman catching more big fish than they are. The catch of big fish is not diminished the experts writing for in fisherman just cant catch them

Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469145
02/21/19 06:53 PM
02/21/19 06:53 PM
Arkansas
J
J Staton Offline
trapper
J Staton  Offline
trapper
J

Arkansas
Catfish are a resource that should be utilized whether for fun, money, or a meal. As long as managed to sustain resource, method of take matters not. Imo.

James 1: 19-20
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469272
02/21/19 08:58 PM
02/21/19 08:58 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Abu65
Examples would be Buffalo and the Canvasback duck as being 2 species that survived. Homing pigeons were not so lucky. I do believe that there should be regulations on any natural resource.

The population of canvasback ducks shrunk some. It was due to habitat loss and the population never got dangerously low.

The United States has never had a wild population of buffalo. We do have bison.

Homing pigeons are a very common domestic pigeon. There are millions of homing pigeons in the United States and probably billions in the world.

Catfish population growth is mainly limited by nesting sites. Like most fish, catfish produce a phenomenal number of eggs. New catfish are quick to take over and use an empty nesting site. Without a proper nesting site, very few catfish spawn survive.

Commercial cat fishing should be left as it is. There are not enough people doing it to make much of a difference and it's good for a man to earn a living from nature. You would think a trapper could grasp this.

I hate the new restrictions Ohio has imposed on keeping large catfish. The restrictions just make catch and release tournament fisherman happy. Catch and release kills and more importantly wastes a valuable resource. I saw 60 some dead large mouth bass "released" in one tournament at CJ Brown Reservoir last year. I don't think catch and release should be illegal, but it definitely should not be praised. Dumping large numbers of large dead fish back in a lake, at a public dock, should be ilegal.

Keith

Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469339
02/21/19 10:00 PM
02/21/19 10:00 PM
Kentucky
A
Abu65 Offline OP
trapper
Abu65  Offline OP
trapper
A

Kentucky
Passenger pigeon. I made a mistake. Second one today the first one was making this post. Once again I was simply wanting to know if any of you all were going to attend the event. Then the argumentative tribe chimes in. That’s the glory of the internet though you can say what you want to whomever you want. Much different than face to face conversations. It’s the same old thing with the Trapperman click. I don’t know how many people I see stop posting because of this type of behavior.

It is what it is.
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469381
02/21/19 10:38 PM
02/21/19 10:38 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
" I don’t know how many people I see stop posting because of this type of behavior."

Jones comes to mind. Like to hear his take on this.

Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469406
02/21/19 11:21 PM
02/21/19 11:21 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
There is a rule on this forum about posting links to anti sites. "catfish conference " is close enough.

I was raised in commercial fishing that no longer exists here. Trophy fisherman, or hunters for that matter, sort of tick me off. I angle, but if I could put a hoop net or a gill net in the water, I would. It's a whole lot quicker and you don't have to spend all that time angling.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: KeithC] #6469494
02/22/19 01:32 AM
02/22/19 01:32 AM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline
trapper
ol' dad  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Originally Posted by KeithC
Examples would be Buffalo and the Canvasback duck as being 2 species that survived. Homing pigeons were not so lucky. I do believe that there should be regulations on any natural resource.

Catfish population growth is mainly limited by nesting sites. Like most fish, catfish produce a phenomenal number of eggs. New catfish are quick to take over and use an empty nesting site. Without a proper nesting site, very few catfish spawn survive.

Keith

That is correct! I'd hate to guess the ratio of catfish to nesting sites in a major tributary such as the Mississippi River.

ol'dad

"I season my food with hunger"
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6469522
02/22/19 05:17 AM
02/22/19 05:17 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I plan to be in Springfield for the NTA show

Re: Catfish Conference [Re: KeithC] #6470134
02/22/19 06:14 PM
02/22/19 06:14 PM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
Originally Posted by KeithC

The population of canvasback ducks shrunk some. It was due to habitat loss and the population never got dangerously low.

The United States has never had a wild population of buffalo. We do have bison.

Homing pigeons are a very common domestic pigeon. There are millions of homing pigeons in the United States and probably billions in the world.

Commercial cat fishing should be left as it is. There are not enough people doing it to make much of a difference and it's good for a man to earn a living from nature. You would think a trapper could grasp this.

I hate the new restrictions Ohio has imposed on keeping large catfish. The restrictions just make catch and release tournament fisherman happy. Catch and release kills and more importantly wastes a valuable resource. I saw 60 some dead large mouth bass "released" in one tournament at CJ Brown Reservoir last year. I don't think catch and release should be illegal, but it definitely should not be praised. Dumping large numbers of large dead fish back in a lake, at a public dock, should be ilegal.

Keith

I disagree in regards to catch and release, at least the way I do it. I have fly fished all over the country, and in reality the world, and I rarely keep a fish. I can't even begin to count how many fish I have released over the years.

I have read the studies on catch and release and can tell you some are for it, and others suggest it isn't very effective. This isn't really any different than most things these days...poke around long enough and you can find a study supporting your point of view.

To work correctly I feel it is all about technique and handling the fish. Get them landed as quick as you can, handle them as little as possible, and try to keep them in the water while removing the hook. If you do pull them from the water get them back in as quickly as possible. Many guys get in trouble with catch and release because they hold fish out of the water for extended periods of time trying to get that perfect photo. Make that photo quick and get them back in.

Barbless hooks are a huge plus for this. Every fly I tie these days is barbless and I accomplish this by pinching the barb before I even slip the hook in my vise.

I have no experience with the tournaments where guys keep fish in live wells only to be released after weigh-ins. It seems as if these fish go through a fair amount of stress, and I can see where survival is lessened in a situation like this.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Catfish Conference [Re: Abu65] #6470267
02/22/19 08:26 PM
02/22/19 08:26 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I don't have a problem with catch and release or catch and eat. I have a big problem with the idea that commercial fishing is less important than sport fishing. Taking a mans business away to make a guy recreating happy is just crazy. The world has a lot of catfish in it. They have been commercially harvested for centuries and they are still plentiful. The resource is not being harmed which is the only reason to stop something. Im all about sustainable harvest and that is exactly what we have. This whole conundrum is the result of jealousy and calling an animal a trophy.

Sako 22 a snaring season to harvest big bucks makes more sense than darting them. In the early spring when they lose their antlers it would be easy and more effective than stand hunting with a dart gun. To answer your question it wouldn't bother me one bit. Still be plenty of deer meat to be had and catching and selling "trophy" bucks would not only be a money maker IT WOULD NOT LOWER DEER POPULATIONS AT ALL> SUSTAINABILITY.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread