No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
How long do Weasels stay white? #6468359
02/21/19 01:25 AM
02/21/19 01:25 AM
SE Minnesota
D
Driftlesstrapper Offline OP
trapper
Driftlesstrapper  Offline OP
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
I'm in southeastern MN and looking to set some weasel traps within the next week to try for my first one. I don't want to catch a weasel that is in its turning phase and was wondering if anyone knows how long until they typically start changing back to their brown summer coat. Does the amount of snow on the ground affect this, or is it purely on the change in daylight present each day?

Re: How long do Weasels stay white? [Re: Driftlesstrapper] #6468378
02/21/19 02:45 AM
02/21/19 02:45 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
I don't know the answer to your question. But some of the coolest looking ermine pelts that I've ever seen are when they are changing color. It isn't an instant process but rather takes place over a period of time. When the white starts to become brown (or vice versa) the mixed colors can be really pretty. Just saying.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: How long do Weasels stay white? [Re: Driftlesstrapper] #6468543
02/21/19 09:25 AM
02/21/19 09:25 AM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
The change to summer pelage will not occur for some time BUT in your area they are already well past pure white. Most begin to yellow by mid-January and continue to get nastier as spring progresses. Figure to begin trapping for them Thanksgiving week or the week after and trap for no longer than 6 weeks.

Re: How long do Weasels stay white? [Re: Driftlesstrapper] #6468940
02/21/19 03:40 PM
02/21/19 03:40 PM
Ohio
HondaXR250 Offline
trapper
HondaXR250  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Good luck on the weasels! I just made up a couple boxes, and have had them out for a couple weeks. Not a single weasel. Only deer mice, a vole, and possibly a coon. I dont think weasels exist here

Re: How long do Weasels stay white? [Re: wissmiss] #6468941
02/21/19 03:47 PM
02/21/19 03:47 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Originally Posted by wissmiss
I don't know the answer to your question. But some of the coolest looking ermine pelts that I've ever seen are when they are changing color. It isn't an instant process but rather takes place over a period of time. When the white starts to become brown (or vice versa) the mixed colors can be really pretty. Just saying.

A couple of year back in the auction thing heated up when the II and the III were offered and these went higher than prime pets.( there must to been a demand for a movie that was in the works)

The yellow is from spray and urine and not molt.
The backside of the pelage gets a off-white or yellow hue when they start to molt.

2 degrees of latitude is a weeks change in molt......elevation is another factor

Re: How long do Weasels stay white? [Re: Driftlesstrapper] #6469408
02/21/19 11:22 PM
02/21/19 11:22 PM
SE Minnesota
D
Driftlesstrapper Offline OP
trapper
Driftlesstrapper  Offline OP
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
Thanks for all of the responses guys, some very interesting info. Is there anything that can be done to fix the yellowing of the fur after you have caught one?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread