No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Alaska Ptarmigan [Re: snowy] #6469808
02/22/19 11:29 AM
02/22/19 11:29 AM
West Chester Ohio
R
Randy H Offline
trapper
Randy H  Offline
trapper
R

West Chester Ohio
Sue is so smart, she can do more than any man, and she will tell you that also. Real good shot too

Re: Alaska Ptarmigan [Re: snowy] #6469825
02/22/19 11:52 AM
02/22/19 11:52 AM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
The Willow ptarmigan is a strange bird. If I tried to hunt them on foot, they would flush wild. But I could drive my snow machine right into the middle of a flock and snipe them with the .22 until I ran out of shells. It was common to see flocks of several THOUSAND birds.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Alaska Ptarmigan [Re: snowy] #6469865
02/22/19 12:37 PM
02/22/19 12:37 PM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

From my experience overcast flat light days even snowing they tend to run from you. Bright clear days they will take flight and are gone.

Re: Alaska Ptarmigan [Re: snowy] #6469869
02/22/19 12:40 PM
02/22/19 12:40 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Ptarmigan are neat grouse. I have shot them (Willow) in Quebec while doing the now hunt-of-the-past drive up caribou trip. They were, at least where we were, rather daffy. You could swat them real easy along the roads. They seemed to be long distance movers though (hence the darker breast meat). We'd see flocks lift up along the road as we drove, and sometimes those flocks just kept on flying....like ducks, they'd go several miles before setting back down. They, at least the Willow variety, are migratory in places and will shift their range from summer to winter, sometimes by long distances. They have migrated from the sub-arctic areas of Ontario to, at times, as far south as northern Minnesota. Last winter there was even one Willow Ptarmigan along the north shore of Lake Ontario near Toronto! I have not eaten any Rock or White Tailed Ptarmigan. As far as I know, Colorado has a season on the barn pigeon sized White Tailed Ptarmigan. I know of people going way up above 11,000 feet and shooting them in the past. I believe the air would be too thin for my worthless lungs at that elevation. Edit....the "Red Grouse" of Scotland fame is a sub-specie of Willow Ptarmigan.

Last edited by J.Morse; 02/22/19 12:43 PM.

Re: Alaska Ptarmigan [Re: snowy] #6469877
02/22/19 12:52 PM
02/22/19 12:52 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
Wolverine Hunter Offline
trapper
Wolverine Hunter  Offline
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
I have a keen interest in this myself - because it's on my bucket list, and because I have a new bird dog that is now 18 months old. Last fall, we went on a big tour of Alaska - me and my pup "Sam Elliott". We hunted HARD all along the Denali Highway. The Taylor Highway. The Richardson. And even down to Valdez. This was September/October - before any snow. I shot a lot of spruce grouse, but never one ptarmigan.

There is a guy who wrote a book on bird hunting in Alaska. I forget his name at the moment, but I think he is on the alaska outdoor forum quite a bit. His book is hard to get a hold of, but I think the general consensus is, cover ground on a vehicle without spending tons of time on your feet, until you lay eyes on them, or on their sign. I think he invests a lot of time in using his binoculars in winter, and looking for tracks. Then goes after them.

I also think winter is key because they group into large flocks. High country and willows are key. Most of the ones I have seen were randomly, in the high country - while hiking or hunting big game.

Re: Alaska Ptarmigan [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #6469919
02/22/19 01:32 PM
02/22/19 01:32 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Wolverine Hunter
I also think winter is key because they group into large flocks. High country and willows are key. Most of the ones I have seen were randomly, in the high country - while hiking or hunting big game.

Ptarmigan country.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread