No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6475441
02/27/19 04:46 PM
02/27/19 04:46 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
dad had a nice set-up i plan to use someday.

Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6475503
02/27/19 06:10 PM
02/27/19 06:10 PM
Holmes Co. Ohio
K
Killbuck Offline
trapper
Killbuck  Offline
trapper
K

Holmes Co. Ohio
Most I made were before you were born. A few years ago I got a "Tackle Craft " catalog from Cabelas that had a lot of good stuff.

Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6475532
02/27/19 06:50 PM
02/27/19 06:50 PM
NY
V
VH60 Offline
trapper
VH60  Offline
trapper
V

NY
Wolfdog i've built quite a few rods and you do NOT need expensive equipment to make them . My first 7-8 rods or so were made using a long cardboard box with V notches cut in the ends to support the rod . The spool of thread used for wrapping was held in a t-cup , the thread was run through the pages of a book with books stacked above and below to adjust the height and tension of the thread . The cork handles were turned with a drill and mandrels made from wooden dowels . Given your resourcefulness you'll be able to make your own equipment . What would be a good purchase is a low rpm finishing motor for when you coat your wraps etc .

Last edited by VH60; 02/27/19 07:38 PM.
Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6475535
02/27/19 06:59 PM
02/27/19 06:59 PM
WV
G
garymc Offline
trapper
garymc  Offline
trapper
G

WV
I have built several I started off like VH60 with a simple cardboard box with v notches cut in it. Later I built a setup like Danny’s. You don’t need a lot of fancy equipment. Start out simple then as you build a few you will learn what tools that might make you more efficient. I don’t own a turner/dryer. I rotate with my fingers to wrap and coat. Once coated I will let sit and rotate 90 degrees every 5-10 minutes until setup.

I use my same setup to thread wrap and epoxy wingbone turkey calls

Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6476338
02/28/19 02:45 PM
02/28/19 02:45 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ok my first question for the day is about rod blanks. I currently wanna build a cat fish rod but mainly for catching smaller cats. 10 lbs average mabye a rare 20lb . I'm a bank fisherman and most of what I fish are larger ponds smaller lakes. I do a good bit of longer casts and I also like my rods to be on the lighter end because it makes for a better fight. Most of the rods rods in the store are either too short for casting are too bulky and stiff to really get a fight out of smaller fish or just plain to much.

I'd like to make something similar to the design of a surf rod i guess. Long handed smaller diameter rod blank but still something on the strong side. Think 8' would be perfect. Most likely a spinner but wouldn't mind a baitcaster either what would y'all recommended for blanks ?

Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: danny clifton] #6476343
02/28/19 02:47 PM
02/28/19 02:47 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I built my own rod wrapper. turn it by hand. Works fine. Just to build a few for yourself friends and family you don't need a lot of expensive stuff. I hot glue guides on before wrapping. works good. Makes it easy to move one a bit so they are lined up. The wrap is what actually secures them. It is hard to find good catfish and spoonbill rods. Those hollow rods just don't hold up. I buy solid fiberglass from Janns. If you want lighter and hollow, they sell some high end blanks also.

This is what I built for wrapping. I use upholstery thread. Will just about cut your hand if you break it its so strong. springs are to put tension on the spool so wraps are tight.

Coydog you could easy use a jig like this to replace the top half of a rod. just buy a joint for making a two piece rod and the appropriate blank or cannibalize an old pole you already have.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

sorry about the dust haven't used it in at least a year. a dowel rod is holding the spool through the center so it can turn even though you cant see it.

Love it ! Looking at something like that with a old drill rigged up to spin the rod

Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6476608
02/28/19 06:53 PM
02/28/19 06:53 PM
WV
G
garymc Offline
trapper
garymc  Offline
trapper
G

WV
I have used some of the E-Glass blanks from Mudhole. I used them mostly for pond cat fishing, but they were tough rods. Used to get blanks for 5-10 dollars I see on the website they have went up a bit but still reasonable. I don’t know if the current models are as good, worse, or better. Most of mine are 10-15 years old.

Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6477026
03/01/19 07:44 AM
03/01/19 07:44 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
these are not hollow. 6 feet long but you could shorten them easy enough. All rod blanks have a direction they like to bend. Grab the tip with the other end on the floor and bend the rod. they have a tendency to turn to side they want to bend on. that's the side your guides go on.
https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/solid-fiberglass-rod-blanks/026125000008.aspx

these are very durable reel seats. they work for spinning or bait cast reels.
https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/saltwater-reel-seats/280476.aspx
[Linked Image]
The handle is turned on a lathe. any hardwood works. its two piece meeting in the center of the seat. that ring on the rod end was cut off an old dip net handle. keeps it from splitting out. the rod half of the two piece handle is drilled before turning. turn your rod end to the pre drilled hole so it is straight and centered. the reel seat joins the two halves together. I glue it with a two part epoxy. Before gluing scoring the inside of the seat with some 60 grit sand paper and it wont come undone. I use the same glue to put the rod into the handle.

no complaints with these guides. you need larger for spinning reels than you do bait casting. go to Walmart and look at some rods. bring a tape measure or look at rods you already have
https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/pacific-bay-doublefoot-guides/

nothing fancy about these poles but the one in the picture is at least 20 years old. not my first choice for jigging crappies or flipping lures bass fishing, but drifting for or bank fishing for cat fish hard to beat. I use the same design only larger rod for flathead and spoonbill. solid fiberglass is VERY durable

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6477104
03/01/19 09:39 AM
03/01/19 09:39 AM
De
C
coop Offline
trapper
coop  Offline
trapper
C

De
Friend of mine made a rod turner from an old BBQ rotisserie motor... seems to work fine.

Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6491226
03/14/19 10:05 PM
03/14/19 10:05 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Well after looking and reading and watching I think what I'm going to try first is a CRB eglass rod and one of netcrafts solid fiberhlass rods.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
As far as the grips I really like the para cord grips done on the Meathunter custom rods so I think I'll do that instead of cork or EVA foam..
Now right now I'm just confused about reel seats. Do you just buy any reel seat and use tap arbors and epoxy to fit it or am I missing something ? I see sizes are normally 14-20 . Is this for different size reels or for fitting to blanks ?

Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6491319
03/15/19 02:31 AM
03/15/19 02:31 AM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
You can get a very strong reel seat made by Fuji that will never rust without spending a lot. Try to get the I.D. about 1/8" to 1/4" larger than the blank is where you'll mount the seat. Then build up three separate tightly wrapped bands of masking tape to a good fit that will leave room for epoxy. Then cover the three bands of tape and all exposed areas of the blank and the sides of each tape band with a 20 or 30 minute epoxy then mount the seat. It is much easier than fitting arbors and very strong if you do it right. If you want to do arbors, by all means they are great, but I've built tons of fresh and saltwater rods with the tape and never had a failure.

As said above a cardboard box and running thread through a book will work great, even for more complex wraps with trim or spirals. Wrapping machines are great for commercial production but I've built hundreds of rods without one and in fact I wrap in my hands without a cardboard box. You can use D size thread on a catfish rod but size A will look better if you do a good job. Don't leave thread tags sticking out of the wraps or they'll turn into little mountains with epoxy on them. You can trim and then use a lighter to singe them off, or better yet learn to bury the e nd under your wraps as you pull it through by cutting it to length before you pull the loop through.

A slow speed motor for your finishing is important. They aren't too expensive but a crafty guy like you can probably build one out of a barbecue rotisserie or something. Just buy a Flex-Coat kit and follow their instructions to a T when mixing and do it in two coats. One will never look right. Flex Coat has a great video on correct mixing. If you mess up the mixing you can get epoxy that will never fully harden.

File your guide feet so the thread doesn't have to "jump up" onto the end of the foot, and keep your wraps consistent in width on both sides of the guide. Don't worry about using the lightest guides available. On a rod like that stronger guides will last longer.

If you can, get a human being on the phone and buy everything at the same time.

Good luck.

Pete

Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6491331
03/15/19 05:09 AM
03/15/19 05:09 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Ones I build are lots simpler than what a lot build. With a lathe turned handle I turn the part that is going inside the reel seat a tad loose. When I put the two pieces together they meet in the middle of the seat. I coat one with epoxy then wrap a piece of cloth around it to tighten it up. More epoxy on the cloth. You don't want to use much cloth so don't make the handle to loose. That epoxy is a pretty good lube when it hasn't started to set up. Do both halves at the same time. That cloth makes it strong and wont come loose. The hole the rod goes in is straight not tapered like the blank. a small strip of cloth and epoxy right inside the handle. T he bottom of the hole should be pretty snug.

I've never bought a handle. Here are some I have put together over the years. Got tired of rods I paid a lot for not holding up. The black foam handle was salvaged from a hollow pole that snapped in half one day. The fiberglass blank goes all the way through that one.

[Linked Image]

This is just upholstery thread. Same stuff I sew pelts up with.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by danny clifton; 03/15/19 05:18 AM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Anyone build fishing rod ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6501784
03/26/19 02:05 PM
03/26/19 02:05 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
So everyone I got my blank in today aaand honestly it's a little big diameter wise but I think I can still work with it! Now I it's kinda stuff for a medium action 8ft rod but then again it's a salt water blank and for less than $26 I don't think I can complain too much. That being said the only thing I messed up on was the reel seat lol. I got a size 16 because that looked like the most common size that( and they had the color i wanter lol )but I think I'll go a 20 this go around. On the bright side ! Now that I have a blank and some components I know what I want now and I can practice on my handle wrapping grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread