No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: swift4me] #6471522
02/23/19 10:52 PM
02/23/19 10:52 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Originally Posted by swift4me
Tactical.20....

Thanks, but we have plenty to hunt here. I get to hunt roe deer from June first until the end of February, plus wild boar and red fox all year. No duck hunting or turkeys, but a guy can't complain. I can trap 15,000 acres without asking permission, so things are OK.

Pete

Always fun to learn about other places

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: bucksnbears] #6471532
02/23/19 11:01 PM
02/23/19 11:01 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline OP
trapper
Osky  Offline OP
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by bucksnbears
The Swift will do just a " bit" better than a 22-250 but with a whole more cost.
I'd hold on and not sell it if possible.
Keep it mint and sell for good $ iffn you need it..
You're too dam old too hunt anyway!

Too old to hunt am I ???. You notice I'm using it at 500 yards, were it not for something in my eye I'd be doing that with open sites.

Osky

But you are right, I'm thinking of letting it go and maybe finding the same gun in a .243 as if I need another one in that caliber.

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Osky] #6471557
02/23/19 11:27 PM
02/23/19 11:27 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
You can't even see 500 yards. The do carry eyeglasses that may be able to help you though.
There is a hardware store that carries them but I forget the name of it?

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Osky] #6471586
02/23/19 11:51 PM
02/23/19 11:51 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
now your talking Osky….make me miss my bull barreled Rem 700 from mid 70's with a Fecker 15x scope...…..you rat...……..lol
Dad and I set that up to shoot crows and chucks out past .222 Rem range and it was neat to see a black puff of feathers out past 400.
Wow, I forgot about that gun.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: bucksnbears] #6471588
02/23/19 11:53 PM
02/23/19 11:53 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC

LOL...BnB..I get my shooting and welding glasses for $1 from ACE Hardware, since the magnification is the entire lens and not just at the bottom like my bifocals.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Osky] #6471671
02/24/19 02:17 AM
02/24/19 02:17 AM
Hot Springs SD
L
Larry Bowden Offline
trapper
Larry Bowden  Offline
trapper
L

Hot Springs SD
Bought a new 77V swift about 1979 with the 26" varmint barrel. After floating the barrel it shot like a dream. Many a coyote fell to the old swift and I still have it today. Also have a Remington 700 classic swift also bought new about 1991. Floated the barrel and bedded the action and she has killed many a coyote. Have killed lion, antelope, whitetail and mule deer with my Swifts also. Luckily both my guns like the same bullet and load. I use Sierra 52 gr. match hollow points, IMR 4064 and CCI BR2 primers. I prefer not to shoot bobcat or fox with my swifts unless they are 200 yards plus. I have tried many bullets looking for the most fur friendly bullet and the Sierra 52 is the best for what I shoot. I have never met a swift that didn't like IMR 4064 powder. Both of my guns have the factory barrels which I clean often and the accuracy is still very good. I believe most people who bad mouth the swift either have very little experience with it or do not clean and take care of their barrels. Just my two cents and almost 40 years of practical experience with the Swift.

Western SD Fur Harvesters, SDTA, NTA, FTA and life member of NRA. Cancer survivor (7 years) and still fighting it.
Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Osky] #6471758
02/24/19 09:26 AM
02/24/19 09:26 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline OP
trapper
Osky  Offline OP
trapper
O

Northern MN
Traprj..... I.m glad it bring back good memories. I'm taken back at how many guys have used and like this caliber. It was always that interesting "shadow" caliber I always heard about.
I will tell you of two witnessed shots with my favorite gun. I knew the distances head of time but we shot it again after at 431. I was challenged to hit a small grapefruit size animal while I was standing but allowed to lean back against something which I did. I called the shot 12" up and 12" left into the 10-12 mph cross breeze. I made the shot. About 45 minutes later 2 crows were circling over the scene and I was challenged again. I took aim at the crow after it landed at the kill. I figured the same leads and standing in the same spot I tickled the trigger. Two poofs of black feathers. While concentrating on the first crow out there the other had hopped in line about 7' behind it which I wasn't aware of.

Larry B it's interesting that here and on the net where I've been searching it seems the 77V and the model 700 are the first two models generally mentioned, and the rest very good models as well. I will have someone load up the round you suggested, does it hold decent in the wind?

Bucks.... Now don't you worry over my eyesight. It's good enough to find that well worn snow machine trail to town and from there a blind man could find what I wanna see. Which is nice.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Osky] #6472374
02/24/19 07:22 PM
02/24/19 07:22 PM
Hot Springs SD
L
Larry Bowden Offline
trapper
Larry Bowden  Offline
trapper
L

Hot Springs SD
Osky, The bullet and load I quoted does do as good as any 22 caliber load in the wind. As you can tell I love my swifts. I like my swifts for antelope hunting but if it is very high wind I switch to my 25-06 with 100 gr. Nosler ballistic tips. I use IMR 4350 and CCI BR2 primers in it. For elk I use a 30-06 with 150 gr. Hornady BTSP's, IMR 4350 and CCI BR2's also.
The swift is still a pretty popular caliber here in the open country of the west. There are quite a few of them around here but nobody wants to sell them and there's a reason for that !!!!

Western SD Fur Harvesters, SDTA, NTA, FTA and life member of NRA. Cancer survivor (7 years) and still fighting it.
Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Osky] #6472379
02/24/19 07:28 PM
02/24/19 07:28 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline OP
trapper
Osky  Offline OP
trapper
O

Northern MN
Larry that's my second favorite 06 load as well. Federal premium 180 grains I like a bit more, they are devastating.

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Osky] #6472402
02/24/19 08:00 PM
02/24/19 08:00 PM
Hot Springs SD
L
Larry Bowden Offline
trapper
Larry Bowden  Offline
trapper
L

Hot Springs SD
Osky,
I believe you mention your swift is a #1 Ruger. If it doesn't group to your satisfaction you may need to find a gun smith who is familiar with #1 Ruger barrel bedding. I haven't had a #1 but have heard of bedding problems and needing a smith who has experience with them. My favorite smith (who is no longer practicing) had mentioned occasional bedding issues with # 1's.

I have had a retail firearms business for the past 14 years.
My youngest son wanted to remove my old 77V from my collection. He is an avid coyote caller and just about worshipped my old gun. I informed him he was not to take my old gun but I would do my best to find him an old 77V Swift in decent condition.
About 7 years later an old rancher walks into my shop one evening with just what we wanted. Seemed his daughter was moving to the city and he wanted to trade the rifle for a handgun to give her. It was obvious that it had been hauled around in a pickup quite a but the bore looked good. My question was why a rancher was willing to part with his 220 swift ? His reply was he wouldn't except he had bought two of them brand new in the late 1970's and he had the other one still in the box ! What a smart dude, I wish I had done that ! So we made the deal, that is the only 77V in 220 that I ever took on trade or bought used.
I cleaned it up and put my preferred Leupold 4x12 VX-2 scope on it after lapping the rings. I did take quite a bit of copper fouling out of the bore. It groups great with my favorite load and we haven't even floated the barrel.
Needless to say I have one happy son. I wish making his mother happy was that easy !
Enjoy your rifle.
Larry

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Osky] #6472433
02/24/19 08:21 PM
02/24/19 08:21 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline OP
trapper
Osky  Offline OP
trapper
O

Northern MN
That's a terrific story Larry. I hope your sending that rancher a card and free box of handgun rounds for the pistol he bought so he keeps you in mind should that V in the box become available.

I picked up a grimy dirty resemblance of a rifle from the end of a shelf in a gun shop west of Minneapolis maybe 30 years ago. Under the dirt and neglect was an old Remington 270 factory long barrel 721 I believe. Cleaned up like a reformed drunk, oiled stock and very decent browning became exposed. Like you some hard bore scrubbing. Most accurate factory rifle I own, it'll tear the same hole as far as you want to shoot it with good ammo.

Once the storm passes here I'll stretch this no 1 out. I can go safely out to just over 800 yards off the deck here but I'm going to curb it at 500.

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Osky] #6473325
02/25/19 03:57 PM
02/25/19 03:57 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Looking at what even used ones are bringing, I think you found a Diamond!

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: bucksnbears] #6473339
02/25/19 04:20 PM
02/25/19 04:20 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
You can't even see 500 yards. The do carry eyeglasses that may be able to help you though.

Maybe if you guys were younger you could just WALK closer to the target.

[Linked Image]

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Osky] #6477291
03/01/19 01:03 PM
03/01/19 01:03 PM
Chandler,Indiana USA
N
Netman Offline
trapper
Netman  Offline
trapper
N

Chandler,Indiana USA
I have a old tang safety Ruger 220 Swift. I’ve been told it has a factory Douglas barrel on it. I was standing in a sporting goods store parking lot when a elderly lady pulled up beside me. She had two firearms wrapped up in quilts in the trunk. She asked me if the store bought used guns. I replied I don’t know if they do but I sure will. She pulled out the first gun and it was a brand new Ruger 220 Swift with a 12 power Leupold scope on it. It still had the price tag on it and the scope was mounted with the crosshairs like a X and not a +. She said her husband bought the rifle to go prairie dog hunting but never did and had passed away. She said her grandchildren were not of the gun type so she thought she would try to sell them. I bought the Swift. The other gun was a brand new Remington 1100.
This was nearly thirty years ago. I finally got to be the guy with the money at the right place at the right time. I have killed a large number of coyotes with this rifle.

Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Osky] #6477296
03/01/19 01:08 PM
03/01/19 01:08 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline OP
trapper
Osky  Offline OP
trapper
O

Northern MN
160 I like that!! Does it come with a kit to mount a rifle scabbard?

Actually add a lead sled to the front and I would REALLY be in tall cotton.

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Any 220 swift guys here? [Re: Netman] #6477325
03/01/19 01:28 PM
03/01/19 01:28 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted by Netman
I have a old tang safety Ruger 220 Swift. I’ve been told it has a factory Douglas barrel on it. I was standing in a sporting goods store parking lot when a elderly lady pulled up beside me. She had two firearms wrapped up in quilts in the trunk. She asked me if the store bought used guns. I replied I don’t know if they do but I sure will. She pulled out the first gun and it was a brand new Ruger 220 Swift with a 12 power Leupold scope on it. It still had the price tag on it and the scope was mounted with the crosshairs like a X and not a +. She said her husband bought the rifle to go prairie dog hunting but never did and had passed away. She said her grandchildren were not of the gun type so she thought she would try to sell them. I bought the Swift. The other gun was a brand new Remington 1100.
This was nearly thirty years ago. I finally got to be the guy with the money at the right place at the right time. I have killed a large number of coyotes with this rifle.

Similar story for me...……..An elderly lady came into a local shop with a gun wrapped up in a blanket. They opened it up and it was a WWII vintage original BAR with the canvas case and extra barrel. She found it hidden after her husband had passed away. The shop told her to get that thing out of there! She asked what to do with it and they suggested finding a bridge somewhere to throw it off. I should have followed her outside!

I have nothing clever to put here.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread