No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tamohawk bobcat cage traps [Re: Mercer Lawing] #6480735
03/04/19 06:43 PM
03/04/19 06:43 PM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Originally Posted by Mercer Lawing
Turkey - the dimensions of those cages are an exact copy of mine (that is where the similarities end) and "what size is best" is probably the most common question I get. The reason they are narrow is because many years ago in a western desert two guys experimented and found it was fairly easy to get them into cage traps that were more narrow then the standard 18X18 trap available. Ten inches wide is what they settled on and then, in order to get more into a truck bed they made one a little smaller and one a little bigger. Most guys think bigger is better as it will make the cat more comfortable entering it. Perhaps true for some animals but not for cats. Size doesn't much matter.
Most guys running my stuff and making yearly good catches of cats out here like the smaller ones best because they hide better and fit into tight places. In fact getting big toms into the narrowest cage is actually the second easiest cat to catch. The easiest is the second cat into the same cage because of all the enticing cat smells inside. Most folks calling me for their first "cat cage" always want the biggest one for the reason previously mentioned, confidence. It really doesn't matter much as it is up to you to lure the cat in. The smallest one is a little more selective as it catches fewer dogs, pigs etc. The biggest one can be used to catch more dogs, , ,

Any of the sizes are fine. Ten inch is a happy spot.

ML

Well said!!

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: Tamohawk bobcat cage traps [Re: Turkeyeggsaver] #6480882
03/04/19 09:04 PM
03/04/19 09:04 PM
Virginia
T
Turkeyeggsaver Offline OP
trapper
Turkeyeggsaver  Offline OP
trapper
T

Virginia
Thank you Mercer and Hogagtrapper. Anybody else have any comments on cage traps for bobcats?

Re: Tamohawk bobcat cage traps [Re: Turkeyeggsaver] #6481544
03/05/19 01:10 PM
03/05/19 01:10 PM
Washington
F
Fishhunt223 Offline
trapper
Fishhunt223  Offline
trapper
F

Washington
I have several tomahawk cages and they are very well made traps. My only complaint is the lack of any type of pan tension adjustment. In northern climates, we use vaseline to keep our traps from freezing. On a sunny day, the black trap collects the heat and melts the vaseline, turning it in to a great lubricant. We have found several cages with doors closed and cat tracks all the way around the trap trying to get in. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread