No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Obama Warns Canada: Moose Ticks = Climate Change [Re: joepennanti] #6483707
03/07/19 01:51 PM
03/07/19 01:51 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
From Popular Science:

About 300,000 Americans are diagnosed annually with Lyme, with cases concentrated in the Northeast and upper Midwest, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The incidence of the disease has doubled in the United States since 1991, according to the EPA. And it’s about to get much worse, thanks to climate change.

“Warmer temperatures are making cold places suitable habitats for ticks, so new places are having Lyme disease cases, and endemic areas are having more cases than the average,” said Edson Severnini, assistant professor of economics and public policy at Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College, and co-author of a new study that predicts the incidence Lyme disease will rise around 21 percent by mid-century.

Climate change already has amplified the range of invasive insects that devour crops, destroy homes, and spread disease. “Tick-borne diseases are an important public health concern and the incidence of these infections is increasing in the United States and worldwide,” said Igor Dumic, the study’s lead author and a researcher at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science who has treated numerous Lyme patients. “Lyme disease is a classic example of the link between environmental factors and the occurrence and spread of disease.”

Re: Obama Warns Canada: Moose Ticks = Climate Change [Re: joepennanti] #6483739
03/07/19 02:27 PM
03/07/19 02:27 PM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Deer ticks carry Lyme Disease, and some moose are infested with winter ticks, they Are two different ticks. When I hunted moose in Maine in 2015, the locals told me that the winter ticks will not infest deer, bear, coyotes, humans etc.. Can anyone here confirm ?

Last edited by Squash; 03/07/19 02:27 PM.
Re: Obama Warns Canada: Moose Ticks = Climate Change [Re: RdFx] #6483787
03/07/19 03:10 PM
03/07/19 03:10 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by RdFx
Ive seen pictures of moose in alaska just coated in ticks plus their resting beds were red from blood fm squished ticks. Im sure some moose die fm being weak and harsh winter conditions and low food supplies.

? confused

Who is John Galt?
Re: Obama Warns Canada: Moose Ticks = Climate Change [Re: joepennanti] #6483806
03/07/19 03:23 PM
03/07/19 03:23 PM
minnesota
M
mnsota Offline
trapper
mnsota  Offline
trapper
M

minnesota
Never having killed a goose or even touched one, so dont know first hand but dont ticks and other creepy crawlers hitchhike on migrating birds?

I've heard that Robins are a carrier of ticks since they spend most of their time on the ground in the morning dew. Don't know if that is factual or not,but makes sense.

Re: Obama Warns Canada: Moose Ticks = Climate Change [Re: Squash] #6483912
03/07/19 05:55 PM
03/07/19 05:55 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Squash
Deer ticks carry Lyme Disease, and some moose are infested with winter ticks, they Are two different ticks. When I hunted moose in Maine in 2015, the locals told me that the winter ticks will not infest deer, bear, coyotes, humans etc.. Can anyone here confirm ?

Well by no means do I know much. But back14 yrs ago I was very sick from something of the tick nature. After quickly spending too much for nothing I did a lot of reading. What alot are saying is flies, mosquitoes, all ticks and others can carry it , they just dont have the mechanism in which to more or less puke it back so it gets in your blood which the deer tick has. I think most agree you can get it from blood of an infected animal, so use gloves when skinning. Lyme is a spirochete which is the same mechanism as which syphilis is carried. So you can transfer to others through any body fluids and or blood. The lyme bugs are smarter than the syphilis ones. I havent been up on it much lately, but the people in the know can never agree whether to call it bacteria or worms? The test they have test for antibodys and not the actual spirochete which leads into alot of guessing. There is no easy test to know if you have it or any test to know when your clean if ever. I have read where you can get blood at the very end of a finger where you can trap them and get them in the blood and see them with a electron microscope. When you kill the stuff off you will have a herx reaction which means your killing it but it dont stay gone for long, unless you can start drugs almost imediately after the infection before it gets in its 3 week cycle.

Im out of my league just talking about it, and so are alot of others. Some of the stuff i have read it seems to me some of the veterinarians are more in the know. I know a lot of suffering has gone on for too long. Its best not to get it, but Ive read where people in the city thats not ever even know of being bitten comes down with it.

Hopefully some of the genius people will invest some of their money in fighting lyme and less on global warming.

Re: Obama Warns Canada: Moose Ticks = Climate Change [Re: Saskayote] #6483943
03/07/19 06:42 PM
03/07/19 06:42 PM
ohio
J
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper
jctunnelrat  Offline
trapper
J

ohio
Originally Posted by Saskayote
Ticks have been a moose scourge since moose existed. The climate crisis idiots grab at anything. And no, Canada won’t keep him.

Please.

jim
Re: Obama Warns Canada: Moose Ticks = Climate Change [Re: gryhkl] #6483958
03/07/19 06:59 PM
03/07/19 06:59 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
Originally Posted by gryhkl
From Popular Science:

About 300,000 Americans are diagnosed annually with Lyme, with cases concentrated in the Northeast and upper Midwest, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The incidence of the disease has doubled in the United States since 1991, according to the EPA. And it’s about to get much worse, thanks to climate change.

“Warmer temperatures are making cold places suitable habitats for ticks, so new places are having Lyme disease cases, and endemic areas are having more cases than the average,” said Edson Severnini, assistant professor of economics and public policy at Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College, and co-author of a new study that predicts the incidence Lyme disease will rise around 21 percent by mid-century.

Climate change already has amplified the range of invasive insects that devour crops, destroy homes, and spread disease. “Tick-borne diseases are an important public health concern and the incidence of these infections is increasing in the United States and worldwide,” said Igor Dumic, the study’s lead author and a researcher at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science who has treated numerous Lyme patients. “Lyme disease is a classic example of the link between environmental factors and the occurrence and spread of disease.”

of COURSE there is a link between environmental factors and the occurrence and spread of disease.

what that study did NOT do, is prove a causation link between global warming and more Lyme. they may have both occurred at roughly the same time, but that does NOT establish a cause and effect relationship...

Science 101.

Last edited by white marlin; 03/07/19 07:01 PM.
Re: Obama Warns Canada: Moose Ticks = Climate Change [Re: joepennanti] #6484025
03/07/19 08:11 PM
03/07/19 08:11 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Here is a bad one. I think our local moose population was cut in half that winter.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread