Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
To hide your canine sets or not hide them? #6487951
03/11/19 02:04 PM
03/11/19 02:04 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
I trap a lot of public land. I know some of you trappers like to try to hide your sets maybe behind a bush or set a number of feet from the two track roads. Mark June in one of his dvds said that he will set no more than 6 feet from a road or trail even if it means losing some fur. Apparently, he feels that if you set any farther you will lose more fur with less chance of the coyote visiting the set. I use drags a lot but mostly to get the critter away from the set and not to hide the catch. I also tried the slide cables but it is more work. Your thoughts and what do you do when trapping in these type of areas.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6487990
03/11/19 03:18 PM
03/11/19 03:18 PM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
That’s a tough one. I trapped just over a hill from a 2 track when I lived in Idaho. One check I had a stick in both sets I had made so I pulled them and hiked back aways. It was about 30 min from the time I left the truck, till I started heading back. While making sets I heard ATVs driving down the 2 track which isn’t anything out of the ordinary on a Saturday. Got back to my truck and headed to the main rd. All of a sudden all my indicators on my dash go off and my truck locks up. I try starting it back up but don’t get anything but a load clunk. Pop the hood, check the oil, and it’s empty. Call my cousin who brings me 5 quarts, and I hear dripping under my truck as I pour the oil in. No oil plug. That’s when it hits me, someone loosened my oil plug. Called the Sheriff and he followed my cousin and I to where I mad those sets. Sure enough you could see where someone stepped off their ATV (wet sand), and slid under my truck. Good thing I got good overage on my insurance because I got the motor replaced and only had to pay a $500 deductible.

So if you do set close and find someone doesn’t like you there, don’t leave your truck unattended

If traps work like the Antis say......I would have no fingers.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488395
03/11/19 11:27 PM
03/11/19 11:27 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
I want all my sets within 3-5' of where the animal will already be- no one has a lure that works better than location. 6' off location is off location, period.
I also make every set so unnoticeable that I have stood next to one and conversed with a passerby on a few occasions, they never knew it was there. Once the catch is made, there really is no way to hide, so early morning checks are in order.
I am legal on the public property that I trap and they would be breaking a law if they tampered with my traps but why borrow trouble? It doesn't hurt to have the warden and the sheriff on speed dial, just in case.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6488407
03/12/19 12:02 AM
03/12/19 12:02 AM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
Originally Posted by cat_trapper_nv
That’s a tough one. I trapped just over a hill from a 2 track when I lived in Idaho. One check I had a stick in both sets I had made so I pulled them and hiked back aways. It was about 30 min from the time I left the truck, till I started heading back. While making sets I heard ATVs driving down the 2 track which isn’t anything out of the ordinary on a Saturday. Got back to my truck and headed to the main rd. All of a sudden all my indicators on my dash go off and my truck locks up. I try starting it back up but don’t get anything but a load clunk. Pop the hood, check the oil, and it’s empty. Call my cousin who brings me 5 quarts, and I hear dripping under my truck as I pour the oil in. No oil plug. That’s when it hits me, someone loosened my oil plug. Called the Sheriff and he followed my cousin and I to where I mad those sets. Sure enough you could see where someone stepped off their ATV (wet sand), and slid under my truck. Good thing I got good overage on my insurance because I got the motor replaced and only had to pay a $500 deductible.

So if you do set close and find someone doesn’t like you there, don’t leave your truck unattended
or park on top of a bear trap then they will have a good reason to dislike trappers

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488475
03/12/19 06:20 AM
03/12/19 06:20 AM
De
C
coop Online content
trapper
coop  Online Content
trapper
C

De
Yep, right along the 2 track or farm lane... maybe 2-3' back to mostly fox keep the spin circle out of the road depending on where I'm at... 6' or a little more I just squirt a shot of urine from the set to the road edge... just squeeze the squirt bottle and fling it, not a steady stream.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488486
03/12/19 06:48 AM
03/12/19 06:48 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
The snow told a pretty good story this year. Places I would have never imagined coyotes traveling it was very apparent they were traveling and a lot of times there were multiple coyotes traveling these areas. Unfortunately I found that a good majority of them were in straight view of the general public, and if you moved off this route the numbers of coyotes visiting these areas would decrease. For example at one place where a t-intersection hit another road there were 6-7 sets of tracks crossing the road. More than 50 feet into the section the coyotes went all different directions. Where I typically would set that section the number of tracks was down to one set and they weren't close to where I would normally set. The solution I decided I was going to catch coyotes. A couple of these were caught by Matt on our vacation line, but the location is the key. The weather made us trap like this for the most part. In the middle of sections we were busting drifts up to the doors most days.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488526
03/12/19 08:24 AM
03/12/19 08:24 AM
Pennsylvania
C
coalbank Offline
trapper
coalbank  Offline
trapper
C

Pennsylvania
Doesn't always work out but, getting to the most exposed sets early works well here. Had a friend along one day, his comment was that several of the sets were very exposed to public view.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488533
03/12/19 08:34 AM
03/12/19 08:34 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Hi guys, this was my reply on drags post. I don't use drags often but they sure do have their place.

I can some what steer the direction of departure with an angled stick driven into the ground, pointed the way I want him to go. Hook the drag so it will only slip off one way. One spot I use this is where I don't want him to go up, down, or across the road. Another is where I want him down over the edge. The words never or always do not apply here.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488551
03/12/19 08:56 AM
03/12/19 08:56 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
WB that is a well known trappers method of putting them where he wants them . He used a piece of 3/8” rebar driven at an angle and the top pointed in the direction he wants the coyote to travel . He uses this to put said coyote in the brush or on to ground where he has access.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488561
03/12/19 09:07 AM
03/12/19 09:07 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
I was told of this by a no name trapper probably 30 some years ago.
I had not read of it on the net but I have not yet finished the internet lol.
Doesn't hurt to reinvent common sense.

Asa talked of burying the drag under the trap, I have not done that.
Lots of ways to skin the cat.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488607
03/12/19 10:08 AM
03/12/19 10:08 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Yea buddy even the big names learned some things from other people ! I’ve not got much use for a drag here in corn country but thought it was a very ingenious way to move a coyote in the direction where you wanted him .

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488705
03/12/19 11:52 AM
03/12/19 11:52 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I have used that system but It pretty much only works when you have brush close by. If that brush Is 100s of yards away It's a toss up In what direction the coyote Is going to go.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Golf ball] #6488840
03/12/19 03:08 PM
03/12/19 03:08 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
trapper
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Hi guys, this was my reply on drags post. I don't use drags often but they sure do have their place.
I can some what steer the direction of departure with an angled stick driven into the ground, pointed the way I want him to go. Hook the drag so it will only slip off one way. One spot I use this is where I don't want him to go up, down, or across the road. Another is where I want him down over the edge. The words never or always do not apply here.

Originally Posted by Golf ball
WB that is a well known trappers method of putting them where he wants them . He used a piece of 3/8” rebar driven at an angle and the top pointed in the direction he wants the coyote to travel . He uses this to put said coyote in the brush or on to ground where he has access.

Excuse my naivety guys, but I don’t quite understand how the stick or rebar will steer the critter in the right direction. If I have a drag with a 10 foot chain and place the drag itself 10 foot behind the buried trap and I want the caught animal to also travel to the rear of the trap set, where do you place the stick and how far from the set? How does placing the stick at an angle help accomplish this?

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488849
03/12/19 03:25 PM
03/12/19 03:25 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
The drag will only come off the stick or rebar in the direction they are pointed . Drive the rebar pointed north at about a 30 degree angle and the drag can only come off if the coyote pulls to the north .

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Golf ball] #6488883
03/12/19 04:26 PM
03/12/19 04:26 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
trapper
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by Golf ball
The drag will only come off the stick or rebar in the direction they are pointed . Drive the rebar pointed north at about a 30 degree angle and the drag can only come off if the coyote pulls to the north .

Thanks. Got it.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488918
03/12/19 05:21 PM
03/12/19 05:21 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
And Like I said that's only for a few yards then the coyotes goes where It wants to go.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488948
03/12/19 05:57 PM
03/12/19 05:57 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
trapper
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Do you guys find that when a coyote is on a drag, it goes into the thicker cover or have you had any travel down the two track road after caught? I usually hook my drags to a thick shrub but it only gets it away a few feet from the set for the chain to tangle up but usually not from public view.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6488956
03/12/19 06:00 PM
03/12/19 06:00 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
trapper
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
I just read the other thread about drags.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6489430
03/13/19 08:00 AM
03/13/19 08:00 AM
Buggs Island, Va
lonewolf308 Offline
trapper
lonewolf308  Offline
trapper

Buggs Island, Va
This was my first year trapping and I exclusively trap on public lands. Luckily, for me after the last day of deer season (first week of January) there isn't a hunter in sight. I do run into the occasional hiker who acts like I'm the weird one walking in the woods in Jan. I only set coyote sets for a week this year, but all the fields and sign are within walking distance and are on trails. I am worried myself about what will happen when I check my traps late and a hiker or wildlife worker runs upon a coyote/fox chilling at the edge of a field in my trap. I will have to deal with it on a case by case basis. I'd hope they would have the respect to leave it alone. As far as my traps I doubt anyone would find them unless attached to a animal. IMO if your dog gets caught in my trap that's on you! Public hunting land is just that, if you want to walk your dog go to a park.

VTA member
Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6489638
03/13/19 11:43 AM
03/13/19 11:43 AM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME
I'm glad I trap in the east after reading these posts. My coyote sets are all on the edge of roads on timber land open to everyone. In the past nine years I have had a few traps driven on & about a dozen coyotes shot. To date nothing has been stolen.

[Linked Image]

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6489641
03/13/19 11:51 AM
03/13/19 11:51 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I lost the first wolf I ever caught (Canada) ran right down the mining road and as far as I could tell It never left the road.

The other thing about drags Is If you have much open ground and you get any type of snow fall your going to be doing a lot of searching If you made a catch before It snowed.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: The Beav] #6489700
03/13/19 12:50 PM
03/13/19 12:50 PM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
Originally Posted by The Beav
I lost the first wolf I ever caught (Canada) ran right down the mining road and as far as I could tell It never left the road.

The other thing about drags Is If you have much open ground and you get any type of snow fall your going to be doing a lot of searching If you made a catch before It snowed.

That can easily be solved buy purchasing a Lazarus trapline dog. Haha, I'll be running about 1/4 of my traps on drags this season. I'm hoping my lab can use his nose to find fur haha.

If traps work like the Antis say......I would have no fingers.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6489774
03/13/19 02:44 PM
03/13/19 02:44 PM
Saltlake city utah
S
Steelflight Offline
trapper
Steelflight  Offline
trapper
S

Saltlake city utah
All I will add to this is don't set on the side of a hiking trail. That's garunteed trouble.

You may think before you act. The question is did you listen to your own council?
Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Steelflight] #6490792
03/14/19 01:44 PM
03/14/19 01:44 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
trapper
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by Steelflight
All I will add to this is don't set on the side of a hiking trail. That's garunteed trouble.

I second that! Just had a problem not too far from where I live that made the local news although the sets where apparentlely legal. We need to use some common sense.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6491241
03/14/19 10:21 PM
03/14/19 10:21 PM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
Putting a loose peace of flagging tape on your drag and as the trapped animal leaves the trap site with the drag the tape will come off the drag showing you the direction the trap animal was going.

Re: To hide your canine sets or not hide them? [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6491964
03/15/19 09:24 PM
03/15/19 09:24 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
I re-read this just so I could give some input. I only caught one coyote last year on a drag. Sabertooth. It was on the top of a river dyke. Coyote went off the tall grass bank away from the river towards the open corn stubble field. Even with the drag tips full of grass he only made it about 15 yards into the plowed stubble before one of the pointed prongs hung up on a sod head sticking up. Used about 11 feet of chain including the trap chain. They could easily change direction and get free for a short distance but don't appear to do that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91